My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Is my HDR-1100S Dual band Wi-Fi?

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

My HDR-1100S is currently connected via 2.4GHz WiFi. I seem to recall that the 5GHz band was not shown as an option when I connected a year ago. I would like to use the 5GHz band but do not want to go through all the WiFi setup procedure again only to find I've wasted my time. The Humax shows that it is connected to my 2.4GHz band but does not show the 5GHz band as an alternative. Question 1 - Can someone tell me if the 5GHz band is definitely an option? If so then I will go through the WiFi setup again to see if I can connect via 5GHz. Question 2 - If 5GHz is not an option on old models does anyone know if Humax offer it in latest models or intend to offer it in future models? I have emailed Humax support but they have not yet come back to me. If they do then I will update this thread for the benefit of others.

| Thu 29 Nov 2018 11:06:26 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

Just to confirm that 5GHz is not showing as an option to connect to on my Humax HDR-1100S here is a picture on my TV screen. The 5GHz option would appear as 'Starlight5' but is not showing so it appears I am restricted to 'Starlight24' which is 2.4GHz.

An answer to Question 2 would be appreciated so thanks in advance.

Attachments

1. Humax_-_No_Starlight5_-_V_Small.JPG (119 KB, 1 downloads) 5 years old
    | Thu 29 Nov 2018 13:33:53 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

I forgot to say: -
    1. My router is dual band and my laptop connects to it's 5GHz band with no problems.

2. Humax 'Chat' today - 'Joey' tells me that the HD1100S is dual band and that it supports 5GHz but my stb is in line-of-sight with the router and does not 'see' the 5GHz band. Has anyone else had incorrect advice from Humax 'Chat' operatives?

| Thu 29 Nov 2018 13:43:16 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

Update for anyone interested with same issue: - It seems the box is dual-band and in my case it is the 5GHz connection that is unreliable and so did not appear on network scans but this morning it did appear. 5GHz is not as 'penetrative' as 2.4GHz. So problem sorted.

| Fri 30 Nov 2018 11:29:27 #4 |
  5. Trev

Trev

special member

5GHz is not as 'penetrative' as 2.4GHz.

That's a generally well known fact.

But if your box is in "line of sight" with the router, I don't see why that should be a problem unless "line of sight" is a pretty long distance.

| Fri 30 Nov 2018 11:37:03 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

Distance is 5.5 metres with only the soft padded backrest of an armchair to pass through. Is the armchair backrest enough to affect a 5GHz signal?

| Fri 30 Nov 2018 13:51:42 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

I duplicated previous post but I don't know how to delete this repeat so rather than leave an empty post I thought I would explain why you are seeing this text.

| Fri 30 Nov 2018 13:53:33 #7 |
  8. Trev

Trev

special member

with only the soft padded backrest of an armchair to pass through. Is the armchair backrest enough to affect a 5GHz signal?

I wouldn't have thought so.

| Fri 30 Nov 2018 14:29:39 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

OK, I think this is sorted now. See my related, but slightly different, post here https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/will-usb-wifi-dongles-work-in-hdr-1100s

It just goes to show how WiFi signals are strange beasts.

Thanks Trev for your comments.

| Fri 30 Nov 2018 17:37:38 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.