My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

How to improve 5000T performance

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

sirdavy

I bought an FVP-5000T two years ago, I was worried about the reports of sluggish performance & awkward UI and, oh boy, were my worries borne out.

It's horrible to use, absolutely horrible and I'm getting to the end of my tether with it.

Before I junk it can you tell me if there are any solutions to any of the below? Has someone created another UI for it? Is there anyway to upgrade the box? I'd like to kick it all the way down the street but I need something to stream from my NAS but AFAIK I can't do this with a Firestick/Chromecast.

- sluggish start up of its own UI
    - stalling of the whole box and having to reboot
    - latency between pressing a button on the remote and the action happening
    - sluggish start up and performance of apps like netflix and iPlayer
    - stalling of netflix and iPlayer
    - inability to simply click on a programme in the guide and instantly switch to it.
    - the stupid organising/deleting of recordings
    - the sluggishness of navigating recordings and media stream from my NAS including the fussy folder hierarchy

| Wed 26 Feb 2020 11:53:47 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Put Plex on your Firestick. That should be all you need to stream from your NAS.
    If you decide to bin your 5000t, give me a shout please.

Chris

| Wed 26 Feb 2020 12:18:30 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

I can relate to some of your problems - but I do not think you should "junk" it just yet. My comments in line below.

- sluggish start up of its own UI
    [/i]From a cold start - yes, maybe 30 seconds. But if you run the media server from say 6:00 to 24:00 as I do then a few seconds at most. Think of this machine as a PC - with a not very fast processor and a HDD (spinning variety) to get to a sensible price point for the market.[/i]
    - stalling of the whole box and having to reboot
    [/i]Why do you have to do that? I haven't rebooted mine in ages and then only because I was adjusting the cables
    - latency between pressing a button on the remote and the action happening
    Some functions can be a bit slow e.g. bringing up the recordings list but I know the things that are slow (never more than 3 -4 seconds) I don't worry about it
    - sluggish start up and performance of apps like netflix and iPlayer
    [i]iPlayer is slow for me but no slower than e.g. firestick. Netflix using the dedicated button is almost instantaneous. Is you network connection fast and stable?

- stalling of netflix and iPlayer
    Very occasionally for me but usually down to a network problem
    - inability to simply click on a programme in the guide and instantly switch to it.
    Yes you can - but you also get the option to record the whole series which is quite useful
    - the stupid organising/deleting of recordings
    I am not sure what you mean - why stupid?
    - the sluggishness of navigating recordings and media stream from my NAS including the fussy folder hierarchy
    That may be down to network and NAS design - but I don't understand your problem

Hope that may assist - if your box is not working as well as mine then there must be something wrong with either it or your network environment.

Sorry about the confusion with my italicised comments!!!

| Fri 28 Feb 2020 9:02:38 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I can stream from my NAS to Chromecast without any problems plus my SMART LG TV can do the same thing.

| Fri 28 Feb 2020 14:20:51 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

sirdavy

Thanks everybody.

Plex won't run on my NAS. I've just bought a firestick and I'm trying to figure out using KODI on it. Hope the firestick will run Netflix faster than the asthmatic Humax.

Unfortunately, this means I'm back to the hell of having three remotes. Just want one piece of kit that will do freeview recording & NAS Streaming & streaming services well. I don't need colourful menus and animations just want something that works.

Sorry Graham, we must have different boxes. I've got a series recorded that includes 50+ episodes and to delete it i have to SELECT EACH EPISODE ONE AT A TIME. Glad you don't have this problem.

| Fri 28 Feb 2020 17:29:52 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

sirdavy - 52 mins ago  » 
    Thanks everybody.
    Plex won't run on my NAS. I've just bought a firestick and I'm trying to figure out using KODI on it. Hope the firestick will run Netflix faster than the asthmatic Humax.
    Unfortunately, this means I'm back to the hell of having three remotes. Just want one piece of kit that will do freeview recording & NAS Streaming & streaming services well. I don't need colourful menus and animations just want something that works.
    Sorry Graham, we must have different boxes. I've got a series recorded that includes 50+ episodes and to delete it i have to SELECT EACH EPISODE ONE AT A TIME. Glad you don't have this problem.

Highlight the recording folder in Recordings Programme. Press the + button select the delete option. This deletes the folder and all the recordings in it.

I have 4K firestick with plex and also have plex on my laptop. I have a 2TB usb drive with Movies and Photos. The firestick will play them and even better it switches to the native framerate. As a result 23.976 fps plays smoothly with no motion artefacts like netflix creates as a result of outputting at 60hz. The Amazon Prime video app also fully supports 24 fps content.

| Fri 28 Feb 2020 18:28:47 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

sirdavy

Thanks Graham, I'll use that advice right now and free up some space. Maybe that will speed things up.

Have just installed Kodi on a firestick and it works BEAUTIFULLY. Think the firestick will do my NAS streaming, streaming services and I'll just struggle on with watching/recording Freeview TV from the Humax. Can't believe there's not a new box out there capable of doing such bog standard things well.

Since the Humax doesn't need to be hooked up to the internet I'll disconnect its ethernet connection...maybe that will improve its performance if its not busy telling Netflix about my viewing habits.

| Fri 28 Feb 2020 21:40:19 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

sirdavy - 4 mins ago  » 
    Thanks Graham, I'll use that advice right now and free up some space. Maybe that will speed things up.
    Have just installed Kodi on a firestick and it works BEAUTIFULLY. Think the firestick will do my NAS streaming, streaming services and I'll just struggle on with watching/recording Freeview TV from the Humax. Can't believe there's not a new box out there capable of doing such bog standard things well.
    Since the Humax doesn't need to be hooked up to the internet I'll disconnect its ethernet connection...maybe that will improve its performance if its not busy telling Netflix about my viewing habits.

The UK catch up sources that deliver 50Hz content like iplayer, ITV player all-4 etc work just fine on my 100Mbps connection. They do reduce the quality according to the speed of your isp connection which is why I asked how fast your ISP download speed is.

Is your box WiFi connected or wired. All my kit is connected with a 16 way network switch connected to my WiFi router with a pair of 300Mbs home plugs.

You need to check your download speed with somethink like a laptop or tablet close to your box location. This sounds like a local WiFi coverage issue.

| Fri 28 Feb 2020 21:48:48 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

sirdavy

My connection is good Virgin just boosted it from 50 to 100. Box is wired. The quality is fine when it plays it's just how long the box takes to apply the apps themselves. Recent experience with the firestick using iPlayer and using kodi to navigate my NAS folder system is night and day; amazing fast and no latency in selecting, no sluggishness in executions. From a stick.

| Fri 28 Feb 2020 23:34:55 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.