My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Humax streaming / catch up services blocked by VPN

(100 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rjsdavis

Exactly.

I don't think you could do this with almost any other router, Draytek's are clearly extremely adaptable and customisable devices. Most ISP supplied router's could never handle splitting network traffic in this way.

| Mon 17 Feb 2020 18:11:10 #81 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

He went about slightly differently.

That is a more elegant way of doing it. But very glad that all is now working for you.
    Most ISP supplied router's could never handle splitting network traffic in this way

I guess not - nor be able to set up a router based VPN either.
    Which raises an interesting question about VPN use. Very useful for mobile devices when out and about connecting to public WiFi. And also useful for expat folks and travellers to get UK based content in other countries. Hiding home IP address gives increased security. Router based VPN good for multiple devices on home network. But that is not a topic for this forum.

| Tue 18 Feb 2020 9:01:24 #82 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

rjsdavis

GrahamRHK - 1 day ago  » 

Which raises an interesting question about VPN use. Very useful for mobile devices when out and about connecting to public WiFi. And also useful for expat folks and travellers to get UK based content in other countries. Hiding home IP address gives increased security. Router based VPN good for multiple devices on home network. But that is not a topic for this forum.

Exactly, although some other users clearly don't get this very basic reason. It's also useful for encrypting email to/from a local client for the entire local network.

I have found a slight fly in the ointment with the Draytek solution... The router was rebooted after the solution was implemented (not by me), and the Humax/Sony TV stopped working. It took me a little while to realise why they had both stopped streaming.

The solution was simply to change the IP addresses in the IP objects as their IP addresses had changed, and all was well again - but that dang dynamic DHCP is a pain in the derriere sometimes!

| Wed 19 Feb 2020 19:11:33 #83 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

The solution was simply to change the IP addresses in the IP objects as their IP addresses had changed, and all was well again - but that dang dynamic DHCP is a pain in the derriere sometimes!

There is a fix for that. In the LAN settings you will find a sub menu "Bind IP to MAC". The router will always assign your preferred addresses to the devices you want to have, effectively, a fixed IP address - though you are using DHCP.

| Fri 21 Feb 2020 18:06:47 #84 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

rjsdavis

GrahamRHK - 5 days ago  » 

There is a fix for that. In the LAN settings you will find a sub menu "Bind IP to MAC". The router will always assign your preferred addresses to the devices you want to have, effectively, a fixed IP address - though you are using DHCP.

Thanks Graham - good suggestion.

Have just tried it, and bizarrely, the Sony TV and the Humax box have the same MAC address! Therefore, it would only let me bind one IP address, as it would let the second through with the same MAC.

Still trying to get the bottom of how that could happen, so have just left it with the Humax as the single bound IP address for now - so far, it seems to be working.

| Wed 26 Feb 2020 22:48:43 #85 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

rjsdavis - 2 hours ago  » 
    Have just tried it, and bizarrely, the Sony TV and the Humax box have the same MAC address! Therefore, it would only let me bind one IP address, as it would let the second through with the same MAC.

How are you determining the MAC address of the devices?

| Thu 27 Feb 2020 1:28:29 #86 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

rjsdavis

Martin Liddle - 28 mins ago  » 

rjsdavis - 2 hours ago  » 

The MAC addresses are displayed in all tables within the router admin pages, on the main admin page and the ARP cache table amongst others. The router itself determines and displays what they are, and the process of binding the IP to lock it to one particular device, is effectively an automated cut/paste job within the admin tools.
    How are you determining the MAC address of the devices?

| Thu 27 Feb 2020 1:59:12 #87 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

That surprises me. I thought that MAC addresses have an octet which is manufacturer specific and should be globally unique. (Something else to check - it all adds to personal learning!). The two devices should have a label (back, underside...) with the MAC address(es) printed. If you are getting the info from the router have you tried rebooting it?

| Thu 27 Feb 2020 8:53:59 #88 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

I thought that MAC addresses have an octet which is manufacturer specific and should be globally unique.

They are... see here - https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/introduction-of-mac-address-in-computer-network/

| Thu 27 Feb 2020 9:03:20 #89 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

rjsdavis

GrahamRHK - 1 week ago  » 

That surprises me. I thought that MAC addresses have an octet which is manufacturer specific and should be globally unique. (Something else to check - it all adds to personal learning!). The two devices should have a label (back, underside...) with the MAC address(es) printed. If you are getting the info from the router have you tried rebooting it?

It's strange, and something that I'm already investigating with Draytek. As you can see from the image, there are no less than 6 devices all showing the same MAC address.

It would *appear* to be all of the Android based devices that seem to be doing it - the Sony TV, the 2x Roku NowTV boxes, Android smartphones....

Attachments

1. ARP_Table_-_10.3.20.jpg (131 KB, 5 downloads) 4 years old
    | Tue 10 Mar 2020 4:18:46 #90 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.