My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR-2000T— HD Channels driving me MAD.

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Matmcr

Wallace - 11 hours ago  » 
    Or sometimes a 'wall-wart' of a plug-in power supply transformer could be failing causing RF interference to be generated, either airborne or in the mains wiring.

Thanks all things to check. It's doing it again this morning, and the weather is terrible—really windy etc. Maybe it has something to do with that. It was fine last night.

| Tue 21 Oct 2014 10:06:57 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Matmcr

Looking on the Manual search now in really bad weather...

channel 54
    Frequency 738000
    Transmission DVB-T2
    Bandwidth 8MHz
    Network Search off

... the strength and quality are both at 100%, but then keeps on flashing to 0% every 5 or 6 secs. Could this be the aerial even though it works fine with the Bravia? or could it be the actual box?

| Tue 21 Oct 2014 10:14:46 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Matmcr

grahamlthompson - 16 hours ago  » 
    There is a possibility that you have too strong a signal. Simple way to check is add a variable attenuator to the aerial input.

I've looked at the variable attenuator and I think you are right. Even though I had just plugged it into the aerial and then into the box, I now realise that there is a small red dial on the back. When I rotate this fully (not sure on the direction) the signal strength goes from 100% to 97/98% which stops the HD signal cutting out. Pretty naive of me but I'm not 100% on these things.

Thanks everyone for all the help—fingers crossed, hopefully this has solved this.

| Tue 21 Oct 2014 12:53:16 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeannie500

Hi I have had my box in this house for 2 years without any problems with HD but this last week I cant get HD bbc or ITV. I can get then fine if I tune into the TV as the source so I cant see why any problem with arial. There was a major upgrade about 4 weeks ago and the channel numbers changed. I noticed my digital radio had problems after the upgrade but is fine now.I have no idea what a variable attenuator is but did it work? I was on holiday the last 3 weeks and it only recorded for one week and nothing for the following two weeks, I expect it is all linked. All help gratefully received

| Tue 21 Oct 2014 16:21:30 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jeannie500 - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Hi I have had my box in this house for 2 years without any problems with HD but this last week I cant get HD bbc or ITV. I can get then fine if I tune into the TV as the source so I cant see why any problem with arial. There was a major upgrade about 4 weeks ago and the channel numbers changed. I noticed my digital radio had problems after the upgrade but is fine now.I have no idea what a variable attenuator is but did it work? I was on holiday the last 3 weeks and it only recorded for one week and nothing for the following two weeks, I expect it is all linked. All help gratefully received

The post above confirms it worked for Matmcr, but it was clear from his original post there was a good chance he had very high signal levels as he lived very close to a main power transmitter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VARIABLE-ATTENUATOR-TV-SIGNAL-REDUCER-20dB-3-5-6-9-10-12-15-18-DIGITAL-FREEVIEW-/370552240392?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item5646a27908

I take it you have retuned the TV following the changes.

| Tue 21 Oct 2014 16:27:53 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Matmcr

The variable attenuator has made a difference. I just didn't know how to use it originally! The signal has been fine since I turned the red ‘dial’ fully counter clockwise. I think Graham is correct regarding the high signal levels due to living close to the transmitter.

| Tue 21 Oct 2014 19:36:55 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Matmcr - 1 year ago  » 
    channel 54
    Frequency 738000
    Transmission DVB-T2
    Bandwidth 8MHz
    Network Search off
    ... the strength and quality are both at 100%, but then keeps on flashing to 0% every 5 or 6 secs. Could this be the aerial even though it works fine with the Bravia? or could it be the actual box?

ah! This is exactly what Im getting and its driving me mad

Same channel from winter hill and Ive never had problems before or with other channel groups.

Weather fine today and it just cant receive a regular signal.

It is an amplified landlord aerial system but why do other channel groups work absolutely fine?

Also if its attenuation why can it (rarely)work fine for an hour? Ive turned off routers dect phones fridges and everything that could possibly have an effect within my walls

Its driving me mad

| Sat 17 Sep 2016 12:16:08 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Minstrel SE - 1 hour ago  » 

Matmcr - 1 year ago  » 
    channel 54
    Frequency 738000
    Transmission DVB-T2
    Bandwidth 8MHz
    Network Search off

ah! This is exactly what Im getting and its driving me mad
    Same channel from winter hill and Ive never had problems before or with other channel groups.
    Weather fine today and it just cant receive a regular signal.
    It is an amplified landlord aerial system but why do other channel groups work absolutely fine?
    Also if its attenuation why can it (rarely)work fine for an hour? Ive turned off routers dect phones fridges and everything that could possibly have an effect within my walls
    Its driving me mad

Yagi type aerials don't have the same gain at all frequencies. If channel 54 is close to the peak gain of the aerial it's possible it is being over amplified. It's worth trying an attenuator as they cost very little.

| Sat 17 Sep 2016 13:58:10 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Ah latest news is Ive removed the HDMI lead and am watching through A Scart.

Great improvement with no drop outs so far so I should have listened to the first advice I was given. Recordings went well with HDMI out as well.

I cant believe that it would be radiation from the lead that Humax supplied.

So possibly the next stage would be retry the HDMI and then buy a better but cheap screened HDMI lead. I have a large braided one I bought on ebay for £4 so I will try that soon

| Sat 17 Sep 2016 18:45:05 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

But just to clarify that even with the HDMI removed it went off for minutes at a time so dont anyone think that was the answer in this case.

I have an internmittent fault and it can actually work for periods of time or not work at all

I have contacted digital UK and am following the work at Winter hill.

I will get an engineer in (possibly from Digital UK) if that can be arranged. I presume they have meters etc to plug into the socket

| Sun 18 Sep 2016 12:30:35 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.