My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

HDR-Fox T2 - AV receiver connection problems

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

edrch

Hello all...

I recently bought a Humax HDR-Fox T2 and as a new user have a query about it. Can anyone please advise me whether the recorder can be attached to my Onkyo AV receiver? Currently I have all my equipment successfully running through it via HDMI connections, including a Sony DVD recorder, Sony Blu-ray player and an Xbox 360. However, if I try and connect the Fox T2 to the amp via HDMI, it isn't recognised - no picture or sound appears on the TV through the amplifier. I have checked the Onkyo and all my other AV hardware works in all HDMI ports.

I know the Humax recorder is working as it should because I am able to use it by connecting it straight to my TV, but I am obviously not getting the benefit of the amp at all in this way, especially when watching films on TV which are more effective with my surround system.

I have consulted the manual for the Humax and it doesn't mention amplifier connections at all. It does suggest a S/PDIF connection that I could link to a hi-fi unit (my Onkyo also has such a connection), but surely that would only pass through a sound signal.

Can anyone help at all, please?

Thanks!

Ed
    edrch

| Tue 30 Jul 2013 23:04:41 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Ed,

it's another HDMI/HDCP issue that Humax have invented for themselves. You're either lucky or unlucky, none of my other equipment here has these problems only the Humax.

First thing to try is the v-format button on the remote to try and get it to re-sync, toggle this a few times, waiting a few seconds between pushes. If this works and you get bored of using the v-format everytime then sometimes it helps to factory reset the box and choose a better resolution at the initial install setup screen. You will lose your schedule and preferences, although recordings are safe. Sometimes this has no effect.

I'd be surprised if the Onkyo didn't have an s/pdif optical input somewhere tucked away. This is what I use and it's more robust than the hdmi anyway.

Other people have had success with a cheap auto 3->1 hdmi switch; however this is trial and error.

To recap, and if it were me...
    v-format button
    if no help then double check for an s/pdif optical input on the Onkyo
    if no help then it's trial and error with an auto hdmi switch

There maybe a software/firmware update for the Onkyo, you don't mention which model it is.
    Let us know how you get on.

| Tue 30 Jul 2013 23:48:18 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

My HDR-FOX-T2 shares a HDMI input port on my Denon AV amp using a 5 input hdmi auto switch with a Sony Blu-ray player, and a Media Player. The other ports are used to connect other kit like my HD camcorder. The amp is connected by a single 10m hdmi cable to a 40" Sony TV. There are no handshaking issues.

| Wed 31 Jul 2013 9:38:28 #3 |
  4. ezra pound

ezra pound

special member

edrch - 1 day ago  » 
    It does suggest a S/PDIF connection that I could link to a hi-fi unit (my Onkyo also has such a connection), but surely that would only pass through a sound signal.
    edrch

You are correct in saying that SP-DIF (both optical and electrical) only carrys audio NOT video. Although HDMI carries the same audio together with Video in DD 5.1 from the Humax some TVs only pass through stereo on their HDMI outputs, so a direct link from Humax to amp would be required if going via such a TV

| Thu 1 Aug 2013 17:59:27 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

edrch

Well, after a short delay I managed to get the Humax working through the amp - kind of. On the amp I have to use a combination of the direct HDMI CBL/SAT connection to the Humax and the TV/CD link using a SP-DIF cable from the T2 to the amp (which is an Onkyo HT-R390, by the way). A lot of tinkering and button pressing is required to get the sound through and the volume varies greatly depending on whether the signal is HD or not, frustratingly.

Equally irritating is the inability of the Humax to 'sense' full widescreen films (2.35:1) when viewing them via USB. I have to navigate to Settings > Preferences > Video > Screen Ratio > Letterbox 16:9 (and have the screen ratio set to 4:3) and even then, certain films still aren't correctly displayed.

All in all, I'm rather disappointed. Such a shame that simple and fundamental issues have seemingly been overlooked. Please, someone tell me I'm mistaken!

| Sun 25 Aug 2013 20:54:27 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

sprocker

I have a similar problem with my HDR Fox T2 and Onkyo receiver.

All connected via HDMI, it seems to take around 10 minutes after turning everythig on before the sound & picture appear.

I've tried all settings that I can think of but non have cured this problem. Very dissapointed in Humax as thiers is the only box I have problems with.

| Wed 25 Sep 2013 14:55:29 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Sprocker,

you don't mention model of tv or Onkyo, somebody out there may have the same combination and got it to work.

If you've tried the v-format button, checked latest firmware updates Onkyo/TV/Humax, possibly tried a 3->1 hdmi auto switch, swapped hdmi cables around, factory reset the Humax (keeping a record of the schedule) and choosing 720p resolution on initial install, don't want to use sp/dif and re-assign optical input to Humax hdmi on Onkyo as Edrch has done...

then it's back to the manuals and switching off RIHD/CEC ARC on the onkyo, switching off CEC/Regza/RIHD etc. etc. and ARC as necessary on the TV, powering every down and trying different power up sequences,ie.. tv before onkyo or onkyo before tv.

If it were me, I'd check firmwares, check cables, switch off CEC/RIHD and ARC all round, change/check power up sequences, factory reset to 720p on initial install - you won't lose recordings only schedule and preferences and if none of that worked try a 3->1 hdmi switch if possible, if not run a sp/dif to the onkyo and re-assign the input.

If none of the above works and your TV is ARC capable then you could try connecting the Humax to one of the TV's spare hdmi sockets and using ARC to return the audio to the Onkyo, that's if your TV supports this.

Let us know how you get on, there will be a solution/workaround somewhere, good luck.

| Wed 25 Sep 2013 17:10:44 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

sprocker

Many thanks for your advice Damian, I will give your ideas a try.

The Onkyo is a TX-SR606, and the TV is a Sony Bravia KDL32W653 Smart.

| Fri 27 Sep 2013 9:25:29 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.