My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Intermittent brief drop to NO SIGNAL (both tuner)

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Deev

Hi all,

I've got an 1100S that has been working well since I bought it (second hand) a few months ago, although recently I've been seeing occasional picture breakup which has started getting worse. I've been keeping an eye on the signal strength/quality to troubleshoot and most of the time the strength is showing 80%+ and quality flitting between 90-100% however every so often BOTH tuners drop to 0 and NO SIGNAL for a second, then straight back to how they were before. I did originally suspect that this may be due to tree foliage blocking the signal (as it is quite windy today) however the trees in my garden don't seem to be in the line of sight of the dish - also I'd expect the signal strength to drop in a more linear way rather than going from full strength to zero instantly.

The dish looks like quite an old original Sky Digital dish with a Sky branded MK4L LNB so I did suspect that maybe the LNB is failing? Given I'm losing both tuners at the same time it can't be a cabling fault so I guess it's either the LNB or the box's tuner (although again would that affect both at once?). I'll wait to see if the situation improves when the wind drops, but if not I guess an LNB swap would be the next obvious step?

Good to hear your thoughts

| Tue 1 Jun 2021 14:57:31 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hello Deev,

Have you checked to see how secure your cable connectors are? The Coax connectors can sometimes come loose/often overlooked. Might be well worth checking, undoing & making sure connections are tidy/seated correctly, then when reconnecting, twist the cable very tightly to the connector to form a tight connection. I remember this happening once when installer had originally not connected the cable correctly to the Humax box. Cable had popped out of the connector! Yes, it could also be a LNB problem. Good luck/hope you are able to solve problem. John

| Tue 1 Jun 2021 17:39:24 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

jdlfreetime - 18 mins ago  » 
    Hello Deev,
    Have you checked to see how secure your cable connectors are? The Coax connectors can sometimes come loose/often overlooked. Might be well worth checking, undoing & making sure connections are tidy/seated correctly, then when reconnecting, twist the cable very tightly to the connector to form a tight connection. I remember this happening once when installer had originally not connected the cable correctly to the Humax box. Cable had popped out of the connector! Yes, it could also be a LNB problem. Good luck/hope you are able to solve problem. John

+1

| Tue 1 Jun 2021 17:58:28 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Deev

Cable connections seem secure... that said, given it's hitting both tuners at once I wouldn't have thought that would be the problem...

Saying that, I'm actually thinking it MIGHT be tree foliage - there's a relatively big tree at the end of the garden that may be in the line of sight with the top branches swaying quite a lot in the wind - I thought the angle of the signal was higher but perhaps not... Hmm...

| Wed 2 Jun 2021 7:38:43 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Deev - 2 hours ago  » 
    Cable connections seem secure... that said, given it's hitting both tuners at once I wouldn't have thought that would be the problem...
    Saying that, I'm actually thinking it MIGHT be tree foliage - there's a relatively big tree at the end of the garden that may be in the line of sight with the top branches swaying quite a lot in the wind - I thought the angle of the signal was higher but perhaps not... Hmm...

Go to https://www.dishpointer.com/ enter your location and select 28.2E. Use the obstacle checker - you will need to estimate the height of the tree (Perhaps using the trees shadow and suns angle to calculate).

| Wed 2 Jun 2021 10:41:48 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.