My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

IPlayer’s UHD picture quality

(11 posts)
  1. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

I have found that the BBC iPlayer picture on the Aura was looking too light and maybe overly bright recently. I am also comparing the picture with the iPlayer app on my 4K LG LED tv. I then realised I had turned off HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour on the tv because I noticed it was giving a very slightly overly warm colour to neutral greys on Apple iTunes movies. So turned that back on and switched to cinema colour mode as BBC recommend. It does look a bit better now.
    Does anyone else have similar questions or solutions?

| Sat 3 Jul 2021 15:11:40 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Paul Bton - 5 hours ago  » 
    I have found that the BBC iPlayer picture on the Aura was looking too light and maybe overly bright recently. I am also comparing the picture with the iPlayer app on my 4K LG LED tv. I then realised I had turned off HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour on the tv because I noticed it was giving a very slightly overly warm colour to neutral greys on Apple iTunes movies. So turned that back on and switched to cinema colour mode as BBC recommend. It does look a bit better now.

If you are watching the football or Wimbledon content. The issue is much more likely to be related to your current download speed being restricted due to too many people using the service. Iplayer like others gradually reduces the bitrate to give stable but inferior quality. run a dowwnload test to check. On my LGC9 oled the normal HD channel is way better.

Watching the England - Ukraine match now on two TV's with the aura set set to ouput 1080p50. It;s the best option for me as for the tennis earlier.

However try some of the other excellent 4K-GLG HRD content available.

TBH until you view and listen to content from a good 4K Bluray player connected to high power Atmos system you have no idea how good it can look and sound.

| Sat 3 Jul 2021 20:35:55 #2 |
  3. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

grahamlthompson - 16 hours ago  » 

If you are watching the football or Wimbledon content. The issue is much more likely to be related to your current download speed being restricted due to too many people using the service. Iplayer like others gradually reduces the bitrate to give stable but inferior quality. run a dowwnload test to check. On my LGC9 oled the normal HD channel is way better.
    Watching the England - Ukraine match now on two TV's with the aura set set to ouput 1080p50. It;s the best option for me as for the tennis earlier.
    TBH until you view and listen to content from a good 4K Bluray player connected to high power Atmos system you have no idea how good it can look and sound.

That’s interesting. I didn’t realise the bandwidth was being restricted from the BBC end. I have 100mbs on my Broadband, and consistently shows that on speed tests. How do I run a test of IPlayer’s download speed? It didn’t look pixelated but over bright and not HDR.
    Apple+ 4K HDR content looks good on TV even HD looks good.

| Sun 4 Jul 2021 13:28:28 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Paul Bton - 7 hours ago  » 

That’s interesting. I didn’t realise the bandwidth was being restricted from the BBC end. I have 100mbs on my Broadband, and consistently shows that on speed tests. How do I run a test of IPlayer’s download speed? It didn’t look pixelated but over bright and not HDR.

You misunderstand. I also have 100Mbps. However checking when when say England are playing and a big name at Wimbledon. It fails to get up to this speed.

Iplayer adjusts the content bitrate to a level that can be maintained. If this happens the iplayer 4K content is jerky purely because the bitrate is to low to accommodate 4K HLG-HDR.

Switching to a terrestrial full HD source and letting the TV scale to 2160P albeit not in HDR looks a lot better.

At other times a 4K-HLG -HDR source, looks good especially the travel wildlife content.

A 4K bluray - HDR source always looks and sounds amazing. The much higher 18gbps source makes a massive difference.

100 Gbps is never going to match iplayer.

| Sun 4 Jul 2021 21:08:48 #4 |
  5. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

grahamlthompson - 13 hours ago  » 

You misunderstand. I also have 100Mbps. However checking when when say England are playing and a big name at Wimbledon. It fails to get up to this speed.
    Iplayer adjusts the content bitrate to a level that can be maintained. If this happens the iplayer 4K content is jerky purely because the bitrate is to low to accommodate 4K HLG-HDR.
    Switching to a terrestrial full HD source and letting the TV scale to 2160P albeit not in HDR looks a lot better.
    At other times a 4K-HLG -HDR source, looks good especially the travel wildlife content.
    A 4K bluray - HDR source always looks and sounds amazing. The much higher 18gbps source makes a massive difference.

No doubt the bitrate does vary for UHD Iplayer when under pressure. It would be nice to be able to detect that like in Netflix. It never looked pixilated or jerky for me. It was the overly bright non HDR look during Wimbledon and Euros football. The grass looked vivid green.
    Yes I would like to see some 4K Blu ray content, but after buying a bookcase full of DVDs and then some Blu Rays I was loath to start over again and get a 4K Blu ray player. At least with the Apple movies I bought they upgraded them to 4K at no extra cost.

| Mon 5 Jul 2021 10:57:17 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Paul Bton - 2 hours ago  » 

No doubt the bitrate does vary for UHD Iplayer when under pressure. It would be nice to be able to detect that like in Netflix. It never looked pixilated or jerky for me. It was the overly bright non HDR look during Wimbledon and Euros football. The grass looked vivid green.
    Yes I would like to see some 4K Blu ray content, but after buying a bookcase full of DVDs and then some Blu Rays I was loath to start over again and get a 4K Blu ray player. At least with the Apple movies I bought they upgraded them to 4K at no extra cost.

That indicates your TV settings are wrong . Most likely set to shop mode Vivid.

| Mon 5 Jul 2021 13:37:05 #6 |
  7. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

grahamlthompson - 9 mins ago  » 

I never use that Vivid setting. It was due to not having the ‘HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour’ setting enabled on my LG. Do you have that setting? You probably don’t need that on your OLED.

Thanks for the tip about switching to 1080p in iPlayer. I tried switching to 1080p 50hz on live TV and I think it looks sharper.

| Mon 5 Jul 2021 13:53:03 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Paul Bton - 2 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 9 mins ago  » 

I never use that Vivid setting. It was due to not having the ‘HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour’ setting enabled on my LG. Do you have that setting? You probably don’t need that on your OLED.

Deep colour is 10 bit colour depth. Very few 4K tV's have 10 bit panels. Virtually all are 8 bit (standard).

| Mon 5 Jul 2021 13:57:19 #8 |
  9. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

We’ll obviously my cheaper LG 4K TV does support deep colour. Not sure if the Aura supports it. I just remember the colour looking better on UHD iPlayer. Now I really don’t like it for Wimbledon or Euros. I might need to reset the TV as I’ve done a lot of tweaking. I just wonder if others have found the colour less HDR?

| Mon 5 Jul 2021 17:24:01 #9 |
  10. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

‘Deep colour is 10 bit colour depth. Very few 4K tV's have 10 bit panels. Virtually all are 8 bit (standard).’

I just read that HDR10 is 10 bit colour. So the Aura supports that so is 10bit. But I guess only a 4K HDR10 source will keep it 10 bit all the way through.

| Mon 5 Jul 2021 17:37:52 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.