My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

How to stop file delete on Humax Foxsat

(16 posts)
  1. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It would be possible to copy another install quite simply - but for a new one the install scripts do directly make changes to the hard disk and assume that they are in a Linux system with the Foxsat device mount points etc.

| Mon 10 Sep 2012 11:29:39 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Partridge2

grahamlthompson - 12 hours ago  » 
    while the drive is on a PC it ought to be possible to set up the custom firmware directly to the HDD so the next time you boot it's already installed.

Hi Graham, I agree that the various packages for the custom firmware, web-interface etc. could be copied to the HDD while connected to a PC.

But the custom firmware also changes a couple of important files in the core linux operating system which is in flash memory on the Foxsat HDR and so not on the hard drive. One of these is the startup script which instructs the HDR to look on the hard drive for custom firmware packages - without this the packages can be on the hard drive but are never started when the machine is booted.

When new firmware is flashed onto the HDR with a USB stick it is primarily to overwrite the linux operating system in flash memory with the custom version.

| Mon 10 Sep 2012 22:30:45 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Partridge2 - 10 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 12 hours ago  » 
    When new firmware is flashed onto the HDR with a USB stick it is primarily to overwrite the linux operating system in flash memory with the custom version.

Thanks for the info, you live and learn

| Tue 11 Sep 2012 9:24:30 #13 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A copy from another install would leave you in the same state as if you have preiously flashed and installed the firmware but it had just been overwritten by an OTA.

i.e. all the software would be there but the boot process does not contain the trigger to start the custom scripts.

| Tue 11 Sep 2012 14:56:00 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnscotty

Nothing is every simple with computers (and the software in particular). But actually it turned out sort of easy once I knew how (famous last words).

Started back with the Humax HDD on the pc, installed Ext2fsd but all I got were the various partitions with the volume size - no file details at all. Thats when I moved on the recovery software with R-Linux. But didn't get round to doing recover. That sofware gave me the files and the delete file I needed to delete. But as recovery software it wouldn't let me do that. Then went on to Diskinternals, Linux reader. Again this featured all and sundry but the delete option wouldn't work - that option was protected. It gave me options for permission but then on the changes it said no. Went to Knoppix as that seemed to suggest all manner of options in its linux boot. Got there, yes I could read all the files but again delete was not in the repertoir.
    More reading and picked up a hint that the original EXt2fsd actually worked within windows explorer and not its own window. A few clicks on its dedicated menu and it seemed to give some activation options. One featured control panel so thought I'd tick enable and restart. On restart, opened explorer and all files were revealed including the delete folder I had been after. Pressed delete and all was gone (I did back it up just in case). HDD back in the Humax, fired it up (well the other HDD I had put in was running rather hot (fried eggs anyone! - must check the fan is working). And that's it - the box booted without deleting any further files and there is still 77 of the programs there (yes I lost a few (and I might go back to see if I can reciover some with the other software but thats for the weekend)).

Thanks for your help and comments.

Cheers

John

| Fri 14 Sep 2012 2:47:23 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Well done

EXT2FSD installs with the option read only set. You have to activate the writing option.

| Fri 14 Sep 2012 9:24:37 #16 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.