Humax FVP-5000T to replace Toppy?

(12 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 1 minute ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    I think you will find that for the main terrestrial broadcasters 240 seconds is about bang on for the lenght of an ad break.
    I have my Freesat box set to this length and find it brilliant. As an example on some programmes the 'sofology' sponsor will play the intro into an ad break. If I hit the 'skip' button right at that point it's an almost seamless 'sofology' intro back into your programme.

Some programmes incorporate a 120 second ad break. It makes no difference satellite/Freeview delivered content is the same when viewing the same channel.
    In that event it's a pain to go back in 5 second steps. I prefer 2 mins to check before a second skip.

I find a 120 second ad break is something of a rarity though Graham. I have only come across a shorter ad break on an infrequent basis if I'm honest. In fact some channels like 'Pick' or 'Film4' run longer than 240 seconds.
    Having said that we don't watch much commercial broadcasting as we tend to stick mainly to BBC2 and BBC4 with some BBC1 content thrown in.
    I think the last programmes we watched on commercial TV was Gogglebox and Maigret at Christmas.
    That is one of the issues that irks me with our BT Youview box i.e. the maximum skip is only 60 seconds, so four presses of the remote. I usually use this as an excuse for popping another chocolate into my mouth in order to keep my strength up. At least that's what I tell the wife.

There's always one in The Chase.

| Thu 18 Jan 2018 15:27:02 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

CSA

Chopman - you asked how I knew my Toppy's drive had failed... My Toppy started to fail to boot correctly. It would freeze while it was loading MyStuff. When I listened to it I could hear that the drive had stopped spinning. At first it did this every few days and then it started to do it every day. It obviously also caused recordings to fail. To be honest it could be that power to the drive failed rather than a drive failure. It could be that changing capacitors would have fixed it. The Toppy had given me good service over many years so I decided to bin it and buy a more modern box rather than try and fix it.

| Sun 21 Jan 2018 22:02:08 #12 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.