My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR-1800T Live TV Playing Issue

(40 posts)
  1. Trev

Trev

special member

But tiffy2 was asking about the Ethernet port in that post.

| Fri 26 Apr 2019 16:48:54 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Trev - 9 minutes ago  » 
    But tiffy2 was asking about the Ethernet port in that post.

Same applies it's still cpu limited. Though it might be a bit faster than usb. The port will be cat5 10/100 capable. Transfer speeds will be much lower. No point in having anything faster.

Not having the 2000T I can only estimate transfer speeds based on a HDR-FOX-T2.

| Fri 26 Apr 2019 17:00:35 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiffy2

@grahamlthompson:

Thanks for your reply, interest & support.

I do have a SATA/USB-3 externally powered adaptor and a dual boot (Win 10/Linux Mint) i5 desktop PC available, (no external e-sata facility) so could go down the route you have suggested (up to USB-3 speed limitations)to create backups, however, with your obvious vast experience and knowledge of the subject do you think that a HD re-format is likely to address my current issue or am I likely to be wasting my time ?

| Fri 26 Apr 2019 17:09:32 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

tiffy2 - 19 minutes ago  » 
    @grahamlthompson:
    Thanks for your reply, interest & support.
    I do have a SATA/USB-3 externally powered adaptor and a dual boot (Win 10/Linux Mint) i5 desktop PC available, (no external e-sata facility) so could go down the route you have suggested (up to USB-3 speed limitations)to create backups, however, with your obvious vast experience and knowledge of the subject do you think that a HD re-format is likely to address my current issue or am I likely to be wasting my time ?

As you have a Linux capability. Why not remove the drive and run a non destructive Linux FS check and repair ? Though for safety I would copy the recordings to safe place. It won't take very long.

Shame the 1800/2000T doesn't have the custom firmware capability. You can do this without removing the hard disk by using the CF maintenance mode capability.

Consider replacing the box with a used HDR-FOX-T2. The CF transforms the box.

| Fri 26 Apr 2019 17:34:32 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiffy2

Thanks for the further reply.

Yes, appreciate the benefits of the custom firmware, have owned and used the Foxsat-HDR running custom FW for many years, still active, however, the wife prefers the HDR-1800T standard interface and since buying the freeview box a few years ago that's now our default device.

There is a built in (menu driven) disk checker on the FV box, have run this twice and it reports error free.

If I do go to the trouble of removing the HD would the Linux FS checker be any more likely to find faults of course assuming that HD faults exist ?

Is there any of the current production Humax freeview recorders you would consider using rather than the old HDR-FOX-T2 ?

| Fri 26 Apr 2019 20:11:16 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

tiffy2 - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the further reply.
    Yes, appreciate the benefits of the custom firmware, have owned and used the Foxsat-HDR running custom FW for many years, still active, however, the wife prefers the HDR-1800T standard interface and since buying the freeview box a few years ago that's now our default device.

There is a built in (menu driven) disk checker on the FV box, have run this twice and it reports error free.

If I do go to the trouble of removing the HD would the Linux FS checker be any more likely to find faults of course assuming that HD faults exist ?
    Is there any of the current production Humax freeview recorders you would consider using rather than the old HDR-FOX-T2 ?

The built in disk checker is rudimentary to say the least. So yes the Linux capability is much more likely to work. Incidentally the HDR-FOX-T2 has a virtually identical UI as the 1800/2000T. Doubt you would notice any difference.

Maintenance mode on the HDR-FOX-T2 with CF, reverts the box to basically the same as connecting it to a Linux-PC.

If you copy the recording files, simply delete all the partitions on the original disk and let the Humax format and partition the disk from scratch when you re-install.

Once setup you can simply remove the HDD, transfer it back to the PC to reinstate the recordings and put it back in the the box.

It probably takes 10 mins or so to remove the HDD, so where is the problem.

Incidentally with my old Foxsat-HDR I used a a external esata caddy to remove the HDD and e-sata connections to mount the internal drive externally for a long time. I built a 12V relay to turn on the external caddy power supply. It worked seamlessly as if the drive was mounted internally.

Because the reservations are in NVRAM you can then use multiple recording drives and swap them at will.

| Fri 26 Apr 2019 20:41:20 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiffy2

Following Graham's guidance I removed the HD and copied all my recordings to Desktop PC's SSD running Linux Mint, used USB-3 interface so quite fast.
    Now fully tested the HD with normal Linux utilities, no errors shown.
    Deleted all media and partitions.

Re-fitted the blank HD in the recorder and re-formatted.
    Everything working normally except for the original issue which is still the same, still getting the video & sound stuttering every few seconds on live TV, certainly appears that the issue is not HD (hardware) related as such.

The current quick fix remains, pause live TV for a few seconds then resume, this completely cures the video/audio stuttering until "stop/return to live TV" is chosen !

Still re-instating my recordings unfortunately by the slow, USB drive in recorder method as my dual boot Win/Linux Mint PC won't let me log on to Mint any more (apparently a known issue)which I have not yet resolved.

So, looks like a new recorder will be on the cards shortly, thanks to all for the interest and assistance.

| Sun 28 Apr 2019 12:15:06 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

tiffy2 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Following Graham's guidance I removed the HD and copied all my recordings to Desktop PC's SSD running Linux Mint, used USB-3 interface so quite fast.
    Now fully tested the HD with normal Linux utilities, no errors shown.
    Deleted all media and partitions.
    Re-fitted the blank HD in the recorder and re-formatted.
    Everything working normally except for the original issue which is still the same, still getting the video & sound stuttering every few seconds on live TV, certainly appears that the issue is not HD (hardware) related as such.
    The current quick fix remains, pause live TV for a few seconds then resume, this completely cures the video/audio stuttering until "stop/return to live TV" is chosen !
    Still re-instating my recordings unfortunately by the slow, USB drive in recorder method as my dual boot Win/Linux Mint PC won't let me log on to Mint any more (apparently a known issue)which I have not yet resolved.
    So, looks like a new recorder will be on the cards shortly, thanks to all for the interest and assistance.

This is baffling . Is the issue the same on all channels ? So delaying live TV and replaying from the time shift buffer is fine. This is a bit for bit copy of the original broadcast so very mysterious. Try at least one channel from each multiplex from your local transmitter

Clutching at straws now.

Do you have lcn's in the 800s in your epg ?

Create a usb linux distro and boot from that. That should be independent of your PC hard drive.

https://mashtips.com/best-portable-linux-distro/

Check your PM's

| Sun 28 Apr 2019 14:21:08 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiffy2

@grahamlthompson:

Many thanks for your further response.
    Some further observations on the issue.
    Only HD channels are effected, all SD channels play normally.

Living in N.I. (border area) have access to RTE terrestrial broadcasts, their HD and SD channels all play normally (believe that RTE have maintained the DVB-T standard for their HD broadcasts as opposed to the DVB-T2 UK standard, hence the difference)

Yes, I do have 800 series program listing, that's where the RTE transmissions reside, has always been the case well before the current issue.

To get around my current Linux Mint, no access issue, I'am booting from the USB drive I used to install Mint until I can figure out a solution to the dual HD boot issue.
    I think it is related to a "running out of space" warning I received on the last HD normal run but can't really think why this should be as Linux is installed on half a 500Gb. SSD partition the other partition being used for Win 10 general data, Win 10 being installed on a separate 128Gb M.2 SSD.

The dual boot has worked very well until yesterday, may have to re-install Linux Mint.

| Sun 28 Apr 2019 16:20:42 #19 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

tiffy2 - 10 minutes ago  » 
    @grahamlthompson:
    Many thanks for your further response.
    Some further observations on the issue.
    Only HD channels are effected, all SD channels play normally.
    Living in N.I. (border area) have access to RTE terrestrial broadcasts, their HD and SD channels all play normally (believe that RTE have maintained the DVB-T standard for their HD broadcasts as opposed to the DVB-T2 UK standard, hence the difference)
    Yes, I do have 800 series program listing, that's where the RTE transmissions reside, has always been the case well before the current issue.
    To get around my current Linux Mint, no access issue, I'am booting from the USB drive I used to install Mint until I can figure out a solution to the dual HD boot issue.
    I think it is related to a "running out of space" warning I received on the last HD normal run but can't really think why this should be as Linux is installed on half a 500Gb. SSD partition the other partition being used for Win 10 general data, Win 10 being installed on a separate 128Gb M.2 SSD.
    The dual boot has worked very well until yesterday, may have to re-install Linux Mint.

How odd. Set a recording from the epg. Wait 10 mins after recording starts, and then replay the recording (chasing playback). Can you get to the end of the programme without issues ?

| Sun 28 Apr 2019 16:33:50 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.