My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR1100S intermittant problem

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

g4jnw

I am having an odd problem in live and recorded programs, isn't any particular program or channel, but occasionally the picture jumps as if it stops momentarily and restarts, most of the time its ok and i cannot predict it.
    I have contacted Humax and they have advised we have reset the system but are having the same issue, i have checked the firmware and its the latest UKSFAA 3.00.96 i have also noticed that after the last update 13th Aug 2018 that the menu is slow and when pushing the home button its VERY slow, The storage is quite low as i checked that first. only 6% used, any ideas please.

| Fri 3 May 2019 9:55:35 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

My first thought is a physical disk problem, possibly confined to a few disk sectors. Disk activity generates non maskable interrupts (NMI's), typically sector read faults would be retried up to 15 times for example, that could result in the problem you describe.

It could also be a signal glitch, what sort of signal quality does the system settings show? Is there any connection to time of day or time interval?

If you have a recording with a glitch does it consistently have the glitch in exactly the same place?

I suggest that as I test you retain the programmes with glitches to see if new recordings cease to have the problem. Live programmes record to the timeslip buffer, which on previous models was in a fixed file on the disk and I presume the same on your model.

| Fri 3 May 2019 10:42:44 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

g4jnw

will check where they are on our next recording (we normally watch and delete, hence the low disc use) if the glitch is the same place i guess it could be the hard drive. The signal looking at the settings is all marked Good.
    Interesting that timeslip uses the same fixed file, maybe if that gets corrupted it causes an issue.
    I have supplied Humax with the serial number as im not sure if its in warantee or not.
    If not i'll have to open it and see what type of hard drive it is, may be replace it with a SSD type if thats possible.
    Ive swapped out drives in other devices and computers before.

| Fri 3 May 2019 10:54:00 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The drive is usually a Seagate pipeline. A CE/AV/Surveillance type.
    SSD drives are not designed for constant writes and re-writes. You would also not see any speed increase.

| Fri 3 May 2019 12:13:42 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

REPASSAC - 6 minutes ago  » 
    SSD drives are not designed for constant writes and re-writes.

A good quality modern SSD drive should easily manage at least five years. The lack of TRIM support would reduce performance.

You would also not see any speed increase.

I agree; the only potential advantage is absence of hard drive noise.

| Fri 3 May 2019 12:23:59 #5 |
  6. Trev

Trev

special member

And an lighter wallet. ;=)

| Fri 3 May 2019 15:03:53 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

g4jnw

if it turns out to be the hard drive i'll go for the cheaper option, looks like i can get a 2gb drive for around £50 or so

| Fri 3 May 2019 15:05:39 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

g4jnw - 1 hour ago  » 
    if it turns out to be the hard drive i'll go for the cheaper option, looks like i can get a 2gb drive for around £50 or so

You won't get many recordings on a 2GB drive

Suggest you go for 2TB

| Fri 3 May 2019 16:32:29 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

g4jnw

haha yes typo

| Fri 3 May 2019 19:23:39 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

navi

I don't wish to alarm you but mine started to do similar weird things and it was dead soon after. I wasn't the hard drive at fault either so you could be left with two hard drives and no PVR.

| Fri 3 May 2019 23:52:36 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.