My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Is it worth buying an FVP 5000T in 2021

(21 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

paulrichardson - 42 mins ago  » 
    I've just bought a CHEAP DTR-T4000 BT box.
    If someone thinks this thread should now be deleted, I understand.

No reason to. The thread may be useful to someone else.

| Wed 30 Jun 2021 17:48:31 #11 |
  2. paulrichardson

paulrichardson

I'm not completely happy with my DTR-T4000.

It's pretty good but I thought I might be able to live stream the channels that are not on my local Freeview Transmitter, but that's not the case.

Is this possible on the FVP-5000T?

| Sat 3 Jul 2021 15:57:26 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

paulrichardson - 2 hours ago  » 
    It's pretty good but I thought I might be able to live stream the channels that are not on my local Freeview Transmitter, but that's not the case.

Without being able to get broadcast source how can you view it let alone stream it ?. If your local transmitter cannot even view it then you are restricted to internet delivered streams. Lots of these ranging in quality from SD to 4K-HDR sources, from free to subscription.

Free - BBC1-Iplayer, All-4 (using a freeview box), You Tube. ITV=player 5-OD.

Paid For The main players are Netflix, Disney+, Amazon prime, Brit Box. plus a few others.

A dish would offer a lot more options especially one based on satellite based enigma 2 or a open Vix based receivers boxes that will allow recording and streaming of any channels you can receive.

A Humax Aura can stream any channels it can get (including Channel4-HD not available on any genuine Freesat box but is on the above receivers).

| Sat 3 Jul 2021 18:57:22 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

paulrichardson - 5 hours ago  » 

If you mean something like the BBC regional news from a different region to your transmitter, then you should be able to set BBC iPlayer on the 5000T to view your region of choice.

On the other hand, if you are talking about using a 3 Multiplex relay transmitter, then whether you can stream it will depend upon which of the COM Mux channels you are hoping to watch.

| Sat 3 Jul 2021 21:39:59 #14 |
  5. paulrichardson

paulrichardson

grahamlthompson - 13 hours ago  » 

Without being able to get broadcast source how can you view it let alone stream it ?.

Hi Graham, I'm sorry, I've used the wrong terminology. I want to watch the channels I can't get via the aerial by watching a stream from the broadcaster.
    As A1944 says, I can do this using iPlayer.

| Sun 4 Jul 2021 9:02:05 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

paulrichardson - 20 hours ago  » 

Live streaming of the linear channels is currently fairly limited on any device. BBC, ITV, 5 and channel 4 all have live streaming via at least some of their apps but, with the exception of the BBC iPlayer are very limited.
    Even when a broadcaster makes a linear channel available via live streaming, there may not be a version of the app yet for any particular device.

When, or if, all the current available live streaming functionality of UK linear channels were to be rolled out to a set top box, then taking someone resident in England depedndant on a limited relay transmitter as an example, the additional channels would be still limited to
    CITV,
    5USA, 5Star, Paramount Network,
    4Seven,
    BBC 4 HD (but not full HD), BBC Scotland, S4C and ALBA.

With the current organisation of Freeview Play, and youview, none of these would be available in the programme guide. Manually starting the relevant app would be required.

There are moves a foot to help expand, and improve, on what would be available for a modern, featured receiver but I'm not expecting that any time soon.

| Sun 4 Jul 2021 13:24:01 #16 |
  7. paulrichardson

paulrichardson

Hi Luke,

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply.

I'm getting rid of Sky for financial reasons and had thought Freeview would be the way to go, but it looks like I'll need a combination of Freeview and my old HDR1100S.

| Sun 4 Jul 2021 14:44:15 #17 |
  8. paulrichardson

paulrichardson

I'm back again.
    The DTR-T4000 BT box hasn't worked out as well as I expected.
    Not keen on the big blue light across the front and the cooling fan (which runs most of the time) is rather noisy.
    So I'm back to either a FVP-4000T or a FVP-5000T.
    I've just been to the Humax support page for the FVP-4000T and was pleased to see that the latest Software Build date is 13 JAN 2021
    Seems like Humax are still giving it their full support.

| Sun 11 Jul 2021 16:09:09 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

paulrichardson - 42 mins ago  » 
    I've just been to the Humax support page for the FVP-4000T and was pleased to see that the latest Software Build date is 13 JAN 2021
    Seems like Humax are still giving it their full support.

I am afraid that is an overstatement; the FVP-4000T and FVP-5000T have never had the software polishing that has gone into the Aura since its release. The software release you mention is a generic fix for a Youtube search issue that affected a number of different Humax models so would have involved relatively little effort by Humax. I could probably fill a page or two with a list of the things that I would like to see fixed but I carry on using my FVP-5000T because it is just about good enough for its many quirks to be tolerated.

| Sun 11 Jul 2021 16:59:56 #19 |
  10. paulrichardson

paulrichardson

I could probably fill a page or two with a list of the things that I would like to see fixed

Hi Martin,
    Sorry to hear that you have so many issues with your FVP-5000T, although from an earlier post in this thread I got the idea that it wasn't your "perfect" box.
    I would love to hear your top 10 quirks, but appreciate the amount of time that will take.
    If you bear in mind that my intention is to buy one for £55.00 or less, do you think I could get something better for the price?

| Sun 11 Jul 2021 17:37:12 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.