My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

How to back up Aura

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

robtpcs

As there seems to be no option to defragment the Aura internal HDD, Is it possible to back up the recordings to an external Hard disk drive, so that the Aura internal HDD can be reformatted?
    If so - HOW?

| Sun 8 Sep 2024 20:28:41 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

robtpcs - 1 hour ago  » 
    As there seems to be no option to defragment the Aura internal HDD, Is it possible to back up the recordings to an external Hard disk drive, so that the Aura internal HDD can be reformatted?

Why do you want to defragment the hard drive?

| Sun 8 Sep 2024 21:42:10 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

I'm not sure you need to defragment the internal HDD.

I don't think there is an easy way to backup the disk in a way that doesn't invalidate the warranty. Connecting an external USB drive to a USB port would sound like a good idea. But most, if not all, apps will only give you read access to such a drive. The only solution I can think of is more complex. You'd need to connect a PC to the same network as the Aura. Any backup media (USB drive) would need to be connected to the PC. You would then need to use FTP (on the PC) to transfer files from the Aura to your backup media. Once all the files you want to backup are saved you could reformat the disk. Files saved in this manner can be restored to the Aura by FTPing them back to a special location (which has escaped my memory at the moment). Doing so will recover the file as a recording viewable in the listing as normal. Frankly, I wouldn't waste your time doing this, but you did ask!

| Mon 9 Sep 2024 8:07:43 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

robtpcs

I tried to load file management software to the Aura, but it was unable to see the recorded data folders. So will try to use an external PC to view the Aura. Any FTP software that you can suggest to do this?

[Defragmentation - when a hard disk continuously saves and deletes to the same area, files get very fragmented which causes files to be slow to access and more prone to disk errors and file retrieval problems.]

| Mon 9 Sep 2024 10:01:29 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

If you really want to find recordings from a file management app, they are at:
    Android/data/com.humaxdigital.corona.tvinput.freeview/files/recordings
    If you managed to save these anywhere you'd unlikely be able to return them to the disk as you won't have write access to this location.
    I use WinSCP to FTP on an old version of Windows. The location to return recordings to the Aura by FTP is Recordings/Upload (instructions in folder). Only use this location to upload files downloaded as in previous post. Files found by an app on the Aura are NOT suitable.

I'm not an Android/Linux expert, but I'm led to believe defragmentation is rarely required on these systems - that includes the Aura. I would strongly advise against trying to do it.

| Mon 9 Sep 2024 10:30:31 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

robtpcs - 1 hour ago  » 
    [Defragmentation - when a hard disk continuously saves and deletes to the same area, files get very fragmented which causes files to be slow to access and more prone to disk errors and file retrieval problems.]

Fragmentation was certainly a problem with FAT32 file systems. The Aura uses a Linux file system and recordings are large files. Also the modern hard drives and CPU performance mean that the reading and writing data on the Aura is not a limiting factor so my opinion, for what little it is worth, is defragmentation isn't necessary on the Aura.

| Mon 9 Sep 2024 12:07:57 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

robtpcs

Thank you both for your clarifications.

So you are talking about accessing the recordings using an external windows computer via a network, rather than from an app loaded onto the Aura with a usb hard disk attached?

| Mon 16 Sep 2024 11:13:56 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

robtpcs - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thank you both for your clarifications.
    So you are talking about accessing the recordings using an external windows computer via a network, rather than from an app loaded onto the Aura with a usb hard disk attached?

Whenever I've used an app on the Aura I only get read access to an external USB drive attached to the Aura. I only have a Windows PC. I'd imagine access from other personal computers should be similar.

From a PC via the network it's possible to login to the Aura via FTP. Recordings can be downloaded to the PC. If they are SD they are playable. (HD can be transcoded on the Aura and downloaded - but I'm not sure the next step is possible.) If the Aura disk has had the recording deleted (or the disk formatted) then if an SD file is uploaded via FTP to the area I mentioned in a previous post it should reappear in the recordings list. I know of no other way to do this. Humax (and Android) have made life difficult by making access to all disks difficult!

| Mon 16 Sep 2024 13:40:56 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.