My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Help running humaxrw on 9300T please

(32 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Emma

I want to run humaxrw in recovery mode to remove my recorded programs, format my 9300T and then replace the programs. Martin Liddle has suggested that the author of this may be able to help me overcome errors that have been experienced by other users when replacing the files.

Please get in touch.

| Sat 28 Jul 2012 16:23:41 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Emma - 1 hour ago  » 
    I want to run humaxrw in recovery mode to remove my recorded programs, format my 9300T and then replace the programs. Martin Liddle has suggested that the author of this may be able to help me overcome errors that have been experienced by other users when replacing the files.

I have alerted xyz321 the author of humaxrw. Lets go one step at a time. Firstly you will need to download humaxrw. Then you will need a USB to SATA converter such as Link to eBay seller.

Turn the power off to the Humax and disconnect the plug from the mains. Don't be tempted to run the Humax with the lid off. If you do it is very easy to touch the power supply and destroy it.

Remove the lid(five obvious screws if it is like the 9200). Disconnect the connections from the hard drive. Attach the data and power cables from the USB adapter.

Create a directory for humaxrw on the drive of your PC that has the most spare space and preferably at the outer level eg c:\humaxrwdir

Start a command prompt Start>Accessories>Command prompt (if you are running Vista or Windows 7 rather than left clicking on command prompt, right click and select Run as administrator)

At the command prompt type

cd humaxrwdir

then type

humaxrw 1: -r -l

with luck this will produce a list of the missing files. If not try

humaxrw 2: -r -l

and so on until you get a list of files. Not how many files are found.

Once you have a list of files type

humaxrw 1: -r -g 1-95

(substitute the number that gave you a listing for the 1: in the line above and the number of files for 95).

This will run for several hours whilst the programs are copied to your PC.

Then disconnect the USB to SATA adapter, reconnect the hard drive. Turn on the Humax and format the disk from the HDD Control menu.

Check that you can now make a recording and then come back for advice on what to do next.

| Sat 28 Jul 2012 17:58:19 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

xyz321

I think it would be useful if you could send me some diagnostic data with the disk in its corrupted state and also later after the disk has been formatted. I will post some instructions if you are willing to do this.

| Sun 29 Jul 2012 13:19:12 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Emma

Sorry for the delay, I have just got my SATA converter in the post. I'm happy to provide diagnostic data provided that I have instructions and I won't be able to damage the unit at all. I've not really done anything like this before!

| Mon 20 Aug 2012 19:50:41 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

xyz321

If you follow Martin's procedure above, the diagnostic can be run at any time before formatting the disk but I will suggest running it after starting a command prompt window. The diagnostic utility (humaxdiag) can be downloaded from here.
    It will create a series of files on your computer so it is best to run it in an empty directory (and preferably separate from any files created by humaxrw).

Make a new directory say c:\humaxdiag at the command prompt using:

md \humaxdiag

change directory into it:

cd \humaxdiag

To run the diagnostic:

humaxdiag 1:

You may need to try a different disk using 1: or 2: or 3: etc.

If it has run successfully there should be a set of .dat files and possibly some .epg files in the \humaxdiag folder. Please email them to me (preferably zipped up).

Now type 'cd \humaxrw' and follow the rest of Martin's procedure.

After reformatting the drive it may be useful if you make two short recordings (say 2 minutes each) then remove the disk and run humaxdiag again.

| Mon 20 Aug 2012 22:11:24 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Emma

Ok, almost ready to go but a few final queries first:
    May sound silly but Martin mentions not running the machine with the lid off so do I need to replace it after attaching the USB adapter and before starting the next step?
    I’m not really familiar with using the command prompt. After I have typed something in e.g. cd humaxrwdir do I need to press anything (e.g. enter) before typing the next entry?
    It looks as though 290GB of my memory has been used on the humax and I only have 118GB free in my C drive. Am I able to connect my external hard drive and then run the whole thing onto/from this?
    From what you are saying am I right to take it that it is best to run the diagnostic tool first and then follow Martins instructions?
    Thank you for your patience!!

| Tue 21 Aug 2012 18:19:55 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Emma - 1 hour ago  » 
    May sound silly but Martin mentions not running the machine with the lid off so do I need to replace it after attaching the USB adapter and before starting the next step?

Assuming you have bought an adapter with its own power supply then there is no need to apply power to the Humax with the lid off.

I’m not really familiar with using the command prompt. After I have typed something in e.g. cd humaxrwdir do I need to press anything (e.g. enter) before typing the next entry?

Yes press enter after entering each command.

It looks as though 290GB of my memory has been used on the humax and I only have 118GB free in my C drive. Am I able to connect my external hard drive and then run the whole thing onto/from this?

Yes.

From what you are saying am I right to take it that it is best to run the diagnostic tool first and then follow Martins instructions?

Yes.

| Tue 21 Aug 2012 20:18:35 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Emma

Thanks Martin.

Still a bit confused about the power/lid situation. If I remove the lid, detach the connections then attach the data and power cables from the USB adaptor, as you detailed, and then continue with the process is this not running it with the lid off? Apologies if I'm really getting the wrong end of the stick.

I haven't looked at the unit yet but am hoping it's pretty self explanatory as to how these cables join up. I bought the adaptor that you recommended.

| Tue 21 Aug 2012 20:36:30 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Emma - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Still a bit confused about the power/lid situation. If I remove the lid, detach the connections then attach the data and power cables from the USB adaptor, as you detailed, and then continue with the process is this not running it with the lid off?

You are not applying power to the Humax only to the hard drive so there is no risk of damaging the Humax power supply.

| Tue 21 Aug 2012 20:45:21 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Emma

Brilliant! Thanks very much.

I'll follow all of the instructions provided and post with my progress.

Really appreciate the help!

| Tue 21 Aug 2012 20:49:34 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.