My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR1000s not formating drive

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

hpm

Hello
    Having a bit of an issue with our HDR 1000s box, I know it is at least 10 years old but hoping it is fixable.
    This morning all our recordings had disappeared although it showed 51% memory used which isn't a big deal but can't get it to record anything new either.

Tried the recommended turn off, unplug and leave for a bit not fixed.
    Then tried leaving it on recording screen for a few hours but no change.
    Then tried resetting box to factory settings and that didn't help but then HDD went down to 1% used memory and although it started showing the recordings you could open them but they wouldn't play and came up with unvalid format.

When I tried to format it didn't show a drive connected.
    I removed the drive to try formatting it in a docking station but it is not seeing a drive when plugged in so assumed it was the drive.
    I have stuck a WD green 2tb in it instead but it says it isn't correctly formatted but won't format it.

I took it back out and reformated it checking it was NTFS but it still doesn't like it, think the drive is ok just not sure why humax box doesn't like it.
    Now it is seeing the HDD but isn't coming up with the format or clean up options.
    Any ideas as reading posts most people seem to just put a new drive in and it works straight offto format it.

Only thing different is this drive isn't new but hoped reformating would take it back to base but I'm not super tech savvy so not sure if there is something else I need to do?
    Thanks for any advice

| Sun 24 Jan 2021 17:21:16 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

hpm - 4 mins ago  » 
    Hello
    Having a bit of an issue with our HDR 1000s box, I know it is at least 10 years old but hoping it is fixable.
    This morning all our recordings had disappeared although it showed 51% memory used which isn't a big deal but can't get it to record anything new either.
    Tried the recommended turn off, unplug and leave for a bit not fixed.
    Then tried leaving it on recording screen for a few hours but no change.

Then tried resetting box to factory settings and that didn't help but then HDD went down to 1% used memory and although it started showing the recordings you could open them but they wouldn't play and came up with unvalid format.
    When I tried to format it didn't show a drive connected.
    I removed the drive to try formatting it in a docking station but it is not seeing a drive when plugged in so assumed it was the drive.
    I have stuck a WD green 2tb in it instead but it says it isn't correctly formatted but won't format it.
    I took it back out and reformated it checking it was NTFS but it still doesn't like it, think the drive is ok just not sure why humax box doesn't like it.
    Now it is seeing the HDD but isn't coming up with the format or clean up options.
    Any ideas as reading posts most people seem to just put a new drive in and it works straight offto format it.
    Only thing different is this drive isn't new but hoped reformating would take it back to base but I'm not super tech savvy so not sure if there is something else I need to do?
    Thanks for any advice

If you connect the drive to a Windows 10 computer. Type drive management into the search window bottom left can you see the WD drive in the list of drives connected. If not sure disconnect and it vanishes that's it. If there are more than 1 partitions remove them all. Then try the HDD in the pvr.

| Sun 24 Jan 2021 17:29:40 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

hpm

Thanks Graham.
    Looks like it only has one partition
    Any other ideas?

| Sun 24 Jan 2021 18:04:51 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

hpm

Here is what computer shows for drive

Attachments

1. 20210124_170513_compress9.jpg (84.1 KB, 2 downloads) 3 years old
    | Sun 24 Jan 2021 18:12:14 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

hpm - 14 mins ago  » 
    Here is what computer shows for drive

Delete the partition so the drive is the same as a new drive. Then try it in the box. It should say unallocated from memory.

The box needs to set up multiple Linux partitions and format them EXT 3 linux format.

| Sun 24 Jan 2021 18:29:25 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

hpm

Thank you Graham you are a star

That has sorted it changing it to unallocated

| Sun 24 Jan 2021 19:33:20 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

hpm

Pants, may have spoken too soon.

All looked good and it came up that it had recorded something last night with it showing in my recordings but went to watch it today and nothing in the my recordings again.

Had it set to record something at 2pm today and that doesn't seem to have recorded at all.

When all looked good yesterday I ordered a new drive to go in it as the one I was testing it with I don't think is meant to run 24/7 so got a WD 2TD purple HDD.
    That arrived a few hours ago so thought I would try that instead, checked it was new and unallocated before fitting it but it has now been formatting it for 1.5hrs which seems rather a long time as same siz eas one I fitted yesterday and thought that only took about 30 minutes so I am a bit worried it is stuck but don't want to stop it as I don't know enough to know if this would mess the drive up as there seems to be no cancel option.
    Help please

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 18:03:10 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

hpm - 2 hours ago  » 
    but it has now been formatting it for 1.5hrs which seems rather a long time as same siz eas one I fitted yesterday and thought that only took about 30 minutes so I am a bit worried it is stuck but don't want to stop it as I don't know enough to know if this would mess the drive up as there seems to be no cancel option.

I think you can just turn the power off and try again.

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 20:18:15 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

hpm

Ok, removed power and tried again but then it just said "sorry it wasn't formatted yet and to format it" everytime you selected that option.

Removed HDD again, set back to unallocated with pc (when in pc it shows it as having been split into three partitions before deleting volume), refitted and set it to try again and left it. Came back 4 hours later to check to find the box had gone off so hoped it had worked but no same message. Tried turning it off and leaving without power for 10 minutes but no change on startup.

The tried resetting to factory default in settings to see if that helped but then it just stopped seeing the drive at all????

Power off again and now it is seeing drive but says it has 0 volume?

And as an extra pain now the sound keeps cutting out/in for a second which is really irritating, had it before and it was because both sound settings weren't set to stereo on humax and dolby was on on TV but set these right and it is still doing it

| Tue 26 Jan 2021 15:12:17 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.