My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR 1800T

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bw78007

My Humax HDR 1800T playing up 50% of the time when I switch it on I have no media, I have found if I ask it to record manually the hard drive kicks in, So I thought I would try another hard drive, took a 320gb from a SKY box but the Humax won't see it, I found I could format it in factory settings but I just get processing any ideas please, is this a known fault and how do I fit a different hard drive

| Mon 18 Mar 2019 13:56:24 #1 |
  2. dpoet13

dpoet13

I have the same problem with an 1800t, I unplug and plug in box without waiting, I do it quickly so I don't lose scheduled recordings. It seems to be a common fault with this box.

Your new hard drive will need jumpers set in correct position.
    They are next to hard drive connector, don't know correct setting though sorry.

| Sun 31 Mar 2019 19:53:28 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes its a very well known fault.
    As far as Im concerned the 2000 and the 1800t have never been right

I dont know if they have been working behind the scenes to improve new batches as there seem to have been plenty of returns creating refurbished stock. I dont know how many versions of the motherboard there are. I know they have been cutting costs since the MK1 version of the 2000( the 1800 is essentially the same)

Humax fixed the sound issue with an update but they havent fixed the hard drive recognition problem. Mine was also unacceptably noisy so I feel they rushed them to market without final design QC checks

Personally I dont think Humax have been too bothered and its a percentage game of returns. I should have returned mine and I will never make that mistake again with any product

| Sun 31 Mar 2019 20:39:41 #3 |
  4. dpoet13

dpoet13

I will not buy any more Humax devices that's for sure

| Sun 31 Mar 2019 21:00:45 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

I've fitted hard disks to two HDR 2000T machines and also had a problem with disk recognition. I found that if the disks were formatted to NTFS using Windows 10, the Humax would then recognise them and formatting went OK using the Humax format routine.

PS I've never had to change jumpers when fitting a SATA hard drive to any Humax - PVR9300T, Foxsat HDR or HDR2000T.

| Tue 2 Apr 2019 18:54:34 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

batteryman - 9 minutes ago  » 
    I've fitted hard disks to two HDR 2000T machines and also had a problem with disk recognition. I found that if the disks were formatted to NTFS using Windows 10, the Humax would then recognise them and formatting went OK using the Humax format routine.
    PS I've never had to change jumpers when fitting a SATA hard drive to any Humax - PVR9300T, Foxsat HDR or HDR2000T.

Depends on the drive you used. If you fit a newer WD drive to a Foxsat-HDR you have to fit the speed reducing jumper. Seagate pipeline drives don't have jumpers so presumably they auto adjust to the drive controller capability.

| Tue 2 Apr 2019 19:06:48 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

well The Humax should be able to recognise its factory fitted disc as it does 50% of the time.

I wouldnt get peoples hopes up about swapping drives and thats only something that a keen hobbyist is going to do with those machines. I could swap a drive but I cant be bothered buying one for this unit as I would rather buy a new pvr

By the time you have bought a decent drive(unless one is knocking about)you may as well just get another PVR anyway

Point is we shouldnt have to be talking about the jumper config on a product thats just supposed to work for years until uneconomical to repair

| Wed 3 Apr 2019 20:43:40 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Minstrel SE - 2 minutes ago  » 
    well The Humax should be able to recognise its factory fitted disc as it does 50% of the time.
    I wouldnt get peoples hopes up about swapping drives and thats only something that a keen hobbyist is going to do with those machines. I could swap a drive but I cant be bothered buying one for this unit as I would rather buy a new pvr
    By the time you have bought a decent drive(unless one is knocking about)you may as well just get another PVR anyway
    Point is we shouldnt have to be talking about the jumper config on a product thats just supposed to work for years until uneconomical to repair

That's a rather daft post. The one component in a pvr with moving parts parts is the hard disk, and hence the only component that is likely to fail prematurely is the Hard disk.

You have completely missed the point re the jumper settings.

The poster does not say he replaced the hard disk with the same spec disk at all. Most likely the disk used was not the original spec but one designed to be capable of supporting higher transfer speeds when fitted to newer kit when fitted to a newer machine with support for later SATA versions.

I have no experience with 1800/2000T boxes but in general you can expect to change a hard disk in a Humax pvr long before other component failures make it uneconomic to do so.
    The totally unknown figure here is the number of running hours and the disk shut downs and start ups that the hard disk has done.

I have a original Foxsat-HDR that has the 1TB disk in it I put in just after launch. It doesn't do much recording and it still works fine.

I have a HDR-1000S from the very first batch that had a 2TB drive installed in it, that worked verey hard being on at least 18hrs/day (The box is recording all the time it's on). The drive failed about 2.5yrs later. Replacing the drive restored 100% function and it's been about 2yrs now. I fully expect to replace it again before the box fails completely.

I have two HDR-FOX-T2's that are still working just fine.

You have completely missed the point re the jumper settings. Since the earlier boxes were built the original, Serial ATA (SATA) spec has advanced with the maximum data speed increasing by 3 times 1, 2 and 3).

It's entirely reasonable to expect that a 10yr old PVR may require a hard disk change.

The original hardware may only support SATA 2.0.

Western Digital chose to support the earlier spec by simply providing a simple drive jumper.

This is nothing to do with Humax, it's merely the rapid advance of all things computing.

Would you expect a 10yr old PC to be able to play back 4K UHD video ?

| Wed 3 Apr 2019 21:10:53 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Minstrel SE - 3 hours ago  » 
    I wouldnt get peoples hopes up about swapping drives and thats only something that a keen hobbyist is going to do with those machines.

It is a very straightforward procedure to change the hard drive in an HDR-1800T/2000T. I think it took 15 minutes the last time I changed one and nothing needed to be done to prepare the drive.

| Thu 4 Apr 2019 0:13:32 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Ok yes I accept what you are saying but Im getting frustrated with you talking about hard drive swaps. Yes I could easily do it and have swapped several drives.

However we are talking about the 1800 and slightly bigger brother the 2000t here. Large batches if not all of them are not fit for purpose in my opinion

You are referencing a different model that doesnt have the chronic issues of a budget product rushed out to meet a price point.

My post is not that daft when you consider that most 1800t owners posting here just want the thing working without sourcing drives. It wont work because there is something flawed with the firmware or motherboard. It took them years to update the sound issue suggesting the firmware is all up the chute!

The op was frustrated that the product didnt work properly 50% of the time. Swapping the drive is not a guaranteed answer to these issues. If someone wants to try it thats up to them but I wouldnt advise them to spend more money on a product that has never been right...I strongly suspect it wont read any new hard drive 50% of the time.

You say yourself that you dont know the issues on these models. I do to a point and the best advice is to send them back if they can.

If there are firmware issues in the unit as I believe then spending money on a new drive could be a complete waste of money

| Thu 4 Apr 2019 6:20:56 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.