My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR-1000S sound through HiFi amp

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

I have connected my HDR-1000S directly to my HiFi Amp (Naim Supernait, intergrated amplifier) by toss link, optical cable, so that I can enjoy the sound through my Spendor A5 speakers, but the sound is echoing, and is not listenable. I tried the toss link cable via my Sony TV to the amp, and this was much better, but not perfect.

In settings, I have set the Digital Audio out to 'Stereo'.

The Lip-sync has no affect.

Please can anyone assist, and tell me why the sound is coming out all echoing.

Thanks

| Fri 19 Dec 2014 17:56:46 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Have you muted the TV speakers ?

| Fri 19 Dec 2014 18:05:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulius55

Please don't be offended, but you have muted the TV sound haven't you? If not it will echo as the sound is very slightly out of phase.

| Fri 19 Dec 2014 18:06:28 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

I haven't. I just thought more sound the merrier!

| Fri 19 Dec 2014 21:22:56 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

My message cut off for some reason...I haven't. I just thought more sound the merrier!

| Fri 19 Dec 2014 21:24:48 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

I haven't. I just thought more sound the merrier! I will try that and let you know. Having said that, when the connection is via the TV, there is a very slight, almost unnoticeable Echo. TV sound left on.

The HDR-1000S is connected to my Sony TV by HDMI cable, then toss link cable from audio out of the TV to amp.

Update: Just connected the HDR-1000S directly to my amp, turned off the TV's sound, and the echo has gone! It means cranking up the amp a bit more though. Still don't really understand why it does that? Especially as the connection is direct.

Thank you both for your help.

David

| Fri 19 Dec 2014 21:25:27 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The problem is when you use a digital audio and video connection to deliver sound to a TV, the TV takes a little longer to process the video than the audio. As a result the TV has a built in video delay to keep the audio in synch with the video. Your amplifier delivers the audio without the built in delay via the toslink connection. A few milliseconds difference between the two produces the echo effect. An echo is exactly that a reflection of sound over a longer path delaying the reflected sound by a few milliseconds.

A tiny difference is easily perceived. Off Topic Anyone who has any experience of synchronising two or more camcorder recordings can use the resulting echo to synchronise the video from more than 1 source. All you have to do then is choose the best audio

A dedicated AV amp could probably correct the problem.

You can eliminate the volume difference by increasing the volume output of the HDR-1000S by simply turning up the box pcm volume output using the supplied remote volume control. I suggest turning it up to 100%, leaving it there and then using the amp volume.

| Fri 19 Dec 2014 21:43:14 #7 |
  8. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

As Graham said its because of the TV processing of the picture, when using toss link to amp you may want to adjust the Lip-Sync slightly, for my Samsung TV I have it set to 120ms. If you open YouTube there are some Lip-Sync adjustment videos that can help get get it correct for your TV. Try this on the TV http://youtu.be/bCPEidaVzQU

There is however another way to eliminate that echo pretty much completely if you'd prefer to also have to TV volume on and that's if your TV has a Game mode for the HDMI connection your using which basically disables certain picture setting options to cut down/eliminate the screen processing time.
    I have to use this method for my Apple TV as both my Amp & AppleTV have no Lip-Sync options, if I didnt then 5.1 would be useless as the picture and sound would be out of sync when using the amp.

| Sat 20 Dec 2014 10:42:39 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.