My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Humax 1000s volume question

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Andygoz

Random question as a prospective buyer and il try explain it the best i can. anyone who owns this box when controlling the volume is it possible to control the volume of your TV instead of the box volume?

So basically to keep the volume at 100 on the box but to control the TV volume

I have looked at the remote control and it looks exactly the same as the very first youview box which was awful as you had to flick between controlling the boxes volume and pressing TV to control the TV volume.

| Wed 19 Oct 2016 20:50:32 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Not with the original remote. You need something like the Harmony remote that allows you to specify which kit does what and what each one has to be set to.

Basically assuming you use just the box and a TV. You setup a activity watch the HB1000S.

When you press the watch HB1000S it it turns on the Box and the TV, it selects the right input on the TV. The volume control button is assigned to the TV, the rest to the PVR.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-350-Remote-Control/dp/B00KD5LBVY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1476907745&sr=8-2&keywords=harmony+remote

Welcome to our forum.

| Wed 19 Oct 2016 21:09:52 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Andygoz

Seems really strange that it can't do the same thing as a sky box or even a youview dtr 2100.

Want to be able to just control the tv's volume and change channels without switching between the Tv and STB buttons.

Maybe it's just me but can't understand why I can't find anyone else flagging this up as an issue

| Wed 19 Oct 2016 21:20:14 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Andygoz - 53 seconds ago  » 
    Seems really strange that it can't do the same thing as a sky box or even a youview dtr 2100.
    Want to be able to just control the tv's volume and change channels without switching between the Tv and STB buttons.
    Maybe it's just me but can't understand why I can't find anyone else flagging this up as an issue

A Sky box is different, it has no way of varying the output volume of the box itself. It's a peculiarity of all Humax boxes. However with just a TV it's not an issue when watching the box provided you change the digital output to stereo. That way all channels will have a similar volume level so you set a reasonable base level volume on the TV and then vary the volume with the pvr volume control.

There is no way of changing the TV channels without using the TV button as it would just change the channel on the box not the TV (same applies to a Sky box)

| Wed 19 Oct 2016 21:25:28 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Andygoz

My issue with it is if you are only controlling the freesat Boxes volume then when you flick to say another Hdmi input or a smart tv service then you use the TV volume again and this means the volume is inconsistent between devices.

My wife for example uses the sky remote for tv then the tv remote for Netflix and the volume is consistent across all, easy and simple.

I really like the look of the Humax box however the volume issue and the ridiculous clickyness of the remote are absolute no-no's so I shall have a look in to your Logitech remote suggestion thank you

| Wed 19 Oct 2016 21:56:12 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I have a 1000s and the Freeview version the 2000T and this is what I do. I have the 1000s set at 38, and the 2000T at 15. When I do this the volume from the TV, 1000s and 2000T are in perfect sync and I can toggle between all three inputs without any volume variation whatsoever.

I never touch the volume keys on either of the Humax remotes once set but use the TVs volume remote instead. The audio for all devices comes via a Sonos soundbar.

| Wed 19 Oct 2016 22:15:36 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Andygoz - 13 hours ago  » ...Maybe it's just me but can't understand why I can't find anyone else flagging this up as an issue

It's not by any means a serious issue. Others have pointed to ways of controlling the volume, my own method is...
    Set my Samsung TV volume to a fixed value of 25. Set Humax STB to a fixed value of 30, adjust up/down using Humax R/C as domestic needs dictate. If I use TV R/C to change to another channel or HDMI port then if necessary use TV R/C for volume (after all I'm using it already), when returning to Humax set TV volume back to 25. Thereafter use Humax volume (again, I'm using it already).
    Simple. Certainly not a show-stopper. The clicky Humax R/C you get used to. If you can't live with this then stick with Sky.

| Thu 20 Oct 2016 10:50:09 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Small points. the Humax box remembers the last used volume level except

1 If you have a power on timer set ensure the power on volume is set to your custom level, otherwise it will revert to whatever level you have set in the timer.

2 After a factory reset power level is reset to default level of 50%

| Thu 20 Oct 2016 12:24:23 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.