My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDMI to SCART convertor?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Breck

Hi there! New member and first post, so forgive me if it sounds daft!

I'm perturbed by currently not being able to transfer films I have recorded on my 1000S to my PC or Popcorn Hour Networked Media Tank. I had a go at copying a film via Scart to my DVD Recorder, but the drop in quality wasn't really acceptable to me.

I had a quick Google and spotted one of those HDMI to Scart gizmos (like this one: https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCART-Video-Converter-Camera-Player/dp/B00809UFVM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1362735075&sr=8-2).

What I'd like to know is, has anyone any experience of using one of these things, and is the quality any good? I'm not willing to pay £40 if there's no difference in quality.

Also, does anyone know (or can anyone theorise) if there'll ever be a way to transfer files directly from the 1000s to another networked hard drive, like my Popcorn Hour NMJ?

Thanks for your help.

Breck.

| Fri 8 Mar 2013 10:42:09 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

No point in buying this, it will do the same job as the built in conversion in the box.

Check that you are using RGB as the copy source if your DVD recorder is capable of recording RGB. Home/Settings/Picture & Sound/TV scart is set to RGB.

Simply connect the existing scart socket to your TV using a RGB capable socket on the TV to see the quality available. You may even find that SD channels actually look better via scart than HDMI.

Recordings on the box are contained in an encrypted partition, unlikely you will be able to export recordings like you can on a Foxsat-hdr. Viewing recordings on suitable DLNA equipped kit over a network should be possible when the DLNA client software upgrade is released.

| Fri 8 Mar 2013 11:52:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    Viewing recordings on suitable DLNA equipped kit over a network should be possible when the DLNA client software upgrade is released.

Surely you mean server upgrade?

| Fri 8 Mar 2013 13:00:54 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 2 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    Viewing recordings on suitable DLNA equipped kit over a network should be possible when the DLNA client software upgrade is released.

Surely you mean server upgrade?

Indeed

| Fri 8 Mar 2013 15:03:07 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Breck

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go tonight, but I'm wondering whether I should have gone for a Foxsat-hdr instead!

Cheers.

| Fri 8 Mar 2013 17:28:02 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Breck - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go tonight, but I'm wondering whether I should have gone for a Foxsat-hdr instead!
    Cheers.

If exporting recordings is important to you a Foxsat-hdr or the Freeview-HD HDR FOX T2 would be a lot more suitable.

| Fri 8 Mar 2013 17:47:34 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Breck

I'm starting to think this is the case... Having a quick look for one to buy but they seem to be scarce!

Clutching at straws here but does anyone know if this kind of thing could be used in any way to record from the 1000S? https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002YDJP34/ref=mw_dp_mpd?pd=1&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1362952208&sr=8-11

Thanks.

| Sun 10 Mar 2013 22:57:15 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Breck

Forget what I said. I just tried Graham's RGB suggestion and adjusting my Sony RDR-HXD870's line in setting to RGB, and the recorded image quality via scart is excellent!! Problem solved and I'm a happy man! Thanks again.

| Sun 10 Mar 2013 23:29:33 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.