My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR-1000s and Netflix

(32 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

badgerman

Will the HDR-1000s ever get a Netflix app?

Thanks all.

| Sun 23 Nov 2014 22:38:52 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Who knows.

Asked what was stopping bringing Netflix to Freesat right now, the company explained there was an "issue of scale". Around 1.85 million people currently use Freesat, which isn't enough to satisfy Netflix's requirements.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/1400954/freesat-in-talks-with-netflix-amazon

| Sun 23 Nov 2014 23:27:36 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

badgerman

Surely its just a case of slapping the java app on the box? That's all it is on Android devices.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 13:57:03 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Scale as in potential numbers of viewers. Not worth Netflix's time.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 14:09:18 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 

In such situations the "host" organisation i.e. freesat would want to share the revenue stream.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 15:55:31 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

REPASSAC - 9 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 

In such situations the "host" organisation i.e. freesat would want to share the revenue stream.

My speculation:

Netflix has recently come to retail YouView, which in some ways is comparable to Freesat: small fragmented userbase, no paywall, etc

But the ISP-tied YouView userbase is much much larger and includes BT, who Netflix have previouly described as their natural UK partner. Presumably, this desirable link-up made it worth Netflix's while to accept that the player would also be available to the fragmented retail userbase.

Freesat has no such carrot to attract Netflix.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 16:15:17 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Here is a piece of auto translated French re my ISP (Free):

"PARIS (Reuters) - Free did not intend in the immediate future to carry on its boxes offer video Netflix unlimited deal unattractive commercial conditions imposed in him by the American giant.

A subsidiary of Iliad is now the only one of four french telecom operators NOT to have found agreement with the Californian company which will however be distributed by Bouygues Telecom (Bouygues subsidiary), Orange and SFR (Vivendi).

"Free has just decided not to sleep, not to lie down immediately before the great American who arrived with a scarecrow", Maxime Lombardini Iliad Managing Director told a symposium organized by Arcep.

"Resume Netflix Netflix conditions as has been done by some and by others it seems to us not be a good idea", he added.

Netflix would be willing to pay the operators that 10% of revenues generated by its subscriptions whose prices range from 7.99 to 11.99 euros per month compared to 30% in average for french players.

SFR, Orange and Bouygues Telecom have not disclosed the financial terms of their agreement with Netflix.

Maxime Lombardini draws a parallel with the rise of the boxes with the Google Android interface, which was adopted in France by SFR and Bouygues Télécom more recently.

This expansion threatens, according to her, questioning the control that previously had the french telecom operators on their boxes.

"Android on the boxes is to give Google access to our boxes. Tomorrow when we will have an Android on the whole France Park, it will be Google that may decide the VOD that will be distributed from Mountain View", he said.

Remains to be seen how long the Group of Xavier Niel can camp on its positions if claimed a portion of its customers a service that is offered by all competitors.

Orange said discuss with other french actors to develop a common platform for video on demand subscription, an approach which could be seen favourably by the Government which wants to promote legal offers to counter piracy.

The creation of such a French platform of content however repeatedly raised in the past without ever reaching.

Edit: Minor adjustments to some of the auto translation.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 16:37:49 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Sorry, Repassac, I must admit I don't understand the translated article. I know Netflix is being sued in France but don't know what the issues are.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 16:43:07 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

JamesB - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Sorry, Repassac, I must admit I don't understand the translated article. I know Netflix is being sued in France but don't know what the issues are.

Basically the French ISP's normally expect a 30% cut, Netflix offers 10%. My ISP declined for the present.
    My guess is that Netflix offered freesat even less.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 16:48:01 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

REPASSAC - 3 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 2 minutes ago  » 

Basically the French ISP's normally expect a 30% cut, Netflix offers 10%. My ISP declined for the present.
    My guess is that Netflix offered freesat even less.

Yes, you may be right.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 16:52:20 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.