My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR-1100S sometimes reboots or shows snowy screen

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

The box was new in August 2017 so nearly 7-years old now.
    About 3 times over the last 2-months the box has suddenly switched itself off and rebooted.
    Also 2 times I have switched the Humax On and saw a snowy screen. There was no picture. The front-end menu screen did not appear and pressing buttons did not work. Switched it off at wall and back on again fixed it.

So that's 2 issues. Are they related or separate issues?

Is it the hard disk or a component issue?

If it is the HDD then what spec should it be? I only need 500GB but I believe it needs to be suitable for PVR use.

Thanks for any help.

| Mon 22 Jul 2024 10:07:03 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

P.S. I have looked online re HDDs and there is a lot of contradictions out there and some of the models mentioned are no longer available since they are old threads.

| Mon 22 Jul 2024 10:10:14 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

I forgot to say, in case it is relevant, that the first reboot happened while streaming something. Probably Netflix. The second reboot happened while watching a recording.

| Mon 22 Jul 2024 12:07:47 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi Justintime,

Welcome to the forum. The best thing to do in all cases with pvrs is to do a factory reset first. My guess box software has got corrupted or maybe hard drive needs a reformat, but try a factory reset first, to iron out any bugs. This won't delete your recordings, but will "maybe" give your pvr a "refresh". Make sure you make a note of recording schedules, as these will be removed when resetting, plus you also settings that you have configured. Once reset, box will rescan channels, you will have to rekey in passwords for apps, adjust settings & also you key in all your epg schedules.

If that doesn't work, then it maybe a corrupted hard drive. One partition has the 2 hour buffer and this could have got corrupted in use. The only fix is a reformat. Hope I have given you a few tips. Please let forum know if this works. John L

| Wed 24 Jul 2024 12:51:13 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

Thank you John. At the moment it is not happening that often so I do not want to go through the reset process. This is also because it didn't seem to help @Teeside who has the same problem. See their posts dated 11th and 13th June recently.

Similarly with formatting the hard drive.

If it starts happening regularly then I may try it. I'll report back if there is anything useful to report that may help others.

| Thu 25 Jul 2024 9:06:38 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

If your problem persists and a reset to defaults doesn't work it may be worth re-installing the software from a usb stick. It can be downloaded from the Humax website on the support page and there are also instructions on how to do it. It's quite quick and easy, you'll need a blank usb memory stick which can be quite small (I have used a 128MB one).

I did this recently on an HDR-1100S to fix a problem where the unit couldn't find the satellite, works fine after setting up again. You won't lose anything on the hard disk. By the way, I just upgraded it from 500GB to 2TB so the old disk is available, send a PM if you need it, would just need to cover the postage.

| Thu 25 Jul 2024 12:41:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

batteryman - Thank you. I like the sound of that idea. I say that because it installs a completely 'clean' OS, rather than refreshing the existing OS.

It does, however lead me to question your statement "You won't lose anything on the hard disk."? Are you speaking from experience of having done it?
    I assume you mean my recordings but, as John L states, I assume I would have to "Make sure you make a note of recording schedules, as these will be removed when resetting, plus you also settings that you have configured. Once reset, box will rescan channels, you will have to rekey in passwords for apps, adjust settings & also you key in all your epg schedules."

In case it helps others here is the link to the support page: -

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/support/?product_id=857&curr_page=sw_release

I have downloaded the file ready for use if I decide to go ahead. It may not be for some time if the box behaves itself. I will report back but don't hold your breath.

| Thu 25 Jul 2024 13:12:08 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Hi, coming back on your query re the hard disk. I can't remember if I have re-installed the software on a unit with files on the disk, but it certainly isn't re-formatted during software installation. I've had several freeview units which have had a software update from the internet via wi-fi and the recorded files weren't touched - intact after the update.

As you say, the schedules do disappear during update, as they do if you reset to defaults without updating software. Hope you can sort it.

| Thu 25 Jul 2024 13:40:12 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi there folks,

Reinstalling software will NOT affect your hard drive recordings. Done it myself a few times in past and all it does is reverts you back to previous firmware or updated firmware. But from memory, you will need to get previous version of firmware as the 1100S will not flash with same version. (correct me if I am wrong! anyone that has done it before) and then reinstall the current version again. There maybe a way to trick firmware by renumbering the file. Not often that you need to reinstall firmware.

Hope this helps! John L

| Thu 25 Jul 2024 15:23:18 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

John - The link I gave in post #6 downloads the latest software that is the same as already installed on my Humax box so I am hoping that I will not need to install a previous firmware version?

Download file software details are the same as installed on my existing Humax: -
    • Software version: UKSFAA 3.01.01
    • Loader version: UKSFAA 1.09
    • Update date: 24 MAY 2022
    • System id: 809C.7D05

Does this change your advice regarding having to install an earlier firmware version?

| Thu 25 Jul 2024 17:28:14 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.