My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR-2000T issues with recorded picture break up

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

John Forrester

After 2 years of reasonbly reliable service, my 2000T has developed a tendency to scramble the picture at various times during playback. For example a recording of a 2 hr programme from ITV3 started breaking up towards the end. My transmiiter is Emley Moor and I live in York. The breakup has also occured on some other channels and is definitely getting worse

On checking the signal strength I had Strength 49% Quality 100% which I think is normal, so why the problem?

I then checked BBC1 HD channel signal strenth which gave S=66% and Q omly 10% yet the SD BBC1 channel gave S 82% and Q 100%. What's going on here?

There were also issues with freezing whilst checking other channel signal strength, resulting in several re boots.

I was wondering whether a "factory default" might help?

| Thu 26 Oct 2017 18:06:51 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

John Forrester - 10 minutes ago  » 
    After 2 years of reasonbly reliable service, my 2000T has developed a tendency to scramble the picture at various times during playback. For example a recording of a 2 hr programme from ITV3 started breaking up towards the end. My transmiiter is Emley Moor and I live in York. The breakup has also occured on some other channels and is definitely getting worse
    On checking the signal strength I had Strength 49% Quality 100% which I think is normal, so why the problem?

First guess would be that your box is not properly tuned. My advice would be to manually tune it using the instructions at http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/transmitters#post-2336 It sounds complicated but once you have done it once or twice you realise it actually quite straightforward,

| Thu 26 Oct 2017 18:21:18 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

My problem is with the PSB3 group which includes BBC1 HD BBC2 HD Its now effectively unusable as the quality is down to 10% and it fluctuates constantly from zero to 10 to 50 to 100

The signal strength is around 50%(when there) and I still cant understand why its only on this group.

Other groups work fine and it did all work for months when on channel 54 then it failed then they moved it to channel 30. It cant really be the box as it has handled that group for several months

I think there is more going on than the aerial but Its the landlords aerial system and Im sure the other neighbours would have complained.

I know its a procees of elimination and I must try another tuner or another aerial.

One thing I do know is there is nothing more niggly than a tv signal going wrong.

And yes the freezing while checking signal strength is a known issue with the box

Best wishes to everyone on the forum

| Sat 28 Oct 2017 12:06:00 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Minstrel SE - 2 hours ago  » 
    My problem is with the PSB3 group which includes BBC1 HD BBC2 HD Its now effectively unusable as the quality is down to 10% and it fluctuates constantly from zero to 10 to 50 to 100
    The signal strength is around 50%(when there) and I still cant understand why its only on this group.
    Other groups work fine and it did all work for months when on channel 54 then it failed then they moved it to channel 30. It cant really be the box as it has handled that group for several months

That sounds to me like local interference. Is the aerial lead from the wall socket to the Humax of the screened type (preferably double screened)? Is the HDMI lead well screened and well separated from the aerial leads?

| Sat 28 Oct 2017 14:28:34 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Minstrel SE - 2 hours ago  » 
    I think there is more going on than the aerial but Its the landlords aerial system and Im sure the other neighbours would have complained.
    I know its a procees of elimination and I must try another tuner or another aerial.
    One thing I do know is there is nothing more niggly than a tv signal going wrong.
    And yes the freezing while checking signal strength is a known issue with the box
    Best wishes to everyone on the forum

It's quite common for communal systems to fit filters which block UHF channels not used by the local transmitter to avoid issues with auto tuning. It's possible that channel 30 is excluded. I would check with your neighbours.

| Sat 28 Oct 2017 14:52:56 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes its not the hdmi lead and the landlord coax is going to be the cheapest rubbish available.

It all comes from an aerial system and amplifier feeding twenty one flats so its going to be like spaghetti junction of rubbish cable and connectors.

I use top quality screened satellite 100 or R6. the landlord has probably used the cheapest reel rubbish available...why just on Channel 30 though? as other channels like BBC4 HD are lovely also in DVB T2

I will stop being a baby and ask the neighbours when I see them. Its a bit odd as we are all very private so theres not a lot of beighbour interaction going on.

I am thinking of trying one of thise globe aerials mounted outside as Im on the second(top floor)so I should get some signal here

| Sat 28 Oct 2017 16:32:18 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Minstrel SE - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Yes its not the hdmi lead and the landlord coax is going to be the cheapest rubbish available.
    It all comes from an aerial system and amplifier feeding twenty one flats so its going to be like spaghetti junction of rubbish cable and connectors.
    I use top quality screened satellite 100 or R6. the landlord has probably used the cheapest reel rubbish available...why just on Channel 30 though? as other channels like BBC4 HD are lovely also in DVB T2
    I will stop being a baby and ask the neighbours when I see them. Its a bit odd as we are all very private so theres not a lot of beighbour interaction going on.
    I am thinking of trying one of thise globe aerials mounted outside as Im on the second(top floor)so I should get some signal here

If you are on the same side of the building as the transmitter a tiny DM log aerial would be the best choice if you aren't too far from the transmitter. Might even work indoors.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/atvschoiceofaerials.html#DMlog

Enter your postcode here and choose the detailed view for an estimate as to likely field strength

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/about_the_coverage_checker

It's very unlikely the landlord has the knowledge to install a communal system. most likely installed by professionals hence why there could be notch filters in the set up.

| Sat 28 Oct 2017 16:44:38 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Minstrel SE - 1 hour ago  » 

BBC4 HD does of course come from a different multiplex so I still think something is interfering with the signal on channel 30. It could be external interference alternatively a kink in a cable or a badly made joint causing signal reflections and producing an effect rather like a notch filter. Is it possible to look behind the wallplate to check the joints there?

| Sat 28 Oct 2017 17:58:44 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

The wallplate includes a sky and fm socket.I have been behind it. Its all rather low grade and could do with a screened upgrade

I still cant get my head round why a kink, bad connection, or water in the cable would just lose channel 30 DVB T2 so specific to that frequency when a 100+ other Tv channels come through very well.

Those channels were working for months and its the group that moved from channel 54 to 30 so something is going on

Im more inclined to think its a transmission problem or an aerial issue. I think the Humax over rates the signal strength.

Until I eliminate every possibility I will not know. If it was my place I would have replaced the whole transmission line starting with the aerial

| Mon 30 Oct 2017 2:54:22 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Minstrel SE - 9 hours ago  » 
    I still cant get my head round why a kink, bad connection, or water in the cable would just lose channel 30 DVB T2 so specific to that frequency when a 100+ other Tv channels come through very well.

It can cause a notch filter effect. This link http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/kinked_cable.htm describes the problem and cites a specific frequency being wiped out as a possibility.

Those channels were working for months and its the group that moved from channel 54 to 30 so something is going on
    Im more inclined to think its a transmission problem or an aerial issue.

If it was a transmission problem I would have expected more reports; it could be an aerial problem I agree.

I think the Humax over rates the signal strength.

It is an arbitrary rating but as we get more reports of people with problems with high signal strengths than low signal strengths I would need to be convinced that it is "over rating".

Until I eliminate every possibility I will not know.

Sounds sensible.

| Mon 30 Oct 2017 12:35:14 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.