My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

HumaxRW: confusion between Radio & TV recordings?

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Roy22

When the file system of my Humax 9200T's hard drive became corrupted earlier this year, HumaxRW saved the day. Its 'recovery mode' managed to remove the many stored programs, which otherwise couldn't be found any more.

I reformatted the otherwise working hard drive, and returned the saved programs to it. The only snag was that radio programs were now in the same list as TV, not a separate one.

I soon plan to upgrade my HDD, in a non-crash situation this time, and am wondering:

1) Will my latest radio recordings likewise get mixed up with TV ones again?

2) Is there anyway to edit the old radio recordings from earlier this year, so that they move to the radio list?

| Thu 10 Nov 2011 20:54:55 #1 |
  2. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

Welcome to the forum

When you use humaxrw in recovery mode it only save the video file not the other 3 files epg, elu and the important hre. When ts2hrw recreates the hre file it tries to read the PID information from the file but if unable to do so uses dummy information.

This may be why you are seeing the radio programmes in the video list. When used in regular mode humaxrw downloads the extra files along with the .ts file and restoring the .ts file to the drive automatically restores those files as well so radio programmes will be restored to the audio list.

As for your second query the hre file structure is shown here (link) so if you downloaded a radio recording to your PC and one of the previously recovered radio recordings you could use a hex editor to compare the hre files (maybe also an hre from a video file too) to see whether you could spot the difference - perhaps in the PID for video.
    Note: it would be advisable to have a backup of any files you wished to keep from the 9200t before attempting to restore any modified files. You would just need to upload the .ts file to test as the hre is uploaded with it.
    Edit: just re-read your post and see you are thinking of a bigger drive in which case your original would serve as a backup. Be aware that ACE (ATA Consumer Electronics) drives are hard to find now and you may need to usa a SCE (SATA Consumer Electronics) drive with an adapter. Other members may be able to suggest alternatives.

Let us know how you get on

| Fri 11 Nov 2011 22:38:26 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Roy22

aldaweb,

Thanks for your reply, which makes sense. It was the loss of the minor files in recovery mode which caused the radio/TV identity confusion. If I understand you rightly, it's not normal in conventional HumaxRW transfers for this problem to occur. I may well try the editing you suggest, and yes, transferring from old to new HDD using HumaxRW will leave the me the original disk as backup in the event of disaster.

You're right about the scarcity of larger ACE IDE drives, I've left this upgrade a little too late for the availability of such drives, so have bought a SATA 'SEAGATE 500GB PIPELINE HD ST3500312CS' and am going to use an IDE/SATA converter, which others seem to have used successfully.

I'm also hoping to splice in an IDE/USB converter, as shown in the 'son_t' mods, to ease taking off of programs. I don't know if it's pushing my luck to have this in parallel with the IDA/SATA converter, but I suppose there's only one way to find out!

| Sun 13 Nov 2011 19:42:49 #3 |
  4. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

Since your planning on using a SATA drive you could possibly use the SATA cable method employed on the Foxsat HDR with a USB-SATA adapter (some USB-HDD adapters have both) unless your IDE-SATA is drive mounted.

Either way let us know how you get on.

| Tue 15 Nov 2011 19:05:17 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Roy22

aldaweb,

I know it'll be on here somewhere, but could you link to the SATA USB mod you refer to? It had crossed my mind that the USB take-off could in theory come from the SATA side of an adaptor too, but I hadn't stumbled across any instructions at the time. Just wondering if there's any practical advantage to doing it that way.

Can't start my little project yet anyway thanks to the difficulty getting my eBay supplier to actually deliver the rare 2mm jumpers (as opposed to the common 2.54mm ones on IDE drives) required to reduce SATA drive speeds for my old Humax.

| Wed 16 Nov 2011 20:01:53 #5 |
  6. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

The SATA mods were originally on the foxsat machines and as yet are still on the old wiki pages here (link) due to be moved to the wiki here soon.

| Wed 16 Nov 2011 20:51:42 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.