My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Humax and Laptop ITV Player availabilities differ

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

BDJ

When I look at programme availability times using Humax I get much shorter times (less than a week, even zero) but using my laptop I get 20 days and more for the same programmes. Can anybody explain?

| Thu 15 Oct 2015 21:49:41 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Are you basing this on access via the backward epg, or direct access by the on demand menu ?

Can you give an example to compare ?

But yes some differences do happen. perhaps down to licensing.

Welcome to our forum.

| Thu 15 Oct 2015 21:56:32 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

BDJ

Thanks, Graham.

This morning (16 Oct 07.30):

on Freesat via HB-1000S, Coronation Street has 2 episodes for 1 and 5 days, resp. Downton Abbey has 1 episode for 2 days.

on laptop via ITV Player web site, CS has 15 episodes, Downton has four (9, 16, 23, 30 days).

Both use same internet connection, router and ISP.

It appears that different devices receive ITV Player differently despite same source. Perhaps a licensing thing as you say but why? I'd much rather use Humax and my large TV. My new Humax box is a disappointment.

Brian

| Fri 16 Oct 2015 7:34:19 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Same on mine, however the freetime ITV player if I remember correctly is due for replacement. Can't you put your laptop screen on the TV ? I can miracast my laptop screen to my TV very quickly.

| Fri 16 Oct 2015 9:20:25 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

BDJ

Yes, I drove my TV from the laptop but I couldn't get sound on TV and sound on laptop headphones out of sync. Humax so much easier in principle. Humax advises me that its box and the laptop are fed by different servers. Why the servers differ in availability periods for the same programmes is a puzzle. And a nuisance. One would think that ITV and its advertisers would want to make it as easy as possible for programmes to be viewed.

| Sat 17 Oct 2015 6:53:01 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

BDJ - 2 hours ago  » 
    ...One would think that ITV and its advertisers would want to make it as easy as possible for programmes to be viewed.

That's a laugh. Input a Scottish postcode into a Humax Freetime box and you don't get ITVPlayer at all because of a petty broadcasting rights dispute with STV, who don't even have their STVPlayer on the sat platform and no plans to do so afaik. I pondered on buying another Humax box and abandoned that in favour of a Samsung smart tv which has both ITV and STV players onboard and allows you to enter a different postcode for each. Problem solved, business lost to Humax.

| Sat 17 Oct 2015 9:03:14 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Humax advises me that its box and the laptop are fed by different servers. Why the servers differ in availability periods for the same programmes is a puzzle. And a nuisance. One would think that ITV and its advertisers would want to make it as easy as possible for programmes to be viewed.

I don't think it's very puzzling. Catch-up players attract viewers to purchase and use various devices such as PVRs, streamers like Roku, Smart TVs, tablets, etc. Content owners like ITV license their players and a selection of their content to the device manufacturers / broadcasters for money. What's available on a given device, in this instance the Freetime PVR, depends on what deals have been done with ITV by, in this instance, Freesat. Driven by factors including the popularity of particular shows, the size of the potential audience, existing rights deals affecting particular content, etc.

| Sat 17 Oct 2015 9:07:25 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

BDJ - 2 hours ago  » 
    Yes, I drove my TV from the laptop but I couldn't get sound on TV and sound on laptop headphones out of sync. Humax so much easier in principle. Humax advises me that its box and the laptop are fed by different servers. Why the servers differ in availability periods for the same programmes is a puzzle. And a nuisance. One would think that ITV and its advertisers would want to make it as easy as possible for programmes to be viewed.

Right click on the volume control icon in the system tray, choose output devices. Make the HDMI digital output the default.

| Sat 17 Oct 2015 9:51:38 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

BDJ

Thanks, Graham, but Humax/TV is easier and more comfortable than hooking up my laptop (mine can't connect by wireless) and is better viewing. I'll just have to avoid falling behind by more than a week. If I do, I'll do without.

| Sat 17 Oct 2015 14:36:16 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.