My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Humax 1100S Hard Disk Change

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Basil11

I have one of the original 1000S versions with the display. It has started to do some weird things from time to time. Despite factory resets etc. I think it is just worn out!

I would like to change the hard disk. Has anyone done this on the forum and has anyone tried to use an SSD disk?

I am an engineer, so pretty savvy when it comes to this sort of thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

| Tue 9 Apr 2019 18:52:41 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Basil11 - 6 minutes ago  » 
    I have one of the original 1000S versions with the display. It has started to do some weird things from time to time. H

You might want to describe the "weird things" to see if anyone recognises the symptoms.

I would like to change the hard disk. Has anyone done this on the forum and has anyone tried to use an SSD disk?

Plenty of people have changed hard drives. A modern good quality SSD is feasible but it isn't used commonly because the only benefit is to eliminate hard drive noise; the performance of the standard drives is more than adequate for a two tuner PVR.

| Tue 9 Apr 2019 19:04:28 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Basil11 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have one of the original 1000S versions with the display. It has started to do some weird things from time to time. Despite factory resets etc. I think it is just worn out!
    I am an engineer, so pretty savvy when it comes to this sort of thing.
    Any help would be appreciated.

My HDR-1000S is on it's 3rd 2TB disk. A 2TB SSD will cost a pretty penny and other than silence and power consumption it won't increase the performance. The box cpu and software cannot take any advantage of the vastly increased read/write capability. For the same reason you don't find pvrs with usb 3.0 ports. The software is designed to support the pvr functions leaving the lower priority functions like say usb media playback to steal clock cycles.

| Tue 9 Apr 2019 20:56:17 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Basil11

Thanks for all your info. Too many different weird things from time to time, so it is not down to one thing.

I will change the HD with a new ordinary one, though I think this is unlikely to be the problem.

However, I suspect that it is just an age problem. It must be 9 or 10 years old; on all the time and has experienced lots of very short mains cuts despite it being connected to a UPS. The UPS just cannot hold very short cuts. I have discussed this with APS. I am hoping it will keep working until Humax bring out their new model perhaps at the end of the year.

| Wed 10 Apr 2019 18:06:33 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I changed my HDD for a WD purple 2tb 3.5" sata surveillance hard drive from EBuyer. No problems. BTW the 1000S was released in Oct 2012.

| Thu 11 Apr 2019 10:21:41 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Basil11 - 18 hours ago  » 
    I am hoping it will keep working until Humax bring out their new model perhaps at the end of the year.

What new model? The contract for the new Freesat box has been placed elsewhere.

| Thu 11 Apr 2019 12:30:53 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.