My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR-2000T stuttering every two seconds

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jilawrence

Hello all.

Since yesterday I've been getting picture and audio stuttering on my HDR-2000T, so trying to work out what it might be.

It is only affecting the PSB3/BBCB multiplex which carries the main HD channels (BBC1, BBC2 ITV1 etc). This is the only HD multiplex that we can receive as our transmitter (Hemel Hempstead) does not broadcast COM7 or COM8.

The picture and audio momentarily stops every two seconds or so, then continues. Signal strength appears to be fine, same as normal, and the stuttering does not affect any other multiplexes, just the HD one.

Strangely, when playing back a recording made from one of the affected channels, it plays perfectly without any stuttering. The stuttering also disappears when pausing live TV then restarting so that playback is no longer live.

Any ideas anyone please?

Many thanks,
    James.

| Fri 13 Sep 2019 8:55:58 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

On a channel that is stuttering, pause live TV for a few seconds and then resume playing. If it continues without further interruption, I think it must be a transmission issue. I get a similar problem occasionally on both my 2000t and 4000t (at the same time) but have never managed to find the reason.

just reread your post and you have already discovered this

| Fri 13 Sep 2019 9:44:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jilawrence

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Initially I assumed it was some sort of interference, but ruled this out once I realised recorded programs play correctly. Then I thought perhaps the hard drive, but surely that would not be multiplex specific.

The BBC reception website has no mention of a fault, but Hemel transmitter doesn't have a particularly large audience. Presumably faults don't get picked up as quickly and with as much urgency!

Cheers,
    James.

| Fri 13 Sep 2019 10:33:09 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jilawrence

Update...

Returned home yesterday from a weekend away, and the problem has now disappeared.

| Mon 16 Sep 2019 16:45:13 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

My best guess is that the video stream and the audio stream are two separate broadcasts that are then married together by the Humax. If their individual timestamps (or some other method of synchronization) are incorrect or outside of expected parameters of the Humax, perhaps it then struggles to put them together "on the fly" (perhaps insufficient processing power) but the pause gives the Humax time to catch up?
    Graham is probably the best person to say whether this may be a plausible explanation?

| Tue 17 Sep 2019 10:31:37 #5 |
  6. Trev

Trev

special member

My best guess is that had OP switched it off then back on again, it would have fixed his problem there and then.

| Tue 17 Sep 2019 14:41:53 #6 |
  7. Trev

Trev

special member

SSThing - 4 days ago  » 
    On a channel that is stuttering, pause live TV for a few seconds and then resume playing. If it continues without further interruption, I think it must be a transmission issue.

How can it be a transmission issue if the recording of the stuttering content does not exhibit the same fault? The transmission was obviously OK.

| Tue 17 Sep 2019 14:44:08 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jilawrence

Trev - 7 hours ago  » 
    My best guess is that had OP switched it off then back on again, it would have fixed his problem there and then.

Unfortunately not. That was one of the first things I did. Tried a reboot, completely cutting the power, and even a clean reinstall.

| Tue 17 Sep 2019 22:08:29 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Trev - 16 hours ago  » 

SSThing - 4 days ago  » 
    On a channel that is stuttering, pause live TV for a few seconds and then resume playing. If it continues without further interruption, I think it must be a transmission issue.

How can it be a transmission issue if the recording of the stuttering content does not exhibit the same fault? The transmission was obviously OK.

As I reported about 6 months ago, I had the same issue with both a 4000t and a 2000t. Both could be cured by pausing, both played back recorded content fine and both are currently working perfectly. So the only thing they both shared was the transmission. Furthermore, it was only on certain channels, not all of them.

| Wed 18 Sep 2019 7:31:33 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.