My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

How is this possible?

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

robertjjarvisuk

I have the new HDR-1000S with only one satellite cable.

Last night, I set up a recording for the film Valkyrie on Channel 5 from 22.00 to 00.25.

While waiting for the film to start, I watched another film, Brassed Off, on Film4 from 21.00.

At around 22.15, I realised I was still watching the same film while the recording of the other should have commenced. I did nothing. I continued to watch Film4 until the film finished at 23.10.

This morning I checked to see what, if anything, had been recorded. I was amazed to see Valkyrie was there. It was recorded as two items due to the Channel 5 news interrupting but it was there.

So, how is it possible to watch one channel while recording another with only one satellite cable?

| Fri 16 Nov 2012 19:21:55 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

rodlaw

It's possible both channels share the same transponder TP in much the same way with free view you can get all the High Definition channels currently sharing the same mux.

| Fri 16 Nov 2012 19:47:36 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

robertjjarvisuk

A trans-TP what and a what-mux ?

| Fri 16 Nov 2012 22:16:46 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

robertjjarvisuk - 1 hour ago  » 
    A trans-TP what and a what-mux ?

Digital TV uses a single frequency to transmit lots of channels in a process known as multiplexing. The single frequency is in satelitte terms known as a transponder (MUX on Freeview).

Humax tuners can demultiplex (extract) two channels from the same transponder at the same time. Hence you can actually record/view two at the same time. Try recording BBC-HD and BBC1-HD at the same time

You can though do far better than this by fitting a splitter to give a seperate feed to tuner 2.

See

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

A HDR-1000s with a splitter can do the same as a Foxsat-hdr using one cable.

| Sat 17 Nov 2012 0:04:58 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

gjw

Graham,

Have done some testing and it would appear on the HDR-1000S that the single feed is applied to both tuners internally so does not need a splitter.

I am using a single feed connected to LNB 1 and managed to do the following at the same time:-

1. Record 108 BBC1 HD 10847 LBV
    2. Record 126 CH4 HD 11126 LBV
    3. Watch 109 BBC HD 10847 LBV or 127 4Seven 11126 LBV (or use the P^ key). If you try to watch any other channel you get the message "Cannot change the channel while recording" as you would expect. However the Guide does not "grey-out" unavailable channels like the Foxsat-hdr.

The Signal Information shows both tuners in use.

| Tue 27 Nov 2012 20:40:32 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gjw - 1 hour ago  » 
    Graham,
    Have done some testing and it would appear on the HDR-1000S that the single feed is applied to both tuners internally so does not need a splitter.
    I am using a single feed connected to LNB 1 and managed to do the following at the same time:-
    3. Watch 109 BBC HD 10847 LBV or 127 4Seven 11126 LBV (or use the P^ key). If you try to watch any other channel you get the message "Cannot change the channel while recording" as you would expect. However the Guide does not "grey-out" unavailable channels like the Foxsat-hdr.

That's interesting. Note the epg doesn't grey out the channels on the Foxsat-hdr it's the list command that does this (missing from the hdr-1000s).

Running some tests for a few days. After this I will give this a check.

| Tue 27 Nov 2012 21:48:11 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

gjw - 1 hour ago  » 
    Graham,

That's interesting. Note the epg doesn't grey out the channels on the Foxsat-hdr it's the list command that does this (missing from the hdr-1000s).
    Running some tests for a few days. After this I will give this a check.

I have seen this as well, they greyed out indicatation was a bonus.

| Wed 28 Nov 2012 0:02:57 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Riff

hello folks,

my philips dvdr5350h burned out one day recently
    Currys/PCWorld could not fix it and have given me a voucher for £240 which is just £10 shy of a new Humax 1010s which I am soooooo willing to pay

the only problem is - everywhere online says you MUST have 2 separate LNB cables from your Sky dish to use the Humax 1010s

that means me messing about and paying to ...
    finding out exactly which sky dish i have
    getting the correct type quad output LNB
    getting new cable for the second line
    drilling a bigger hole in the external wall for the twin cabling
    etc etc

then suddenly I fall across this Humax forum and straight onto this page where Robert declares he not only uses a Humax 1000s with just 1 LNB cable (no splitter ?) but also records etc as if he has 2 LNBs connected with all the internal functionality of 2 cables

I really need to know if the Humax 1010s would equally work happily with just 1 LNB cable connected, let alone record as if it had 2

Even if it will work, is there any shortfall having only 1 LNB cable compared to having 2
    ie
    can you only watch other channels with the same transponder when recording ?
    does 2 cables give extra abilities to having 1 cable ?

Many regards

Riff

| Thu 24 Apr 2014 21:48:07 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Riff - 11 hours ago  » 
    hello folks,
    my philips dvdr5350h burned out one day recently
    Currys/PCWorld could not fix it and have given me a voucher for £240 which is just £10 shy of a new Humax 1010s which I am soooooo willing to pay
    the only problem is - everywhere online says you MUST have 2 separate LNB cables from your Sky dish to use the Humax 1010s
    that means me messing about and paying to ...
    finding out exactly which sky dish i have
    getting the correct type quad output LNB
    getting new cable for the second line
    drilling a bigger hole in the external wall for the twin cabling
    etc etc
    then suddenly I fall across this Humax forum and straight onto this page where Robert declares he not only uses a Humax 1000s with just 1 LNB cable (no splitter ?) but also records etc as if he has 2 LNBs connected with all the internal functionality of 2 cables
    I really need to know if the Humax 1010s would equally work happily with just 1 LNB cable connected, let alone record as if it had 2
    Even if it will work, is there any shortfall having only 1 LNB cable compared to having 2
    ie
    can you only watch other channels with the same transponder when recording ?
    does 2 cables give extra abilities to having 1 cable ?
    Many regards
    Riff

Yes the HDR1010S will work with one cable quite happily. However there will be some restrictions as to what 2nd channel you can record while connected in this way. A little less than 50% of the total available channels in fact. The restriction on 2nd recording (and 3rd channel viewing is explained here)

Note the HDR1010S doesn't need the external link cable required by the older Foxsat-HDR and is also able to record the third viewed channel from the time shift buffer file after one of the two recordings has completed.

Welcome to the forum.

| Fri 25 Apr 2014 9:03:03 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Riff

grahamlthompson - 21 hours ago <a href="http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/how-is-this-possible#post-
    26841"> » 

Yes the HDR1010S will work with one cable quite happily. However there will be some restrictions as to what 2nd channel you can record while connected in this way. A little less than 50% of the
    total available channels in fact. The restriction on 2nd recording (and 3rd channel viewing is explained here)
    Note the HDR1010S doesn't need the external link cable required by the older Foxsat-HDR and is also able to record the third viewed channel from the time shift buffer file after one of the two recordings has completed.
    Welcome to the forum.

Thankyou for the response Graham,

I had an interesting visit to PCWorld yesterday.
    The manager on that shift told me I must have 2 separate LNB cables connected as the initializing setup would fail without them.
    I told him that a member of myhumax.org was running a 1000s with just 1 cable and was happily recording up to 2 channels at a time restricted to similar band channels.
    This manager told me to disregard these claim as invalid.
    So I left without purchasing the Humax 1010s (again).

This manager also declared that if I bought the 1010s and 1 cable did not work I could NOT return the recorder for maybe the SAGEMCOM DTR 94500 Freesat+ which is guaranteed to work with 1 cable.
    He said that the recorder would not be faulty but would be classed as "second hand" due to my unwrapping and testing it out.

So here I am, willing to purchase the new 1010s but being told if my single cable fails to operate it I am stuck with a non-returnable white elephant.

Links such as this..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-HPxO9yqoE
    just add to my fears of purchase the lovely 1010s only to find it won't work

What a fiasco !

Many regards
    Riff

| Sat 26 Apr 2014 17:58:48 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.