My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR-1800T Live TV Playing Issue

(40 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiffy2

My HDR-1800T is freezing then re-starting (video & audio)every few seconds while playing live TV (any channel, recording & play back is still perfect, signal strength/quality has not changed, TV on same antenna system is perfect, no pixilation observed, just freezing/re-starting.

FW is latest, UKTFAC 1.01.20, 08/01/18 and has not been changed since last revision release.

Any suggestions welcomed.

| Thu 25 Apr 2019 22:01:57 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

tiffy2 - 1 hour ago  » 
    My HDR-1800T is freezing then re-starting (video & audio)every few seconds while playing live TV (any channel, recording & play back is still perfect, signal strength/quality has not changed, TV on same antenna system is perfect, no pixilation observed, just freezing/re-starting.

Not sure what is going on. Please can you give the values for signal strength and quality?

| Thu 25 Apr 2019 23:14:40 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiffy2

Thanks for the reply and interest.
    Signal strength is 68
    Signal quality is 100
    Indications from box on BBC-1 HD

| Thu 25 Apr 2019 23:52:19 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

tiffy2 - 9 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for the reply and interest.
    Signal strength is 68
    Signal quality is 100
    Indications from box on BBC-1 HD

Those values are exactly as they should be. My only thought is that perhaps the area of the hard drive that is used by the buffer that provides the ability to pause or rewind live TV is developing a fault that is causing the hard drive to retry. How long are the pauses?

| Fri 26 Apr 2019 8:58:59 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiffy2

Thanks for the further reply.
    Yes, I did see the view that it could be a HD buffer issue in some older forum posts and suggesting that a re-format of the HD should be tried, could not see any positive record if this action had actually resulted in a cure.

Some advice before I proceed with re-formatting:

What's the best method to save/archive my existing recordings ?
    (I do have access to the recorder on my LAN via Filezilla client or could use a local, portable USB drive of suitable capacity)

What is the recommended method to re-format the hard drive ?

| Fri 26 Apr 2019 10:07:39 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiffy2

A further observation on the issue this morning, pausing live TV (even for a few seconds) and re-starting produces normal video/sound until the stop (return to live TV) is activated.

| Fri 26 Apr 2019 11:09:37 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

tiffy2 - 21 minutes ago  » 
    A further observation on the issue this morning, pausing live TV (even for a few seconds) and re-starting produces normal video/sound until the stop (return to live TV) is activated.

So that doesn't fit with the theory of it being a buffer problem. Maybe somebody else has a better idea.

| Fri 26 Apr 2019 11:32:05 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiffy2

Ahh, in my ignorance of the subject I thought it possibly would indicate a buffer issue, I bow to your superior knowledge.

From a quick scan of the forum in general it would appear that getting technical assistance directly from Humax is difficult and certainly not fast, hopefully some of the many knowledgable forum members will come up with suggestions regarding if it's worth the effort to re-format the hard drive or even consider HD replacement.

| Fri 26 Apr 2019 12:04:43 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiffy2

After further research,to answer my own questions from earlier post:

Drive re-formatting is achieved via the in-built Humax, menu utility and appears to be easily enough achieved.

Backup of existing, recording archives can be achieved across my LAN using FileZilla, have tried copying to NAS, delating original files then re-copying back to Humax, no issues, still play perfectly.

However, although my LAN is Gigabyte capable I'am sure the Humax ethernet port is not, copying my very modest archieve file storage to NAS is still going to take a very long time as will copying back again after formatting.

Is this worth the effort and likely to produce a solution ?

| Fri 26 Apr 2019 15:55:54 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

tiffy2 - 3 minutes ago  » 
    After further research,to answer my own questions from earlier post:
    Drive re-formatting is achieved via the in-built Humax, menu utility and appears to be easily enough achieved.
    Backup of existing, recording archives can be achieved across my LAN using FileZilla, have tried copying to NAS, delating original files then re-copying back to Humax, no issues, still play perfectly.
    However, although my LAN is Gigabyte capable I'am sure the Humax ethernet port is not, copying my very modest archieve file storage to NAS is still going to take a very long time as will copying back again after formatting.
    Is this worth the effort and likely to produce a solution ?

The usb port is 2.0. But the port or network isn't the bottleneck. It's the low cpu priority given to usb transfers compared to the main pvr features.

Removing the drive and slotting it into a usb connected drive cradle to a PC booted in to Linux will be many times faster. Even faster if you have a cradle with a esata connection and a PC with a sata external port.

Basically as fast as the drive perfomance.

Assuming SATA3

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8142/~/difference-between-sata-i%2C-sata-ii-and-sata-iii

You can try increasing the speed by tuning to a off air TV station or a radio one.

This did increase usb transfer speeds on the earlier Topfield pvrs.

| Fri 26 Apr 2019 16:03:32 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.