My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR-1000S hard drive wiped

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

tonegee

I know this has been mentioned before because I was a part of the discussion but it was a long time ago and I can't find the thread.

This morning my Humax HDR-1000S 500GB box wouldn't load up any of my recordings or let record anything because it said I needed to format the hard drive first. I looked in the settings and it said that there was 0GB of hard drive space available and 0GB used etc.

Needless to say that when I clicked on the OK button it then proceeded to format the hard drive and wipe everything.

This happened before when the hard drive got to 24% and has now happened again at 24%. So would this be a faulty hard drive ? or is there something wrong with the box itself ?

I've had the box over two years now and have decided to stick a 1TB hard drive in it when it arrives in the hope that it is just a hard drive problem but if anyone else has other ideas then please let me know.

Thanks

| Mon 16 Feb 2015 20:03:07 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

tonegee - 2 hours ago  » 
    I know this has been mentioned before because I was a part of the discussion but it was a long time ago and I can't find the thread.
    This morning my Humax HDR-1000S 500GB box wouldn't load up any of my recordings or let record anything because it said I needed to format the hard drive first. I looked in the settings and it said that there was 0GB of hard drive space available and 0GB used etc.
    Needless to say that when I clicked on the OK button it then proceeded to format the hard drive and wipe everything.
    This happened before when the hard drive got to 24% and has now happened again at 24%. So would this be a faulty hard drive ? or is there something wrong with the box itself ?
    I've had the box over two years now and have decided to stick a 1TB hard drive in it when it arrives in the hope that it is just a hard drive problem but if anyone else has other ideas then please let me know.
    Thanks

MY advice would be not to ok the format several time at least.
    Possibly a boot glitch or not.

| Mon 16 Feb 2015 22:19:05 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I have experienced this in the past. I simply unplugged the box, waited a while, rebooted and hey presto! all the recordings were back, problem solved.

At the end of the day these modern day PVRs are mini computers and you have to treat them as such.

| Tue 17 Feb 2015 10:20:24 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

tonegee

I tried that several times, and I turn off my box every night at the mains. This exact same issue has happened to me before when the hard drive reached 24% full.

I'm going to assume it's a hard drive fault and replace it with a 1TB one and then at least if it happens again I will know it wasn't the hard drive I suppose.

What would you say is the best set top box similar to this one on the market today is ? just in case it turns out to be a fault with the box itself.

| Tue 17 Feb 2015 11:12:50 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ozzy

I don't think you are supposed to turn it off at the mains, just put it into standby with the remote control. The box will think it keeps getting a power cut every day.

| Fri 27 Feb 2015 23:43:08 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

There's nothing wrong with turning off at the mains, the only and biggest problem is that most people don't do it correctly.

Pulling the power or putting it into standby and switching off at the mains immediately will cause hard drive corruption. When powered back up it'll take a while to sort out which causes problems. Imagine stopping a car by cutting the fuel supply, it'll have problems when starting again. The same with a PC if the power supply is interrupted, it'll take a lot longer before it's ready when switched back on again.

The box needs to be put into standby and then wait for the disk to spin down which can be a few minutes or more. Only when the disk has stopped is it safe to switch off the power supply.

Anybody who's having problems with on-demand, iplayer, recordings or disk missing etc. etc. and thinks rebooting it by pulling the power is only causing more problems. The box needs to be cleanly shutdown, which is by putting into standby and waiting however long it takes for the disk to stop before removing the power.

For most users leaving it in eco mode and giving it a clean reboot/power-cycle once in a while if there are problems is the best policy

| Sat 28 Feb 2015 1:41:13 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.