My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR-1000S died, accessing HDD in new machine?

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

hdrdied

I have a Humax HDR-1000S (5 year old) which abruptly turned itself off and refuses to switch back on.
    I have tried the basics: Power block appears to be working / Disconnect HDD power and sata(?) / Disconnect machine, leave over-night & try to re-power.

I know the hard disc still works because i connected it to a linux NAS using an external caddy. I couldn't access the files but I could see the 3 directories and the size / usage.

I have ordered a HDR-1100S as a replacement but I want to recover the data on the old HDD.
    1. A couple of questions if I may: If I attach the old HDD via USB caddy to the new machine will I be able to access the files, SD at least?
    2. Is it worth sending the HDR-1000S for repair? I don't want to repair it if I cannot access the HDD if the encryption key changes

thanks.

Ordinarily I would now simply buy a new box BUT for the fact there is a significant amount of recorded material that we wish to recover. I understand that playback is box specific due to encryption

| Sun 8 Sep 2019 14:50:09 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

HD recording is encrypted using a key believed to be derived from the box serial number and it's mac address so they will not play on a new box. . Afaik no one has found how to find the key, though there are threads on Hummy-TV that has the details required using a HDR-FOX-T2.

| Sun 8 Sep 2019 15:52:39 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

hdrdied

Thanks for your reply, understand regards HD recordings but theoretically i should be able to access the SD recordings on the old HDD via a USB connection to the new box? ....

| Sun 8 Sep 2019 16:47:25 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

hdrdied - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for your reply, understand regards HD recordings but theoretically I should be able to access the SD recordings on the old HDD via a USB connection to the new box? ....

There is no way to export recordings on a HDR-1000S though you may be able to copy SD to a PC by removing the Hard drive and drive cradle using a PC booted into Linux and repeat the process to upload them to the new box hard drive.

| Sun 8 Sep 2019 18:38:01 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.