My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Humax box turns off when TV turns off

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Buckyball

My 1100S HDR 2TB Freesat with freetime box is my second Humax Freesat product. The old one which inconveniently died over Christmas would stay on when I turned off my television.

The old box was connected in in the same way as the new one is. i.e.

My Television is a modern Sony Flat screen Bravia TV. This is connected to my Sony soundbar via an ARC 4 compliant HDMI connection. The Humax Freesat recorder also connects via an ARC 4 compliant HDMI to the Sony soundbar, The soundbar carries picture, audio and everything else to and fro all its connected devices via the HDMI ARC 4 compliant HDMI leads. This connection strategy is entirely in line with the instructions for the Sony HT-XT1 Soundbar.

Under this setup my old Humax box would stay on when the TV was turned off/onto standby. The new Humax box keeps turning itself off and needs to be turned on every time someone wants to watch TV. Thus we have the inconvenience of it booting on each occasion.

I have exhaustively looked through all the setup instructions and cannot find where to stop this happening. I would appreciate instructions on how to keep the Humax box switched on when the TV is switched off. Many thanks.

| Fri 12 Jan 2018 10:18:52 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Either Turn off Bravia Synch on the TV. (This will stop ARC working) or fit a cec removal adaptor to the Humax HDMI cable. Check the Sony menus to see if you can disable CEC power switching.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-HDMI-Less-Adapter-Female-Black/dp/B00DL48KVI/?tag=blusas008-21

Welcome to our forum.

| Fri 12 Jan 2018 10:52:37 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Buckyball

Many thanks for the welcome and advice grahamlthompson. I've just had a good look at as many menus as I can find on the Sony Bravia TV and cannot find any mention of CEC power switching, I tried changing the odd setting, but it made no difference. I reckon that adapter might be best was forwards. If I fit it will it stop anything else working that I might miss? Many thanks

| Fri 12 Jan 2018 16:14:02 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It should be called braviasync see: http://docs.esupport.sony.com/referencebook/en/s5100/pages/funfeatures/braviasync.html

| Fri 12 Jan 2018 16:25:29 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Buckyball - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Many thanks for the welcome and advice grahamlthompson. I've just had a good look at as many menus as I can find on the Sony Bravia TV and cannot find any mention of CEC power switching, I tried changing the odd setting, but it made no difference. I reckon that adapter might be best was forwards. If I fit it will it stop anything else working that I might miss? Many thanks

It will stop your TV auto selecting the 1100S HDMI port when you power on the box. Consider a Logitech Harmony remote as that can select the correct port on the TV when the watch 1100S activity is started. I wasn't sure about your Sony TV, my Panasaonic has a menu option to disable annoying CEC power control.

| Fri 12 Jan 2018 16:26:11 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

On my Sony Bravia, sync settings are via:

Home
    Settings
    External Inputs
    BRAVIA Sync Settings

Might be similar for your TV.

| Fri 12 Jan 2018 16:52:16 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Buckyball

On my Sony Bravia, sync settings are via:

Home
    Settings
    External Inputs
    BRAVIA Sync Settings

Might be similar for your TV

Hi Barry

Yes! That did it, there were a couple of possible settings to change, but I changed one to 'yes' and one to 'no' and now the box stays on when the TV is on standby - it means I have to turn off the soundbar manually, but this is less issue than waiting for the Humax to boot. Now I am just wondering if things changed with the new Humax box (i.e. to now turn off), because there was something wrong with them being on if they were not being used. Two things spring to mind a) power consumption - I guess it is greener/cheaper) to turn it off b) does it do the machine any harm to be be left turned on, i.e. does the hard disk keep spinning if its on to the possible detriment of the machine.

I only wonder as the previous machine lasted about 4-5 years before failing and losing all the recordings over Christmas! (I couldn't recover it and I tried everything - it wouldn't even reformat the hard drive and come back to life). I just wonder will the new machine last longer if I turn it off (maybe the disk stops spinning) when I can. The removal of the auto switch off will still help as I can turn it off manually (say during the day when it not used as often) and then leave it on at night when the TV is switched on and off at intervals. Any thoughts on this train of thought would be appreciated.

| Mon 15 Jan 2018 11:57:45 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The Humax will use considerably less power in standby, not exceeding 0.5 whatts. While powered up the disk will be spinning and also recording the channel it is tuned to (to allow the buffering function to work).

They are designed to be left in standby and will auto wake to record.

| Mon 15 Jan 2018 12:07:15 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Buckyball - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Now I am just wondering if things changed with the new Humax box (i.e. to now turn off), because there was something wrong with them being on if they were not being used.

It depends what you mean by "turn off". If you mean turn off the electrical power then that is a bad idea; if you mean put in standby via the button on the remote then that is a reasonable thing to do if the box will not be used again for several hours to minimise hard drive usage. Putting it into standby for short periods is equally a bad idea as it subjects all the hardware to more thermal cycles.

| Mon 15 Jan 2018 12:16:09 #9 |
  10. paulrichardson

paulrichardson

It depends what you mean by "turn off". If you mean turn off the electrical power then that is a bad idea; if you mean put in standby via the button on the remote then that is a reasonable thing to do if the box will not be used again for several hours to minimise hard drive usage. Putting it into standby for short periods is equally a bad idea as it subjects all the hardware to more thermal cycles.

Hi Martin,

I've used the timer function to turn mine off at Midnight (we are always in bed by then) and back on again at 6.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Regards,

Paul

| Mon 22 Jan 2018 18:21:36 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.