My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Humax HD-1000s changing channels on 2nd TV

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Salamander

Hi,
    I've just switched out my sky 1tb hd box for a humax HD-1000S 1tb box. So far so good! Just have one quick question if someone could please confirm for me?

I am using my existing cabling from main TV to a 2nd tv. It's carrying the HD from the humax over cat5e just like my sky box did (hdmi to cat 5 convertor/baluns at each end) So I can get a good HD picture also on my second TV fine along with sound.

Now the last piece to resolve (changing channels)..
    I do have an rf lead with magic eye running to my 2nd TV ( this was purely to change channel - not carry any picture)

Looking for advice as to the best way forward given my install - to reiterate I already have picture & sound just need channel change functionality.

Is it a powermid type thing? If so is here one in particular someone is using with good results?
    Or do I try and utilise the magic eye already there?

Many thanks in anticipation

| Fri 30 Aug 2013 17:48:45 #1 |
  2. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

The easiest option as the cabling is already there is the TVLink+ unit (TVLink website) which will utilise your existing 'magic eye' but controls the remote box by the use of Infra-red emitters that you mount on the front of the Humax.

I've used one with an old Virgin V+ box in the past.

| Fri 30 Aug 2013 19:15:26 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Salamander

Thankyou for your reply Aldaweb, just to clarify, would I need the TV link + unit as your link PLUS a scart modulator converter?
    Just weighing up IMO options

Thanks again

| Fri 30 Aug 2013 19:27:21 #3 |
  4. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

Sorry for the delay in replying, It's my weekend on call.

As you are using Cat5 cable for the picture and sound you won't need a modulator. You would only need that if you were using RF to deliver the signal. The TV Link + has it's own power brick (whereas the Sky box supplies the power) and you would just need to connect the coax cable between the 'magic eye' and the TV Link + box, it would not need to be connected to the TV at either end.

| Sun 1 Sep 2013 14:53:49 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Salamander

Thanks again for taking time out to explain aldaweb.
    On the link there are 3 buying options , so I believe I would need the one with the PSU @£22.85?
    Sorry for further questions - but I'm intrigued how it can change the channel on the humax box when the co ax cable itself is not connected to the humax box in any way. ie. How is it getting the signal back from the TV link to the humax box I guess?
    Sorry for all the questions - Iove the HD-1000s box, just never used anything other than sky before!

Thanks again for your advice aldaweb

| Sun 1 Sep 2013 16:05:13 #5 |
  6. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

yes the one you need is the TV link + AD kit.

The kit comes with infra red 'blasters' which you fit to the top of the unit to control close to the infra red sensor (but not so it blocks the remote from in the same room). These just relay the signals from the 'magic eye' through the coax and TVlink + to the IR blaster to operate the remote equipment.

See the TVlink+ without Sky box in this diagram

| Sun 1 Sep 2013 16:19:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Salamander

Perfect! And many thanks for your patience explaining! I'll get this ordered.

Thanks for all your help

| Sun 1 Sep 2013 16:28:09 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.