My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1010s External Drive Watching MPG Woes

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rij23

Hi really love the 1010s box perfect, well nearly. When connecting external hard drive I can watch movies or tv shows only once. They have all been formatted in mpg and play fine on WD and Sony boxes but on the 1010s as soon as the movie is stopped an hmi and png file is created and it stops you from replaying saying that format is unreadable after initially playing it, what's going on!. Just so annoying as the box is fast at reading the data and it would be really nice to keep external drives hooked up all the time and in one place. Any suggestions as to what to do? I did telephone the Humax helpline and they said to try a reset to factory settings which didn't work and that they were unaware of any problems. Wonder if anyone can help?

| Tue 17 Dec 2013 8:12:51 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Teb5

Rij23 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi really love the 1010s box perfect, well nearly. When connecting external hard drive I can watch movies or tv shows only once. They have all been formatted in mpg and play fine on WD and Sony boxes but on the 1010s as soon as the movie is stopped an hmi and png file is created and it stops you from replaying saying that format is unreadable after initially playing it, what's going on!. Just so annoying as the box is fast at reading the data and it would be really nice to keep external drives hooked up all the time and in one place. Any suggestions as to what to do? I did telephone the Humax helpline and they said to try a reset to factory settings which didn't work and that they were unaware of any problems. Wonder if anyone can help?

Although I don't use an external hard-drive I use a 32gig memory stick and my box does not recognise mpg files either. If you have a computer you can convert your media files to mp4 format and they will work fine without losing any quality. There are a couple of good programs that you can use for this and they are free to download and use. They are "Format Factory" and "Video to Video". Hope this helps.

P.S. I have not posted links for these programs because I am not sure that is allowed.

| Tue 17 Dec 2013 9:52:04 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The .png (Portable Network Graphics) file is a graphics thumbnail created from a frame of the film and used as thumbnail icon (If you open one on your PC by double clicking your default graphics viewer programme should show it). Not sure what the other is (hmi is normally used for Midi audio sound support files).

I get the files, but they don't affect replay. I store all my files with a transport stream (.TS) extention.

Can you try renaming one to .ts (usually works) and see if that resolves the issue.

Welcome to the forum

I will create a programme stream (.mpg) file and see if I can repeat your problem.

| Tue 17 Dec 2013 10:05:12 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I created a short 3 minute file (720 x 576 (576i) 4:3 ) from an old Star Trek recording. Copied it to usb, played it back multiple times without issue. Connected drive to PC and confirmed the two sidecar files were created.

If you can upload a file somewhere that creates your problem I will see if I can re-create the issue and perhaps find a solution.

| Tue 17 Dec 2013 10:24:42 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rij23

Hi Guys, thanks very much for your prompt help. I have started ts on files and it works a treat!!

| Fri 20 Dec 2013 11:19:26 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.