My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Humax 9150T replacement hard drive

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

fan168

Hi,

I have the 9150T with original 160GB hard drive. Owned the device for a number of years now and it still suits my needs, however I am starting to run out of disk space and am interested in replacing the hard drive with a larger one.

Given that there is a hard limit of 511 recordings , can someone recommend what the best replacement hard drive would be? I believe it needs to also be CE standard.

Any advice appreciated,
    Thanks,

| Tue 9 Oct 2012 10:24:16 #1 |
  2. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

I don't think the drive has to be a CE drive in particular. You need a 3.5" SATA (not SATA III) that is less than 750GB (I would say doubling your capacity to 320GB is enough and would be safer).

Here are some recommendations:

1. WD AV-GP WD3200AVVS - 320GB CE drive @ £40
    2. Generic 320GB SATA 3.5" @ £35
    3. Seagate Barracuda 500GB SpinPoint F3 @ £54

| Tue 9 Oct 2012 11:33:24 #2 |
  3. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Although I have no practical experience I thought these (or similar) were the type to use.

| Tue 9 Oct 2012 11:56:47 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I would second that, standard PC drives will work fine but after considerable use the inbuilt error correction kicks in which can delay the data transfer. Based on PC drives being used in Foxsat-hdrs this seems to take around 18 months or so.

| Tue 9 Oct 2012 12:03:31 #4 |
  5. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Also based on experience, having originally replaced the hard disk in my 9200T with a normal (non-CE) Seagate (250GB) HDD - it is still going strong and has never presented any problems.

Since the 9150T, 9200T and 9300T are non-HD recorders, I would not worry about data transfer rate in the same vein as the newer FOXSAT or FOX T2 recorders.

(If you are that technical and worry about a drive lasting longer than the manufacturers warranty period - normally more than 3 years - then go for the first in my recommendation list, as its is a CE drive!)

| Tue 9 Oct 2012 12:48:44 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I've only ever used standard drives as upgrades and never had a problem. The CE or AV drives are cheaper to manufacture as they don't have the same error correction and are generally slower and have less cache. Ironically they tend to be more expensive retail and at one time it was difficult to get hold of them.

You don't really want a 7200rpm or faster drive as they'll generate more heat and be louder. 5400 or 5900'ish is more than fast enough, go for one with as much cache as possible, which uses as little power as possible and has the longest warranty at the cheapest price.

If I had a suitable older slower 500GB drive in my pc then I'd be upgrading the pc, making it a fair bit faster and using the pc drive for the pvr, just a thought for the more technically minded.

Drives used to come with a 5 year warranty, they can be anything now and if you're keeping the 9150T for a few years then I'd be looking for at least a 3 year warranty which I believe the above WD has

| Tue 9 Oct 2012 15:35:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

fan168

Thanks for all the responses

| Tue 9 Oct 2012 16:01:02 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.