My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

HUMAX 9200T DVB-S

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Buddha

Greetings, all. I think I'm about to set myself up for a boot-to-the-head, but let me start by saying that I simply move around too much and don't watch enough TV to be even remotely educated on how things work. I tried searching several terms here, but had no luck, so here goes. Be gentle.

I've got a HUMAX 9200T that I bought whilst living in the UK, and now it's sitting under the TV in Germany collecting dust. TV signal for the house is through Satellite dish w/LNB; I tried upon arrival to get the 9200T to work with it, with no luck. Now...I know I got the 9200T as a digital terrestrial receiver, but my stupid question is -- will it work as a satellite DVB-S receiver? If it will, will it take a pay view card (I got this idea because of the CAM slot), or is that slot simply for pay view digital terrestrial signals?

I'm looking for a receiver that will take a pay subscription satellite card from Slovakia for a full satellite TV package...that's not terrestrial. Love my HUMAX -- it would be nice if it were the answer. :S

Fire away.

| Mon 3 Jun 2013 21:37:02 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Buddha - 30 minutes ago  » 
    I've got a HUMAX 9200T that I bought whilst living in the UK, and now it's sitting under the TV in Germany collecting dust. TV signal for the house is through Satellite dish w/LNB; I tried upon arrival to get the 9200T to work with it, with no luck. Now...I know I got the 9200T as a digital terrestrial receiver, but my stupid question is -- will it work as a satellite DVB-S receiver?

I would say there is absolutely no chance of making it into a satellite receiver; sorry.

| Mon 3 Jun 2013 22:08:05 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Buddha

I was afraid that would be the answer... Thanks for confirming though!

| Mon 3 Jun 2013 22:12:29 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It won't work. Satellite digital services for one thing use a higher frequency than terrestrial digital services. In addition unlike a terrestrial box connected to an aerial, the box sends control signals to the lnb to switch polarisation and frequency band.

Any cheap digital satellite box will allow you to view free to air content from whatever point your dish points at (most likely 19.2E). These can be bought for as little as £25.00 or so.

| Mon 3 Jun 2013 22:14:03 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Buddha

grahamlthompson - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Any cheap digital satellite box will allow you to view free to air content from whatever point your dish points at (most likely 19.2E). These can be bought for as little as £25.00 or so.

Thanks for the explanation on how they work. I've got a cheap set top box now, and we're pointed at Hotbird or Astra, can't remember which. Mainly Arabic channels, with about four Italian channels we watch. I believe the Slovak satellite I want to hit is around 23.5 (I think I read that somewhere, but will certainly confirm before adjusting the dish). Guess I need to head down to MediaMart and buy one that takes a card, or pick one up when I'm in Slovakia.

| Mon 3 Jun 2013 22:19:04 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.