My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Intermittent Sound Issue

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ADAM1234

Hi,

My HDR-1010S box intermittently has no sound through my TV. The box worked perfectly for just over 2 years, but has recently developed this fault. I have tried 3 different HDMI cables thinking this may be the issue but it seems not to have fixed it. I have also tried the box with another TV and have the same issue. The box has the latest software downloaded. Any ideas on how to resolve the issue?

Many Thanks.

| Wed 3 Feb 2016 22:48:24 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi Welcome to our forum.

Try Settings - Picture and Sound - Digital audio out Set to Stereo. Turn up the box volume using the remote to maximum.

| Thu 4 Feb 2016 10:41:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi Welcome to our forum.
    Try Settings - Picture and Sound - Digital audio out Set to Stereo. Turn up the box volume using the remote to maximum.

Graham, I note you always advise in turning the box volume to maximum, I wonder if this is always the best method.

If I look at my own situation - one Panasonic TV, two Humax PVRs plus one Panasonic Blu-Ray player with all audio handled by a Sonos soundbar via optical. I have the 1000s at 37, with the 2000T at 15. When done this way I can switch inputs and the sound is exactly the same on the TV, 1000s and 2000T. If I followed your advice then I would have to keep adjusting the audio as I switch between the various inputs.

Just a different perspective.

| Thu 4 Feb 2016 11:48:00 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 23 minutes ago  » 

Hi Welcome to our forum.

Graham, I note you always advise in turning the box volume to maximum, I wonder if this is always the best method.
    If I look at my own situation - one Panasonic TV, two Humax PVRs plus one Panasonic Blu-Ray player with all audio handled by a Sonos soundbar via optical. I have the 1000s at 37, with the 2000T at 15. When done this way I can switch inputs and the sound is exactly the same on the TV, 1000s and 2000T. If I followed your advice then I would have to keep adjusting the audio as I switch between the various inputs.

At maximum volume the analogue audio out should match that output from kit with fixed level outputs (2V peak to peak from memory), like a Sky box. However no harm in adjusting, I set mine so that SD channels match the uncontrolled HD channel ac3 output. I do of course have multichannel out selected as the box is connected to a AV receiver. With just a TV as the sound source you might as well just output lpcm stereo for all channels.

| Thu 4 Feb 2016 12:16:46 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

Faust - 23 minutes ago  » 

Hi Welcome to our forum.

At maximum volume the analogue audio out should match that output from kit with fixed level outputs (2V peak to peak from memory), like a Sky box. However no harm in adjusting, I set mine so that SD channels match the uncontrolled HD channel ac3 output. I do of course have multichannel out selected as the box is connected to a AV receiver. With just a TV as the sound source you might as well just output lpcm stereo for all channels.

In order to use a Sonos soundbar which uses the spdif connnection you have to go into the secret menu on the TV in order to disable the TVs own speakers. If you don't then you end up with the TV and the Soundbar outputting audio - very disconcerting arrangement I can tell you. Therefore the only sound source is the Sonos which is routed through the TVs HDMI connections then into the Sonos via optical.

The way I have done it ensures complete audio harmony across all inputs. The only fly in the ointment is streaming, especially Netflix where it booms out.

I do have stereo set. The Sonos whilst expensive does produce exceptional sound quality - no doubt helped by its nine speakers.

| Thu 4 Feb 2016 14:28:37 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

ADAM1234

Thanks for the advice above - But have checked the settings and the outputs are set to stereo and the sound is turned up on both the Humax box and the TV. Still having the same issue - any other ideas please?

| Fri 5 Feb 2016 10:00:11 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

ADAM1234 - 1 day ago  » ...intermittently has no sound through my TV...

Try connecting the box via SCART. If the problem disappears it may suggest a faulty connection at the HDMI port on the Humax box. If it persists then there is some broader issue with the sound output.

| Fri 5 Feb 2016 10:06:44 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

ADAM1234

Pollensa1946 - 4 minutes ago  » 

ADAM1234 - 1 day ago  » ...intermittently has no sound through my TV...

Try connecting the box via SCART. If the problem disappears it may suggest a faulty connection at the HDMI port on the Humax box. If it persists then there is some broader issue with the sound output.

Are you suggesting that if using a SCART cable doesn't work I will need a new box?

| Fri 5 Feb 2016 10:11:45 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Thinking more about this...
    1)- is the problem specific to certain channels.
    2)- or all channels.
    3)- is the sound problem accompanied by picture breakup or pixelation.

Conditions 1 & 3 could suggest that...
    - your dish has moved, or water has penetrated your LNB, during the
    recent bad weather.
    - faulty connection at the co-ax inputs, check the F-plug connections.
    I've seen problems like this which were cleared simply by
    carefully terminating the F-plugs and screwing them home tight.

Condition 2 alone and the problem persists with SCART may suggest a faulty box given that you have eliminated all connection problems. One way to confirm is if you have a friend or friendly dealer who will check out your box on their setup.

| Fri 5 Feb 2016 11:48:04 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.