My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Humax pass-thru experiment

(60 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Due to a number of posts on this forum lately regarding both the HDR 2000T and 4000T with loss of signal when coming out of standby, recording or getting ready to record I thought I would look at this issue again.

As many of you may remember I had a problem with my 2000T when I first purchased it. This manifested itself with pass-thru and interference with the TVs own signal. In short once the 2000T was in the circuit and in the wake up phase for a planned recording i.e. approx. 18 minutes prior to recording start, the TV (viewed through it's own tuner) would momentarily go blank then a flicker followed by some picture pixilation.

At the time I tried everything e.g. re-routing cables, Humax to TV direct HDMI cable (bypassing HDMI hub), new cables, better quality poorer quality - basically nothing worked. I introduced a passive aerial splitter which solved the problem completely.

Something however has now changed and I'm not sure what. Setup is exactly as it was previously. I removed splitter from wall and reverted to pass-thru (enabled power on in standby). Now what has changed is this - when I manually switch on the Humax i.e. power button on remote, the TV (being watched via it's own tuner) goes blank completely along with either no signal/no service message. This lasts for a good 10 to 15 seconds, until the Humax has completed part of it's boot phase. This can't be an issue with auto switching of an HDMI port as the same happens (exactly) with no HDMI cable plugged in.

Something has definitely changed. Fortunately, I can simply go back to the splitter, problem solved, though this is an interesting finding.

| Wed 17 Feb 2016 15:22:43 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Is Power Saving in Standby on or off?

| Wed 17 Feb 2016 15:38:24 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Martin Liddle - 1 hour ago  » 
    Is Power Saving in Standby on or off?

Sorry, my typo - power saving in standby switched OFF!

| Wed 17 Feb 2016 16:47:48 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

They stuck the loopthrough fix in after boot.

| Wed 17 Feb 2016 16:55:34 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

The loop-thru fix works when the Humax is switched off as expected. However, when the box is brought out of standby it then cuts the signal to the TV (different input, TVs own DVB tuner in operation).

That happens with or without a HDMI cable so cannot be a handshake issue. This should not happen and would suggest the loop-thru fix is deficient in some way.

| Wed 17 Feb 2016 17:13:50 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 12 minutes ago  » 
    The loop-thru fix works when the Humax is switched off as expected. However, when the box is brought out of standby it then cuts the signal to the TV (different input, TVs own DVB tuner in operation).
    That happens with or without a HDMI cable so cannot be a handshake issue. This should not happen and would suggest the loop-thru fix is deficient in some way.

If you have a scart cable connected the box will auto select the scart input on boot. Have you tried it with just a CVBS cable or a doctored scart cable?

| Wed 17 Feb 2016 17:27:59 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

This a RF issue to do with the ARIAL input from the box to the TV. The loop through on the 2000T and the 4000T temporary cuts out the RF signal to the TV during start up from standby weather it is in power save mode or not. Even if it goes to record even.

| Wed 17 Feb 2016 23:16:41 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

+1 to Bill63’s post.

Once upon a time there was no loopthrough: no RF to TV while Humax is in standby, RF to TV while Humax is on..

Fix happened: now there is RF to TV while Humax is in standby and RF to TV while Humax is on but inbetween, while the box is booting, there is zilch because there is a gaping lacuna between what's been patched in and what was there before.

I would guess.

| Wed 17 Feb 2016 23:37:57 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 6 hours ago  » 

Faust - 12 minutes ago  » 

If you have a scart cable connected the box will auto select the scart input on boot. Have you tried it with just a CVBS cable or a doctored scart cable?

It knocks the Panasonic TV signal out without a HDMI cable being connected Graham - the only connection is the RF lead so not sure why scart would make a difference. Besides, our TV does not have a scart. I've probably got any number of composite video cables but again not sure how this would assist.

This was only an experiment as I don't have any issues in reality as I use a passive splitter. However, something with pass-thru has changed as previously simply firing up the Humax would not knock out the signal when using Panasonic DVB tuner - it's all very strange.

| Wed 17 Feb 2016 23:39:43 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

bill63 - 25 minutes ago  » 
    This is an RF issue to do with the ARIAL input from the box to the TV. The loop through on the 2000T and the 4000T temporary cuts out the RF signal to the TV during start up from standby whether it is in power save mode or not. Even if it goes to record.

This is as you describe. Why should this be though? I have Panasonic PVRs that don't interfere with the RF signal and I have been buying and using products going back to the 1970s with pass-thru e.g. VHS recorders that have never interfered with the RF signal so why can't Humax sort this out?

| Wed 17 Feb 2016 23:46:09 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.