My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Humax FVP-5000T to replace Toppy?

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Chopman

I am considering replacing my Topfield PVR with an FVP-5000T. However, there are some things I can do with the Topfield that it isn’t clear to me I can do with the Humax (and vice versa to be fair), and a possible omission with the Humax I wondered about. I asked Humax customer support about some but received no response, which I’m fearing means the answers may be in the negative. However, just in case, can anyone out there help with a few queries?

1. With the Topfield I can store lots of TV guide searches, either of individual words, of complete program titles or even of words in the program description, to run each night. For example, I can store “Silent Witness” and when the next series starts, it will automatically be recorded. Similarly, if I store “F1” it will find the next Formula 1 race or practice session, whenever it is on. I can specify a channel range and a time range to search in, so that I can exclude repeats on Dave etc. I can do the same for radio for when my favourite orchestra is playing - shown in the program description but not in the programme name. With the Humax I know I can use series link when the first of a series is in the TV guide, but with the Topfield it doesn’t matter if I don’t notice that it’s on. Is there an option for this sort of search, either within the recorder or using an app? It looks like the option might exist on the HDR-7500T (presumably not available or useable in the UK), but I don’t see it shown for FVP-5000T.

2. On my Toppy I have 6 colour buttons programmed to skip during playback - forwards 5s, 10s, 30s and 3 minutes, and backwards 10s and 20s, which works really well for skipping through adverts. What are the options with the Humax? They appear to be limited to one of 7, 15 or 30 seconds back, and one of 30, 60, 120 or 240 seconds forward on FVT-5000T, and require 2 presses to achieve. On HDR-7500T it seems 2 presses of < takes you back 30s, or 2 presses of > moves forward 30s, so maybe these are also available? I gather the colour buttons can’t be re-purposed during playback – I guess they’re not used during playback? Skipping through ads on a PVR is fairly important, at least for me, so the more options the better!

3. The Netflix button’s nice but I use TalkTalk TV, not wanting a subscription to watch films a handful of times a year. I don’t suppose there’s any way to access TalkTalk from the Humax?

Many thanks for any help.

| Sat 13 Jan 2018 17:47:03 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

1. You can search programmes names/titles, and results are returned for Broadcast/Recordings/More ie YouTube

Up to 10 searches can be saved.

Search results will not automatically set timers

2. Skip is as per your post 7, 15, 30 back and 30, 50, 120, 240 forward.
    Coloured buttons cannot be re-purposed.

3. Not that I am aware of.

| Sat 13 Jan 2018 18:57:56 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Nearest box to a Toppy is a HDR-FOX-T2 running the custom firmware add on. Out of production but you may find a decent second hand model.

| Sat 13 Jan 2018 19:26:59 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

CSA

A couple of months ago I was in exactly the same position I bought a Humax 5000T to replace a Toppy running MyStuff. To be honest I still prefer Toppy + MyStuff but since the drive failed I had to find a replacement and the Humax 5000T seems to be the best box on the market.

I also had lots of word searches setup in MyStuff that automatically set timers. My word searches included series names, actors names, keywords (e.g animal) that would be in the title/description. If you pick a keyword from the title carefully it will also find and record programs that are associated with the main program. I never needed to check the TV schedules!

On the Humax I believe that Series Link will record the next series if it is within 13 weeks but if it is after 13 weeks you have to set the Series Link again. I have not owned the Humax long enough to test this. With the Humax I now have to scan a TV schedule website to find each individual series I want to record.

On the Humax you can change the skip duration as mentioned but it can only be set to one duration forward and a different duration to skip back. On the Toppy I would use a big duration jump forward then small duration jump forwards & backwards until I found the end of the adverts. On the Humax you need to press right arrow - check that the blue highlight is on the timecode if it isn't on the timecode press up arrow to move onto timecode - then press right arrow and left arrow to skip forward & backwards until you find the end of the adverts. You can press and hold to do multiple jumps. I have found that a 1 min jump forward then press and hold briefly to jump forward several minutes - then individual presses of right and left arrow to do individual jumps to find the end of the adverts. Sounds fiddly but I have got used to it and it works OK.

One area where the Humax is a big improvement ... on MyStuff I always used padding to start before and end after the scheduled start time. Do NOT do this on the Humax. Let the Humax start and end the recording automatically. On the channels I normally record this means that the recording will start when the programme starts.

I have got used to the Humax now but you will miss your Toppy + MyStuff!

| Sat 13 Jan 2018 23:19:49 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

I think you'll find the forward skip can be set to 30 seconds,60,120, or240

| Sun 14 Jan 2018 10:36:02 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

john1 - 3 hours ago  » 
    I think you'll find the forward skip can be set to 30 seconds,60,120, or240

Yes but only 1 at a time. You have to go into the menus and change it if sometimes you want a small skip and sometimes you want a larger skip, thus CSA's explanation in post #4 of the process he(?) now uses.

| Sun 14 Jan 2018 14:15:46 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Chopman

Thanks for all the comments about this.

It sounds like the skip forwards/backwards capability is liveable with, but not as good as a customised Toppy could give. Maybe I’ll try raising a feature request with Humax, not that I’d expect much success. There must be free remote-control buttons during playback that could be assigned for 1 click skips.

The lack of automatic keyword searching is disappointing. I suspect something could be done using IFTTT and Google Sheets or something similar, accessing the remote recorder capability, but it’s a bit of effort to sort it out! Or maybe the myhumax portal already does it?

Out of interest CSA, how do you know your Toppy hard drive failed? I’m getting occasional crashes and failed recordings that I put down to the power supply capacitors failing, so I replaced the ones that are recommended and it’s much better now, but not perfect. I recall someone put instructions on the Toppy forum about changing the hard disk, and maybe that’s an option if the disk is the problem.

| Tue 16 Jan 2018 21:06:31 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I think you will find that for the main terrestrial broadcasters 240 seconds is about bang on for the lenght of an ad break.

I have my Freesat box set to this length and find it brilliant. As an example on some programmes the 'sofology' sponsor will play the intro into an ad break. If I hit the 'skip' button right at that point it's an almost seamless 'sofology' intro back into your programme.

| Thu 18 Jan 2018 11:22:49 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    I think you will find that for the main terrestrial broadcasters 240 seconds is about bang on for the lenght of an ad break.
    I have my Freesat box set to this length and find it brilliant. As an example on some programmes the 'sofology' sponsor will play the intro into an ad break. If I hit the 'skip' button right at that point it's an almost seamless 'sofology' intro back into your programme.

Some programmes incorporate a 120 second ad break. It makes no difference satellite/Freeview delivered content is the same when viewing the same channel.

In that event it's a pain to go back in 5 second steps. I prefer 2 mins to check before a second skip.

| Thu 18 Jan 2018 13:12:32 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

Some programmes incorporate a 120 second ad break. It makes no difference satellite/Freeview delivered content is the same when viewing the same channel.
    In that event it's a pain to go back in 5 second steps. I prefer 2 mins to check before a second skip.

I find a 120 second ad break is something of a rarity though Graham. I have only come across a shorter ad break on an infrequent basis if I'm honest. In fact some channels like 'Pick' or 'Film4' run longer than 240 seconds.

Having said that we don't watch much commercial broadcasting as we tend to stick mainly to BBC2 and BBC4 with some BBC1 content thrown in.

I think the last programmes we watched on commercial TV was Gogglebox and Maigret at Christmas.

That is one of the issues that irks me with our BT Youview box i.e. the maximum skip is only 60 seconds, so four presses of the remote. I usually use this as an excuse for popping another chocolate into my mouth in order to keep my strength up. At least that's what I tell the wife.

| Thu 18 Jan 2018 15:25:05 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.