My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Heat and noise issue with HDR-1100s PVR

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dean77

Hi all,

I recently purchased a freesat PRV HDR-1100s and have noticed after a few hours of use the box tends to get slightly hot on the top front right side, but it feels cool to the touch everywhere else. The unit is well ventilated and has space for air to flow around it. Is this amount of heat normal for the 1100s? I concerned here that the fan (which I can hear running quietly inside the box) is not performing at its best perhaps.

I can also hear a very dull intermittent "scratching" type sound coming from inside the box too, this is heard (when the TV sound is muted) during recordings, it's as though the hard-drive head is writing data to the disk. Is this sound normal for the hard-drive, shouldn't it be completely silent? My old Humax PVR 9150t had hardly no sound, only a faint hum from the fan itself was heard.

I'm concerned if this is normal for the 1100s, or perhaps this is a sign of trouble brewing in the unit itself.

Looking forward to some peace of mind on this, so feedback would be most welcome here.

| Thu 12 May 2016 12:42:59 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

All the time the box is on the hard drive is being written to to maintain the time shift buffer. Suspect this is normal, you can hear my HDR1000S when it's very quiet and you get very close to the box.

Noise can be amplified by resonance in the shelf the box is mounted on. You might want to try decoupling the box by using something between the feet and the shelf.

eg

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Round-Adhesive-Isolation-Equipment/dp/B00856PCC2&tag=blusas008-21

| Thu 12 May 2016 14:09:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Danbo

Dean77 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I can also hear a very dull intermittent "scratching" type sound coming from inside the box too, this is heard (when the TV sound is muted) during recordings, it's as though the hard-drive head is writing data to the disk. Is this sound normal for the hard-drive, shouldn't it be completely silent? My old Humax PVR 9150t had hardly no sound, only a faint hum from the fan itself was heard.
    I'm concerned if this is normal for the 1100s, or perhaps this is a sign of trouble brewing in the unit itself.
    Looking forward to some peace of mind on this, so feedback would be most welcome here.

Funny you mention this sound when recording. I noticed in a quiet room, mine was doing the exact same thing. Didn't sound too good. Doesn't make the same sound when recording the buffer and the TV muted. It's possible it's always made that sound and I've never noticed (not sat there in dead quiet room when a recording was taking place I guess..)

| Thu 12 May 2016 14:14:18 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

My 1000s has always done it but like you and graham I can only hear this when the room is quiet - graham has provided the explanation. My 2000T is louder still and always has been. I don't worry about the drive in either machine. As far as I'm concerned it's just normal HDD operating noise.

| Thu 12 May 2016 23:10:37 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dean77

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm not overly worried so much about the disk drive sound as I don't hear this at all when watching the TV with the sound on. I'd say I'm more concerned about the "hotness" of my new PVR; compared to my old PVR unit, as the old one was quite cool to the touch. Maybe the 1100s just generate more heat because of its smaller size, compared to the larger box sizes of the older series and the newer 1000 series.

Anyone else had this 'hotness' issue with an 1100s?

| Fri 13 May 2016 13:31:03 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

Both of my 1100s boxes are hot on the top so I presume this is the norm.

| Fri 20 May 2016 19:53:11 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tpost

"Note Barry comment re overheating.I thought mine was running very warm so put a thermometer on it and recorded 36C. Does that sound about right and as should be expected?",

This was my comment posted last year as I too was worried about how warm the unit was running. However after about 10 months of use it is still Ok. So looks like this is the norm, hope so anyway!

| Sat 21 May 2016 13:04:35 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dean77

I just hope this 'hotness' is nothing to be overly worried about and like you guys here then; presume this is normal for the device.

| Sun 22 May 2016 12:42:27 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.