My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Help for Newbie - DNLA, password and manual

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Cyclops91

Hello everyone. I am a complete newbie when it comes to PVR's of this type, my only previous experience has been a Sky+ box which has been completely straightforward and trouble-free for three years. I had decided to ditch it as we were not getting value for our subscription and a new PVR would offer the ability to watch Freetime. Imagine my delight when I saw that Comet were selling the HDR1000S for £195! (the only thing with a decent discount)

That was 10 days ago.... Progress has been slow as we have a lot of Sky recordings to watch before I can switch permanently, and in the meantime I have been looking round this forum with increasing despair as I see:
    a) the issues people have had
    b) the amount of specific technical knowledge that seems to be required to do anything other than basic recording.
    I thought I was reasonably knowledgeable on PCs but know nothing about DNLA or streaming, or MUX's for that matter.

Am I right in thinking there is no user manual available for the HDR1000S? I emailed Humax about this 10 days ago and they have not even acknowledged my enquiry. Is this a typical response from them?

- I have briefly tried the box out but not tried a scheduled recording.
    - I have managed to connect to my network over wifi, but the connection has now failed and I can't seem to restore it.
    I would be very grateful if anyone could help with my immediate questions:
    1) what are the restrictions on the wifi password format that the HDR1000S can accept. My original password was 16 characters long including some spaces and this did not seem to be acceptable. A shorter one did work (10 characters and no spaces) but does not now.
    2) where can I learn what I need to know to be able to access video and jpg files stored on my PC (when I manage to restore the network connection) Before the wifi connection failed I could see my PC (by name) from the HDR, but when I browsed to the "Shared Files" from the HDR there was nothing in the folder. Where on my PC should the "Shared Files" be stored?

Thanks for your patience!

| Tue 20 Nov 2012 15:54:15 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Cyclops91, Welcome
    1. I do not have experience of the wifi dongle but I do believe the HDR-1000S does not know it is using the dongle and simply thinks it has a network connection with a dynamic ip address. Other readers please correct me if this is not so.

Any wifi restrictions are imposed by your router and the security option chosen on it (the length of password varies by security method.

2. If you are a Windows user with Windows Media player - this will serve DLNA content. You will need to set up the folders so they are part of it's structue.

Hope this is of some help.

| Tue 20 Nov 2012 16:45:35 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

souporjuice

Hi, re the issues people have had, I'm really happy with mine, I've not had any problems and am very glad to have ditched Sky. There are a few niggly usability things with the TV guide, but it's nothing serious, and they are still working on the software.

Re wifi, I'm using an Edimax dongle that I got for about £11 (EW-7711UAN). Not sure about acceptable passwords, but you might find connection issues caused by having a hidden SSID (you have to broadcast your SSID, I'm afraid), and you may have connection issues if you're not using WPA2 encryption (see: http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/wireless-fails/page/2).

| Wed 21 Nov 2012 12:30:03 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Cyclops91

Thanks to both of you for your comments. Still not got the box in use, but hope to switch over this weekend. I've got the wi-fi working again, but not had chance to try watching something on Freetime to see if it is stable or fast enough to watch a whole program without falling over.
    I've also downloaded serviio media server and got that running but made the mistake of making my main photo directory the library for photos - took over 6 hours to catalogue the 45,000 pictures on there! I'll leave it powered up and see if it downloads the revised firmware next.

| Sat 24 Nov 2012 0:21:06 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.