My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Is the FVP 4000 fit for purpose

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

grahamlthompson - 10 minutes ago  » 

RichardS-UK - 17 minutes ago  » 
    I would say that the FVP-4000 is "quirky" but is fit for it's primary purpose. It's not as "solid" as my previous Humaxes but it they were just basic single and dual tuner recorders so you could say that they only had one "primary purpose".
    The FVP-4000 replaced a home built 4-tuner Vista media centre PC which was very versatile but must have cost me over a £1000 over the years and was extremely quirky and less reliable than the FVP.
    Bottom line: if my FVP-4000 blew up tomorrow I would buy another one unless there is an alternative 3 tuner recorder on the market which is attracting good reviews.
    Richard

Two secondhand HDR-FOX-T2's is much more versatile especially if you can run them at different locations.

Surely you can't be serious? I would need them both in the lounge for my Wife, who would then have to programme two separate machines without the problems caused by using one controller and remember which programmes are recorded into which machine so she didn't end up with two copies of Corrie and none of Emmerdale (wouldn't quite be the same with series but you get the idea).

I don't think that's going to work.

Richard

| Sat 11 Feb 2017 10:52:51 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RichardS-UK - 30 minutes ago  » 

I would say that the FVP-4000 is "quirky" but is fit for it's primary purpose. It's not as "solid" as my previous Humaxes but it they were just basic single and dual tuner recorders so you could say that they only had one "primary purpose".
    The FVP-4000 replaced a home built 4-tuner Vista media centre PC which was very versatile but must have cost me over a £1000 over the years and was extremely quirky and less reliable than the FVP.
    Bottom line: if my FVP-4000 blew up tomorrow I would buy another one unless there is an alternative 3 tuner recorder on the market which is attracting good reviews.
    Richard

Two secondhand HDR-FOX-T2's is much more versatile especially if you can run them at different locations.

Surely you can't be serious? I would need them both in the lounge for my Wife, who would then have to programme two separate machines without the problems caused by using one controller and remember which programmes are recorded into which machine so she didn't end up with two copies of Corrie and none of Emmerdale (wouldn't quite be the same with series but you get the idea).
    Richard

You can look at and playback all the recordings that are on the other (and vice versa) The HDR-FOX-T2 comes with DTCP-IP DLNA server and client as standard. No need to worry about which machine the recordings are on, the other will play them back. Ideal if you have two TV's no more hassle about what to watch.

Install the custom firmware you can schedule recordings using a Web Browser. With each open on two tabs you can flick between the two tabs see what is scheduled, copy recordings to a PC and add new ones at will on either box. If you want I can post a sample of what you see on my two HDR-FOx-T2's.

| Sat 11 Feb 2017 11:27:21 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

grahamlthompson - 25 minutes ago  » 

RichardS-UK - 30 minutes ago  » 

Richard

Richard

You can look at and playback all the recordings that are on the other (and vice versa) The HDR-FOX-T2 comes with DTCP-IP DLNA server and client as standard. No need to worry about which machine the recordings are on, the other will play them back. Ideal if you have two TV's no more hassle about what to watch.
    Install the custom firmware you can schedule recordings using a Web Browser. With each open on two tabs you can flick between the two tabs see what is scheduled, copy recordings to a PC and add new ones at will on either box. If you want I can post a sample of what you see on my two HDR-FOx-T2's.

It's OK, I'll stick with the Humax as my Wife could never operate the Media Centre (which we had for 10 years!) and she still struggles with the Humax after 18 months ("what's this do you want to watch in HD message which has appeared?"). Anything with browsers and tabs is a non-starter I'm afraid.

Richard

| Sat 11 Feb 2017 11:55:52 #23 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.