My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

I hate Humax.....a lot.

(37 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

teded

I bought Humax box to get HD channels. No difference in picture quality if you ask me.
    Thought access to internet a good option, bought dongle.
    After 2 days Google grief got it working. Great!!! there is virtually nothing that's any use except for BBC iplayer.
    Humax doesn't support most Youtube vids.
    Can't add any apps.
    Download "updates" at your peril.
    Full web interface doesn't work either.
    Rant over

| Fri 15 Aug 2014 0:30:51 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I like Humax...a lot, at least their older products anyway.

The HD Fox T2 is now about 4.5 years old and still makes sense when paired to a HDR Fox T2 to use in another room as a client

If there's no difference in picture quality then either hdmi isn't being used and/or the TV can't display much better than SD quality

iplayer is brilliant, shame it's going to disappear on the HD Fox T2 soon unless Humax get their act together and release a long overdue update

I don't understand why people moan so much about Humax and Youtube. The HD Fox T2 is first and foremost a HD freeview receiver, anything else is a bonus, and if youtube keep on changing things at their end and breaking legacy code it's obvious youtube at some point will not work properly on 4-5 year old boxes. There used to be a fridge that came with a browser, no doubt with an app to update the owner what the washing machine was doing, nowadays it would have more apps and a scanner and scan the owner's socks and if they're different colours would suggest updating their mobile phone contract as it's at least a day since the phone was last changed. What the HD Fox T2 was designed to do it does well. My mobile phone will do loads of things I don't need, including iplayer and youtube; however as a phone it's pretty useless - poor sound quality and poor battery

Dongles are rubbish most of the time, if a wired connection can't be used then use powerline adapters, only use dongles as a last resort

If the box was bought purely to get freeview HD then, depending upon what was paid, it's a great little box; however if an all singing all dancing box was wanted.... don't buy the HD Fox T2, buy an all singing all dancing one instead
    that's my rant over

| Fri 15 Aug 2014 2:26:55 #2 |
  3. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

Well said.

| Fri 15 Aug 2014 11:12:48 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

teded - 11 hours ago  » 
    I bought Humax box to get HD channels...

...and the problem is?

| Fri 15 Aug 2014 12:02:44 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

teded

It is clear that Humax have pretty much abandoned the HD Fox T2.
    With no update for the iplayer there will be no point in connecting to the internet with this box.
    My TV and HDMI work fine, the quality of HD TV is highly debatable.
    I bought the box and dongle to get HD TV and internet, in my opinion they are both as much use as wellies on an octopus.

| Fri 15 Aug 2014 13:11:57 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

teded - 7 minutes ago  » 
    It is clear that Humax have pretty much abandoned the HD Fox T2.
    With no update for the iplayer there will be no point in connecting to the internet with this box.
    My TV and HDMI work fine, the quality of HD TV is highly debatable.
    I bought the box and dongle to get HD TV and internet, in my opinion they are both as much use as wellies on an octopus.

Research before purchase. Once you've bought, check the device out thoroughly during the returns window, so that you can send it back if it doesn't please you.

In the case of the Fox T2 it would've taken maybe ten minutes googling to find out it's not the most recent model, so is highly unlikely to have the most up-to-date features. Many people like it, for its other advantages. If you don't, you just bought the wrong box. You can probably sell it easily.

| Fri 15 Aug 2014 13:44:40 #6 |
  7. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

Teded - have you pressed the vformat button on the remote by any chance? It should be set to 1080i/p
    There is nothing at all wrong with the quality of HD from these boxes.

| Fri 15 Aug 2014 15:28:29 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

chrisdaniels - 41 minutes ago  » 
    It should be set to 1080i/p

The HD TV that is being used may not be 1920x1080 or UHDTV.

Compared to 720p a setting of 108i/p will make a difference if the TV is 'HD ready 1080p', 'HD TV 1080p'(i.e. 1920×1080) or UHDTV.
    On a 'HD Ready' or 'HD TV' (i.e. 1280×720) there wouldn't be an improvement over 720p, and some of those HD TVs may not cope with setting it to 1080i/p.

But in either situation not 576i/p!

| Fri 15 Aug 2014 17:02:53 #8 |
  9. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

Yep agreed, but I was trying to keep it simple to begin with.. It's all about the scaling.

If you set the res to higher than your tv can support, it will be the tv doing the scaling down to what it can display (which can be poor quality depending on the tv).
    And on the other end of the scale, if you set the res to lower than what the tv can support, it will probably be scaled up by the tv, which again can be poor and introduce artifacts and such.

| Fri 15 Aug 2014 18:37:20 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

teded

TV (HD 1080) and box set up correctly and through HDMI.
    Through 2 days of Googling to get Humax working, I see that the quality of HD broadcasts are highly debatable and like many things these days, the hype doesn't live up to the reality.

I knew the box was not the most recent, but I had no idea Humax had written it off as virtually obsolete.
    It's up for sale now.
    Thanks for your comments

| Sat 16 Aug 2014 11:01:27 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.