My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Help! How to transfer files from 5000T to laptop

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ex-toppy

I have had many years of faithful service with my Topfield 5800 PVR, but it was getting progressively more problematic, so I bought a Humax 5000T last month. I use to use a program called Antares run on my laptop to transfer radio recordings from the PVR via a usb cable (to listen to in the car). This was very easy and straight forward.

Essentially, my question is how is this done with the Humax 5000T?

Downloading to USB works, but it is painstakingly slow and you cannot see how far it has got.
    I have tried connecting my laptop to the 5000T with an ethernet cable, and also connecting the 5000T to the router (ethernet cable), but either way all I get is a Humax icon displayed that only allows me to view properties. It is the same with allowing network connections on the laptop.
    Connecting the 5000T and laptop with a USB cable gives nothing.

What is the easiest/best way to connect and transfer recordings?
    Is there a way to see the Humax drive in Windows Explorer directly?
    Is there software (equivalent to Antares) to do the job?

It is driving me nuts trying to get it to work and spoiling the enjoyment of my new PVR.

Any help would be most appreciated.

| Wed 17 Mar 2021 18:02:03 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/file-transfer

If windows 10 you will have to enable Samba

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037477/

| Wed 17 Mar 2021 18:33:35 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 12 mins ago  » 

I am sorry but that answer is just wrong. You do NOT want to use Samba because that will transfer encrypted recordings that will only be playable on the Humax that made the recording. The fastest way to transfer unecrypted SD recordings is to use the DLNA server; you can't get HD recordings off the Humax unencrypted.

In Advance settings>Server management turn on the "Network server" (this is actually the DLNA server) and set a time period each day where you want the server to be available.

The instructions for what to do next will depend on whether the PC is running Windows PC or a Mac.

| Wed 17 Mar 2021 18:54:55 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 5 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 12 mins ago  » 

I am sorry but that answer is just wrong. You do NOT want to use Samba because that will transfer encrypted recordings that will only be playable on the Humax that made the recording. The fastest way to transfer unecrypted SD recordings is to use the DLNA server; you can't get HD recordings off the Humax unencrypted.
    In Advance settings>Server management turn on the "Network server" (this is actually the DLNA server) and set a time period each day where you want the server to be available.
    The instructions for what to do next will depend on whether the PC is running Windows PC or a Mac.

The OP wants to transfer Radio recordings Not Video. These appear as .mpg files and what would be the point of encrypting audio content ?

Not sure if the files are mpeg 1 layer 2 or mpeg1 layer 3.

| Wed 17 Mar 2021 19:02:04 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 17 mins ago  » 
    The OP wants to transfer Radio recordings Not Video. These appear as .mpg files and what would be the point of encrypting audio content ?

The method I described works perfectly well with radio recordings as well as TV recordings and is much easier than messing around with getting Samba 1 working.

| Wed 17 Mar 2021 19:21:22 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 35 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 17 mins ago  » 

The method I described works perfectly well with radio recordings as well as TV recordings and is much easier than messing around with getting Samba 1 working.

So what was wrong about my post then. Rude or What

Basically a link to a faq on this forum . Is that wrong then ?

If you had said this is is a better way to do it that would have been fine . It's pretty clear you had not even read the OP's post.

| Wed 17 Mar 2021 19:59:06 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

ex-toppy

I should have said it is Windows 10 on the laptop.

I have enabled Samba and have been able to now see the folders using the IP addreess for Humax (192.168.0.24) in win explorer, [Download/ Music/ Photo/ Recordings/ Video], but it won't give me access to open any of the folders. Is there anything else I can try on this method?

I have done the first part of the DNLA server, please could you tell me the subsequent steps for Windows 10.

I will try both methods and report back. Thank you.

| Thu 18 Mar 2021 0:03:58 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ex-toppy - 16 mins ago  » 
    I have done the first part of the DNLA server, please could you tell me the subsequent steps for Windows 10.
    I will try both methods and report back.

On a Windows 10 computer, start Windows Explorer, select This PC, scroll down to Network (NB don't click on Network) and you should see HUMAX FVP DMS xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx which is the DMS server, right click on it and select Open.

| Thu 18 Mar 2021 0:21:29 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Another way of moving the recordings would be to plug a USB memory stick into the Humax; then go to the list of the recordings press the "+" key and select Copy or Move. For TV programmes this is a lot slower than the DLNA method I described above but might not be so painful for a radio recording.

| Thu 18 Mar 2021 16:11:07 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 48 mins ago  » 
    Another way of moving the recordings would be to plug a USB memory stick into the Humax; then go to the list of the recordings press the "+" key and select Copy or Move. For TV programmes this is a lot slower than the DLNA method I described above but might not be so painful for a radio recording.

OP said usb worked but was very slow.

| Thu 18 Mar 2021 17:00:16 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.