My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

iPlayer hard crash

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Does anyone else experience hard crashes (i.e. full system reboot) when using iPlayer? Probably every 3rd or 4th time we use iPlayer it will be working for a good while and then randomly freeze, the HDD spins down (i.e. you can hear that) and the machine does a full power-cycle reboot.

We're sort of used to it now and don't really want to reformat the device to see if it the sort of glitch that that would fix, but I've got fewer and fewer programmes recorded to the HDD these days so that might be an option at some point.

Just curious if it's "just me" or more of a widespread issue. I think it has happened once to my knowledge on the Ch4 version of iPlayer too, but not any other streaming service (we have disney+, prime from time to time, don't bother with any ITV programming or Ch5 though).

| Tue 28 Feb 2023 12:13:48 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jlmj2009

FWIW, I've had reboots or hard crashes as you put it. Mainly on iPlayer and YouTube but not exclusively to those applications. I believe it crashes when it's get hot but that's just my suspicion.

I use my TV (LG) for everything now a days as the Aura just gives me constant problems. I solely use the Aura for recorded TV...

| Tue 28 Feb 2023 19:47:32 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

I still use the aura for all TV watching, have very few issues apart from that one glitch with the reboots. Overheating sounds plausible, but it doesn't seem to be any different summer Vs winter etc.

| Tue 28 Feb 2023 19:50:14 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jlmj2009

Same, all live TV and recorded TV for me but nothing else through the Aura.

Ours tends to reboot after a good 10 to 20 minutes of 1080p or 4k video, so I'm not sure the outside temperature would make that much difference. Ours is in a cupboard though which probably does help with the temperature!

| Tue 28 Feb 2023 20:01:19 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Agree, ambient temp shouldn't make too much difference, and we've not got a 4k TV so never get to that level of processing anyway. But I stream everything, watch everything, record everything through the aura, never use the TV for anything other than displaying what the Aura outputs. It's still a great device (for me), though the Thomson DHD4000 that I had way back about 20 years ago still had some features and capabilities that I wish made it through to modern PVRs.

I still can't quite believe that disc based PVR development seems to have stalled. Streaming is all well and good but even the main 5 terrestrial channels don't all support streaming in the same way, especially if you're looking to guarantee watching something but might be 30 minutes late to the sofa.

For me, having (e.g.) the Apprentice scheduled to PVR record so that I can come back from a run at 9:20 and start watching it live is my "default" position. OK, BBC works fine for that (mostly) with iPlayer but if it was GBBO on Ch4 for example I'd have to wait a good while before it appeared on 4OD (or whatever it is called these days!)

| Wed 1 Mar 2023 9:53:17 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.