My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1010S Failures HDD or Mainboard or Capacitors?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

matt_nottm

I have a Humax HDR 1010S CPU B/D Rev1.0 1TB recorder in white.

I don't use it that often, but the last few times I've come to use it, it has been dead and has required a power cycle to work again. This has stopped working now unless the power is off for a while, and then it will only work for about 3-4 minutes before freezing.

How do I establish if it is the HDD or another issue?

Should the unit boot without the HDD and work as a freeview receiver with no recording capability? This should establish if it is the HDD or the main board. I've stripped the HDD out at the moment, and I'm just leaving it for a few hours before connecting the unit again.

I've searched on the forum and one of the posters has said that capacitors are not a common issue; but I've ordered RubyCon YXF series replacements for the "Sam Young" through hole capacitors used just incase. I am not too confident with surface mount devices and have ignored those for the moment.

Any other helpful advice?

| Fri 21 Dec 2018 16:21:32 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi Matt_nottm, unfortunately your model is the one that may have the problem with Motherboard/Sata interface, which eventually will not even boot to Hard Drive. Mine was swapped for the newer model nearly 2 years ago with no problems since. Capacitors can cause problems, but it may not even be this. If you are good at soldering worth a try first to see if an improvement. I'm not sure if Humax are still offering a replacement model for a small charge. If your pvr was purchased in recent years you should be able to claim something done under the sales of goods act, which as far as I can remember (I may be wrong) upto 6 years. Might be worth contacting them directly for advice. Hope I may have been of help to you. John

| Fri 21 Dec 2018 17:01:40 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

My HDR-1000S HDD failed and box wouldn't boot. Disconnecting the hard drive data and power connections allowed the box to boot. A new 2TB Seagate pipeline restored full working order.

| Fri 21 Dec 2018 17:33:08 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

matt_nottm

John/Graham, thank you for your advice. I've found the receipt and I bought it back on the 25th January 2015, so very nearly four years old. I've opened it up, so I have had to remove the warranty sticker from the side. If I get no joy from self repair, I'll see what Humax say.

I will try and replace the capacitors as I've a nice solder removal station and I've done this job on many retro computers.

I have removed the HDD completely and the box still does not seem to want to boot at all.

Thanks for the advice, I'll report back. Any other feedback appreciated.

| Fri 21 Dec 2018 19:20:56 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Possible external power supply failure?
    You sound like someone that could test for this V and AMPs

| Fri 21 Dec 2018 20:29:16 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

matt_nottm

Good shout, it is happy supplying 12V at a few AMPs and is rated up to 4 AMPs. I've also swapped over with one from a known good Humax 1100S.

Power supply is okay, but it was worth checking.

Unit is dead with and without HDD, the only life I see is a brief red LED illumination from SPDIF port.

I'll try the capacitors on Monday when they should arrive, then call Humax if not just to see if they will offer anything (not that I'm expecting anything with it being four years old and opened up.

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 9:55:25 #6 |
  7. Trev

Trev

special member

Being a nice and easy place to get at, you could always have a go at checking the 12 and 5V supply to the HDD to see if they are present on the board.

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 14:54:06 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

matt_nottm

Thanks for all of the advice.

There was no 5v or 12v at the power supply to the HDD; however, I could trace 12v in from the power jack onto the motherboard.

I replaced the five through hole capacitors, but it has not made any difference. I tested the original capacitors and they were all within 5-20% tolerance (some higher than I would expected, but certainly not as bad as I've seen).

I'll give Humax a call, otherwise it is going to be a new box. A four layer PCB with SMD is a bit beyond my repair skills.

Thanks for your help.

| Mon 24 Dec 2018 13:44:24 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.