My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Is the FVP 4000 fit for purpose

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

sleepingcaveman

Hi all

I have had the FVP4000 for 2 months now. Does anyone else find it to be an innovative product but completely useless and unreliable. I am on latest software. But transition around the screens and menu is clunky. Remote control rarely controls anything on easy press once if angled slightly wrong direction. Programme info for past days just disappears .So watching catchup is a nightmare.

Will give it another couple of days. But my patience is at wits end. Back to BT you view box I think and no multi media player. Does anyone else have same issues?

| Wed 8 Feb 2017 22:42:47 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Chirper

Yep!!! Needs a lot of refining that's for sure, and a new remote!! Frustrating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

| Thu 9 Feb 2017 1:49:36 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Is the FVP 4000 fit for purpose

Yes

| Thu 9 Feb 2017 8:58:19 #3 |
  4. RogerB

RogerB

special member

For some time now I have resisted making this post, mainly because it sounds a bit "nah-nah-nah-nah-nah", but feel that the time has come.

I have been a beta tester for the 4000T for a few months and have seen improvement in each iteration of the software (about 4 versions for me, I think) and can honestly say that I do not have any of the issues being reported on this forum. I don't know why - that is just how it is. The slight exception perhaps is the occasional slow response to remote control commands being acted upon. All I have to do is point it properly and that is that sorted. I don't push the technology very hard I have to say - all I want to do is record programmes and watch them.

From what I see on here other manufacturers have their problems and I have to agree that the 4000T could have benefitted from a bit more pre-release consumer research, but as to the question being posed in this thread, then I have to say "Yes - it is fit for purpose".

I am not technically minded and so have not carried out any modifications, neither do I use any special connections, splitters or attenuators (whatever they are).

R-

| Thu 9 Feb 2017 9:50:51 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

HumaxUKNW

I wonder if many of the "problems" are down to which version of the Box & Firmware are exhibiting these "problems"

Excluding "finger trouble" varying boxes do seem to exhibit different problems, with the same software !

Time for a firmware update ?

| Thu 9 Feb 2017 10:21:20 #5 |
  6. Davygogs

Davygogs

Have to agree with Roger........Had mine over a year now & apart from the recent re-boot issue no trouble what so ever!

And that`s with basic BT internet & a loft aerial.

| Thu 9 Feb 2017 10:56:36 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

albacore

RogerB - 1 hour ago  » 
    For some time now I have resisted making this post, mainly because it sounds a bit "nah-nah-nah-nah-nah", but feel that the time has come.
    I have been a beta tester for the 4000T for a few months and have seen improvement in each iteration of the software (about 4 versions for me, I think) and can honestly say that I do not have any of the issues being reported on this forum. I don't know why - that is just how it is. The slight exception perhaps is the occasional slow response to remote control commands being acted upon. All I have to do is point it properly and that is that sorted. I don't push the technology very hard I have to say - all I want to do is record programmes and watch them.
    From what I see on here other manufacturers have their problems and I have to agree that the 4000T could have benefitted from a bit more pre-release consumer research, but as to the question being posed in this thread, then I have to say "Yes - it is fit for purpose".
    I am not technically minded and so have not carried out any modifications, neither do I use any special connections, splitters or attenuators (whatever they are).
    R-

You are lucky. I'm now on my third box (two replacements from Humax) and the losing schedule problems are still there. The box is not fit for purpose - yet!

| Thu 9 Feb 2017 11:03:27 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

sleepingcaveman

Thanks for comments.

I should say I have no Axe to grind re Humax.... had several Humax products over the years and am not really trying to do anything with the FVP4000 that it is not supposed to do.

My main aim was (a) a PVR that I could copy files from to laptop for viewing away from home; (b) simple set it up once and use way for me and wife to stream content to other TV's in house; (c) benefit of more than two simultaneous recordings had some attracation.

BT YouView Box, was performing fine, fast and reliable but couldn't do any of these things. But I thought it was made by Humax for BT so assumed the FVP4000 was some sort of technological advancement.

I recognise the loyal following Humax has, and have to say thanks to forums like this.

Without the posts online from you Barry and others, I would NEVER as a non techie have been able to get the file server functionality working and the right named file paths mapped to my laptop. I would also have not realised there was a software glitch and that something called the SAMBA server needs to be turned on and off and reset periodically to re-establish file sharing.

My main gripe with the product is simple. I am getting shouted at daily... if in the room when my wife is using the Humax box.... that it is so slow and clunky, and why did I waste money on a new toy. It makes more a more peaceful life I fear to give up on my ambitions for (a)(b)(c)above, plug the BT You View box back in, and return the Humax to John Lewis..... who incidentally from a quick look at their website last night appear to have stopped stocking this model.

I will ask them if they can get me a replacement remote control to check that is not a main cause of problems. The range, power, required accuracy of direction of beam or something is atrocious compared to any other remote I use. But the problem is I think more than that.

I can't comment much about how the software has improved. I am on the latest available v1.01.57 30 Nov 16 release since I purchased in Dec 16. The processor/hard disc/programming or whatever it is that controls speed of performance desperately needs to be of a better quality.

To avoid an argument every morning I have had to disable the auto power down and we now leave the Humax turned on all the time. Otherwise the box gets confused if we turn on and access the recordings to play back when the menu to do so first appears before giving it 5 minutes to settle down.

Response to an accurate single press on the remote is sluggish... 3 to 5 seconds just to navigate one item up and down menus etc. So it is never clear that the remote did function correctly.

EPG guide information disappears.. especially the past events.. so making catch up unavailable until it reappears at a time of its choosing.

I am pretty sure that even with room for occasional pilot error it does not always record when set to.

As said even with a reliable home Ethernet LAN in the house, dedicated IP addresses the shared media streaming loses connection back to the FVP 4000 requiring rest on the TV. I can manage it.. but I don't expect on a Saturday night to have to check on the second TV an hour before my wife wants to watch a streamed recording that the connection is still there.. leaving me time to get the notebook out again to reset the damn Humax Box.

Whilst the Humax box is capable of doing what it should do, and quality of recorded pictures is good my box is definitely very sluggish, very frustrating to use. To be honest it is the only product in the house for years which has been screamed at regularly. As said John Lewis seem to have withdrawn the product from their available range, which must say something.

Is another software upgrade imminent?

Nigel

| Thu 9 Feb 2017 11:11:02 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

albacore

The most annoying thing now in this sorry affair is that I sold my wonderful Fox HDR T2 to a mate for £50 which never let me down in any way..I have offered him £70 to buy it back and he refuses to do a deal!
    Humax will not give me my money back so I am stuck with this lemon until, hopefully,it eventually transmogrifies itself into a machine that really IS fit for purpose.

| Thu 9 Feb 2017 11:50:59 #9 |
  10. graham uk

graham uk

special member

All modern electronic has OS Updates occasionally.
    Had our 4000T for 9 months and lost count of continued OS Updates with some improvements with some but also a backward step with others.

After paying (not a small sum) we are doing the testing Humax should have done before it was released.

I feel the 4000T was released before it's time and before full testing, but it's reasuring that Humax is trying to improve the situation and hopefully at the end of the day it will be bug free.

| Thu 9 Feb 2017 12:14:19 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.