My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Humax TV Portal

(89 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

son_t - 1 hour ago  » 
    Has anyone noticed this? I was using iPlayer the other day (catching up with HIGNFY), and the sound was awful. Thought it was my AVR and speakers so wasted time messing about with it until I went back to live TV when the sound returned to normal.
    Has it always been like this with iPlayer and the other apps on the TV Portal too?

Sounds like they are talking into a bucket??

No it has not always been like this, think it might be a BBC problem as same programme thru my Sony TV sounds very similar.

| Thu 17 May 2012 13:00:28 #41 |
  2. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Exactly - talking into a bucket - and it's rusty at that!

Goes to show, you can spend hundreds of pounds on AV systems, but if it's shit in from the BBC, then it's shit out into your living room!

| Thu 17 May 2012 13:24:20 #42 |
  3. LokiUK

LokiUK

Does anyone have any info on what (if any) other Apps we can expect to see for the TV Portal in the next year or two?

It was one of the features I thought was most interesting about the new box, but having gone through the trouble of getting it all hooked up I find I only use the iPlayer.

Of particular interest would be a browser like Opera, also other catch-up services. 4OD is particularly good.

Anyone have some inside info? The Humax website is silent on the matter (though it still advertises a non-existent Sky Player..)

| Wed 13 Jun 2012 19:54:06 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

LokiUK - 26 minutes ago  » 
    Does anyone have any info on what (if any) other Apps we can expect to see for the TV Portal in the next year or two?

I doubt you will get much of significance; the effort will go into the new YouView box.

| Wed 13 Jun 2012 20:21:37 #44 |
  5. LokiUK

LokiUK

Really? This is still their most recent product, and the whole point of the Portal surely is to provide longer-term feature upgrades.

Seems a bit of a kick in the teeth to people like myself who upgraded after Digital Switchover.

| Sun 17 Jun 2012 0:04:05 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

LokiUK - 6 minutes ago  » 
    Really? This is still their most recent product, and the whole point of the Portal surely is to provide longer-term feature upgrades.

Why do you think that? It is advertised as providing specific functionality and at least one part of that functionality has never been made publicly available.

| Sun 17 Jun 2012 0:12:56 #46 |
  7. LokiUK

LokiUK

The whole premise behind an app-based feature system is to provide a platform for feature expansion. If you look at a similar system, such as the Panasonic Viera Connect or its predecessor Viera Cast, it was designed to open up the platform for both 1st and 3rd party functionality, as indeed it has done with many apps now available.

Humax Portal appears to be Humax's stab at Smart TV, but seemingly abandoned with only a few apps available. Hence my disappointment, having made the investment in the box, to find they've abandoned it already in favour of the practically stillborn YouView.

Don't get me wrong, the Hummy is still a great product, it just speaks to a certain short-term outlook from Humax the company.

| Thu 28 Jun 2012 10:51:16 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

LokiUK - 27 minutes ago  » 
    The whole premise behind an app-based feature system is to provide a platform for feature expansion. I

Where have Humax said that? It might be what you think but that doesn't make it fact. I agree it would be nice to have more players available (the rest of the stuff is of no interest to me personally) but (with the exception of Sky Player) Humax didn't promise it so I don't expect it. The main hardware difference between the HDR and the Youview box is a more powerful CPU. If that is what is required to support better portal functionality then it is hard to see how it could be implemented on the HDR.

| Thu 28 Jun 2012 11:22:59 #48 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I can't say to much, but when speaking with Humax Towers I do not get the impression that it is abandoned at all.

| Thu 28 Jun 2012 11:31:55 #49 |
  10. LokiUK

LokiUK

Well, that's encouraging Barry.

Martin, I'm not sure why you're being so defensive towards what is a perfectly reasonable assumption based both on the technology they implemented, and years of working in software development. If no more apps are forthcoming, then I'm not going to march on Humax Towers and demand my money back or anything, but it's clear that the Portal is designed for future additions and so it's not unreasonable to ask if they are forthcoming or not.

| Thu 28 Jun 2012 11:44:53 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.