2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Well done Humax!

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 8:01:56 #2 |
  3. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

I like the idea of three on board tuners, I'd imagine online content will have a bit more than Freesats offerings. Looks like I maybe considering getting an aerial put back on the roof.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 8:24:53 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I like this:

While other details about the unnamed products are scarce, Humax has confirmed that the first boxes will also feature built-in WiFi for streaming on-demand content - a feature which has yet to appear on the rival YouView platform.

Is this in the core spec I wonder.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 12:09:52 #4 |
  5. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

Yes three on board tuners does sound promising though I doubt there will be similar functionality to the VM Tivo boxes which buffer all 3 tuners.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 19:03:04 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

-gonzo- - 12 hours ago  » 
    I like the idea of three on board tuners, I'd imagine online content will have a bit more than Freesats offerings. Looks like I maybe considering getting an aerial put back on the roof.

Speculating - maybe Humax will follow its three-tuner Freeview Play box with a three-tuner Freesat Freetime box.

One of each should cover most bases.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 20:53:54 #6 |
  7. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

JamesB - 2 minutes ago  » 

Speculating - maybe Humax will follow its three-tuner Freeview Play box with a three-tuner Freesat Freetime box.

Only issue with a freesat triple tuner would be having to run another cable from the dish to the box which I'm sure for most would/could be a problem, whereas with Freeview one cable will cater for all three tuners.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 21:05:08 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

-gonzo- - 11 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 2 minutes ago  » 

Only issue with a freesat triple tuner would be having to run another cable from the dish to the box which I'm sure for most would/could be a problem, whereas with Freeview one cable will cater for all three tuners.

True.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 21:16:40 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 

So would a Freeview+ box in addition to a freetime box.

I have wealth of tuners. But only a quad lnb.

A Foxsat-hdr (under the TV), two HDR-FOX T2s and a HDR1000S in a separate rack 10m from the TV.

A recent purchase was a Panasonic TV with twin Freesat(freetime) tuners and twin Freeview+ tuners capable of recording any two in any combination. It wasn't bought for this but if you have the capability you might as well use it

Sat tuner 1 on the TV is fed from the Foxsat tuner 1 out socket (so is subject to the limits imposed by this connection when the Foxsat is on or recording), no such restriction of course applies to the Freeview tuners.

Never found any combination I can't record, finding the time to watch everything is much more of a problem

A friend has a TIVO box which of course has 3 tuners, as far as I can tell it isn't as flexible as it might suggest. I may be wrong but the third tuner appears only to allow third viewing while recording two, which the twin tuner Humax boxes also offer in a more limited way.

It will be very interesting to see if the new boxes fully implement what in theory should be possible.

ie

Record two channels from the same Mux using only tuner 1

Record two channels from the same/or different mux using tuner 2

Record two channels from the same of different mux using tuner 3

Record up to 6 channels at the same time (I hope they come with large drives).

I have my doubts, my guess is the box will work like the TIVO.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 22:37:10 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Never found any combination I can't record, finding the time to watch everything is much more of a problem

Agreed. But it's interesting to speculate about possible future functionality.

There's speculation on the YouView forum that Humax's new Freeview Play box might look a bit like the HbbTV-based Humax Australia HMS-1000T. Looks tempting:

http://techau.com.au/hands-on-with-the-humax-4tune-a-freeview-dvr-media-server-and-slingbox-in-one/

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 22:54:59 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.