My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

I hate Humax.....a lot.

(37 posts)
  1. Wallace

Wallace

special member

Time to make an appointment at Specsavers...?

Seriously. If you cannot tell the difference between an SD and HD broadcast then I would think there is something wrong with your setup.

| Sat 16 Aug 2014 12:51:56 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Out of interest, what will you buy instead?

| Sat 16 Aug 2014 12:57:31 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

Wallace - 8 hours ago  » 
    Time to make an appointment at Specsavers...?
    Seriously. If you cannot tell the difference between an SD and HD broadcast then I would think there is something wrong with your setup.

This is exactly what happened with my dad. He insisted for a couple of years that HD was a waste of time, then he had to get new glasses for an unrelated reason and he found that now he had the correct prescription he actually could see a significant difference between SD and HD.

This was on both an HD Fox T2 (upstairs, on a 1080p 24" TV) and on an HDR Fox T2 (downstairs, on a 1080p 32" TV). Both TVs Sony connected by HDMI.

I agree, if you can't see the difference between SD and HD on Freeview then get your glasses and your TV checked, because there is something wrong in your setup.

| Sat 16 Aug 2014 20:56:23 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I suspect the OP is viewing a small TV (or a larger TV at a greater distance) than it is possible to see the difference between SD and HD (resolution is a small part of the issue, digital artefacts are much more visible on a SD signal).

HD offers a lot more picture detail than SD at the same distance from the same size display, as a result you can view a much larger picture relative to your viewing point.

The OP does not offer the crucial information, how large is the TV and what distance is it being viewed from ?

In addition what make and model is the TV ?. Supermarket budget TV's labelled FULL-HD can have dire pictures.

The bottom line on a opticians eye test display is HD, the key info is how close you need to get to read it

Look at the same chart double the size, you can read it from a greater distance.

| Sat 16 Aug 2014 21:09:28 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

I was told at my most recent eye test that at the standard test distance, only 3% of the population can read the bottom line of the test chart. I'm in that 3%. But it seems likely to me that larger lines higher up would be HD equivalent, otherwise only 3% of the population would benefit from HD. My mum and dad can both see the difference with HD now, but neither of them can read the bottom two lines on the eye test chart at the standard test distance.

| Sat 16 Aug 2014 21:16:35 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Owen Smith - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I was told at my most recent eye test that at the standard test distance, only 3% of the population can read the bottom line of the test chart. I'm in that 3%. But it seems likely to me that larger lines higher up would be HD equivalent, otherwise only 3% of the population would benefit from HD. My mum and dad can both see the difference with HD now, but neither of them can read the bottom two lines on the eye test chart at the standard test distance.

I was referring to the actual resolution of the image not it's size. The TV image is created by rectangular pixels, it's possible to resolve these by magnifying the image to reveal the jagged edge down to the pixel size or simply look closely at a thin straight line object. The eye test image has a much higher resolution than any bitmapped display (monochrome printers can use much higher dot densities than the usual ones our colour printers can manage). To reveal the actual dots that create the image you would have to massively magnify the image way beyond the capability of our unaided vision to detect. A HD TV has a much lower resolution than even a cheap digital camera can manage.

If the test chart was printed using the same pixel sizes as a HD TV uses it would be a valid comparison.

Try printing a 40" print from a digital camera and viewing it from the same distance as you would look at a photograph.

| Sat 16 Aug 2014 21:31:28 #16 |
  7. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

Well teded clearly knows better than the rest of us mugs.
    I can't believe I've been conning myself all these years watching HD in 1080p when it's just the same quality as SD at 576i. Don't I feel stupid now.

| Sat 16 Aug 2014 23:02:37 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

teded

For the polite Mr Thompson,
    Exactly.
    It is the size of the screen and the viewing distance that determines what the human eye can see with regard to 720 and 1080.
    Therefore, there is nothing wrong with my set up or my eyes

I would also add that many programmes are broadcast on HD channels that were never recorded with HD equipment, therefore can never be true HD.
    I remember when HD first came out and people rushed to buy a new tv, only to find there was no HD being broadcast and then when it was, there built in Freeview tuner was not HD.
    It's all a big con and a lot of spend your money hype.

| Sun 17 Aug 2014 11:12:01 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

I see there's no helping some people. Plenty of stuff is made in HD now.

| Sun 17 Aug 2014 11:22:31 #19 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

teded - 42 minutes ago  » 
    For the polite Mr Thompson,
    Exactly.
    It is the size of the screen and the viewing distance that determines what the human eye can see with regard to 720 and 1080.
    Therefore, there is nothing wrong with my set up or my eyes
    I would also add that many programmes are broadcast on HD channels that were never recorded with HD equipment, therefore can never be true HD.
    I remember when HD first came out and people rushed to buy a new tv, only to find there was no HD being broadcast and then when it was, there built in Freeview tuner was not HD.
    It's all a big con and a lot of spend your money hype.

Very little content is upscaled HD (all new BBC content is recorded in HD). If you look at the Radio Times genuine HD programmes are indicated by the (HD) indicator.

No broadcaster has ever used 720p50 in the UK except for IP delivered content like the HD iplayer HD service. If you can't see the difference between iplayer HD and the same content in HQ SD there is truly something wrong.

HD (1080i50) content was only available for a long time on the BBC-HD experimental satellite service from 28.2E. The first Terrestrial HD service was an experimental DVB-T service (1080i50) from Crystal Palace using a low power transmission in May 2006. Anyone in range with a DVB-T HD tuner TV could view these.

The full Freeview-HD service requires a device capable of DVB-T2 which is why many with HD TV's could not watch Freeview-HD.

Every programme on BBC1 HD is in HD this evening with the exception of the late evening film The 51st State at 11:25.

The Freetime epg will offer the programme in HD if booked from BBC SD (It won't if the content is SD upscaled at source).

In fact the original HD test satellite transmissions were truly stunning as they originally used a very high bitrate in excess of 20Mbps.

You would have to be seriously challenged in the eyesight department to not instantly see the difference.

I sit about 4M from a 40" FULL-HD TV, I can easily see the difference between SD upscaled and true HD.

| Sun 17 Aug 2014 12:00:16 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.