My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

How to use 2 Humax PVR's on one TV

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Condor

I have an elderly Fox T2 which I have just replaced with an FVP5000T but still wish to view some of the old recordings on the T2. How can I connect them up to my TV - it's a Samsung RU7100 Series with 3 HDMI ports, ideally one for the HUMAX, one for Amazon Firestick and one for our old PS2 used as a bluray/disc player. This has got me confuddled, age creeping up!!!!

| Sat 31 Aug 2019 16:56:48 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

https://www.argos.co.uk/search/hdmi-splitter-cable/

Something like this.

| Sat 31 Aug 2019 18:00:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Condor

Thanks for that - so its the HDMI I would need to split? Rather than daisy chaining the two Humax boxes? Was wondering how to connect the coax cables as the input goes to Humax 1, then humax to telly, so how does one connect the second Humax box?

| Sat 31 Aug 2019 18:03:09 #3 |
  4. Trev

Trev

special member

You don't need the aerial connected to the 'old'T2 if you only want to catchp the recordings thereon. Use the 5000T to record from now on and feed the aerial to that and thence to the TV.

| Sat 31 Aug 2019 18:08:12 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Condor

Thanks for that folks - so I can just hook up the old T2 via HDMI and it will allow playback of recordings I already have? Have ordered the HDMI switch for delivery tomorrow......hopefully will get sorted.

Out of interest, If someone wanted to be able to record on either PVR connected to the same TV, would one daisychain the Hummy boxes? Am thinking there may be electronic confusion with old tech and new tech attached, and remotes might get really confused. Is it even possible?

| Sat 31 Aug 2019 20:45:45 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Daisy chaining should work and it's easy (and cheap enough) to try.

| Sun 1 Sep 2019 7:45:24 #7 |
  8. Trev

Trev

special member

Just do it. It'll work.
    There are couple of possible gochas:
    1. The gain of the two PVRs in series may cause a tuner overload (Pixellating/loss of signal) in the TV. But is pretty unlikely unless you live in a really strong signal area.
    2. Both PVRs will have to be left in (non low power mode) standby, else the TV will not get a signal.

| Sun 1 Sep 2019 8:16:39 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Condor - 12 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for that folks - so I can just hook up the old T2 via HDMI and it will allow playback of recordings I already have? Have ordered the HDMI switch for delivery tomorrow......hopefully will get sorted.
    Out of interest, If someone wanted to be able to record on either PVR connected to the same TV, would one daisychain the Hummy boxes? Am thinking there may be electronic confusion with old tech and new tech attached, and remotes might get really confused. Is it even possible?

No problem provided you follow Trevs advice re-low power sby. All the channels received by your aerial will be passed through the chain of devices with your TV normally being the last in the chain. The tuner or tuners in each device will extract the channel it requires from the appropriate digital mux. Of course your older devices with only DVB-T capability will only work with SD channels. The newer kit with DVB-T2 capability will be able to use all channels using DVB-T2. This is mainly but not exclusively HD sources. Some transmitters have two additional Mux COM 7 and COM 8. These add additional HD channels but also some SD ones.

| Sun 1 Sep 2019 9:24:24 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Condor

grahamlthompson - 17 hours ago  » 
    You just need a HDMI switch with enough inputs to connect all your kit to one HDMI port on your TV. You just leave the TV selected to the one HDMI port. You select what to view by simply selecting the switch input you want to see on the TV.

Attached the switch which has arrived. New Hummy is fine, just hunting for a spare flylead for the TV and HDMI cable now for the second one. Or default to Amamzon again!!! I can't get the Firestick working on it though - switch detects some thing plugged in but fails to load up. Maybe insufficient power? Firestick has its own powersupply though and is plugged in.

| Sun 1 Sep 2019 12:23:39 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.